Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

That's some bad hat, Harry.
I read your review before seeing it. It was what prompted me to check it out. Many thanks.

1917 (2019)

Fascinating to watch once you realize the intent is to make it look like one complete tracking shot (some cuts are obvious though, others more subtle probably). What particularly impressed me was the detail. As the two soldiers, who are on a mission to deliver orders that will prevent a regiment from falling into a trap, proceed through trenches, tunnels, torched cities, all around you see corpses, rats, debris, but also small reminders of human presence like abandoned photos or dolls. Shades of other movies like Gallipoli and Saving Private Ryan. Well worth it you're new to it. 5/5
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

By http://www.allmovie.com/work/what-happened-was-134607, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=26310379

What Happened Was... - (1994)

Brilliant adaptation of Tom Noonan play is both heartbreaking and full of moments that are touching and relatable. A date between Jackie (Karen Sillas) and Michael (Tom Noonan) that is full of awkward moments, and enticing possibility. Loved it. My full review is on my watchlist thread here.

9/10

Finally found someone who saw this! I must admit it was recommended to me by Ray Carney, and I actually gave it a 10/10 the first time because it was so unique. I tend to LOVE movies in real-time. Noonan's "The Wife" is pretty good, too, with Wallace Shawn.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

1st Rewatch...Director Elaine May triumphs with this dark and claustrophobic drama about a small time bookie (John Cassavetes) who thinks there is a contract out on his life and contacts his best friend (Peter Falk) to help him. This movie brought me through a myriad of emotions, as a matter of fact, it starts off kind of humorous, but it becomes deadly serious and had my stomach in knots for the majority of the running time. Possibly, Cassavetes' finest performance, he doesn't make a flase move here.

Another 10/10, and a movie I've seen a handful of times. Tragic, but one of a few movies I think was funny, especially Cassavetes, who is always funny. I guess it's 'angry humor' (Joe Pesci is another funny guy)..

For those who want to see it, you can pay for it on YouTube, or see it for free, on YouTube

THE GIRL AND HER TRUST
(1912, Griffith)

"Danger? Nothing ever happens here!"

This 15-minute short film is directed by D.W. Griffith who, three years later, would go on to direct The Birth of a Nation. Even though this one might lack the technical prowess and influence of the latter, it is still memorable and most certainly easy to digest. The film is fun and thrilling, and has some neat camera movement in its last act.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Happy End (2017)

Directed by Michael Haneke
Starring Isabelle Huppert and Jean-Louis Trintignant

The last movie of the notable Michael Haneke, so far. As if, this work of his is a bit overlooked. Anyway, I've found it quite interesting. It seems that in the late period of his career, Haneke milds the hard social themes mixing them with some humour.
80/100

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

First time watching this, and it was fine. I expected more based on reputation, so maybe it just hasn't held up quite as well over time. Jack Nicholson is excellent as always, but the plot and themes of the movie seemed rather basic to me. Maybe I'm missing something...
It's possible that you might have been slightly more impressed if you'd seen it in 1975. But I too always thought the picture was over rated. It was a straight Nicholson vehicle for sure, and he was good, but some of it seemed a little pretentious-- especially the portrayal of some of the other patients.

Straight Jacket (2004)
Is a cute and silly rom-com about the lIfe of a Rock Hudson type called Guy Stone and his fake marriage to an unsuspecting fan. While married to the fan he goes from being a playboy to a man in love with a handsome writer.
I loved the premise of the film and was hoping that it would be full of humorous quips and double entendres. It definitely had a few zingers but not enough for me to give it a great review.
I did enjoy the actors. Matt Letscher, who plays Guy Stone is is delicious. The movie also features Carrie Preston as the wife Sally Stone. She is adorable and funny especially in this years The Holdovers. Her real life husband, Michael Emerson, who I love, is Guy's butler and handles the witty quips well. Michael plays the gleefully wicked Leland Townsend, the nemesis of the good guys in The CBS/Paramount show Evil, which is a favorite of mine. I was hoping Matt Letscher had some bigger parts so I could drink him in some more. Unfortunately, he is a steady character actor, but I couldn't find anything I wanted to watch him in. He is a playwright as well. The Gaps in the Fossil Record was one of these plays. It sounds familiar. Anyone from MIchigan seen it?

I forgot the opening line.

By Studio and or Graphic Artist - Can be obtained from film’s distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=63154341

Never Rarely Sometimes Always - (2020)

Rewatch. Reminded what poor Autumn Callahan (Sidney Flanigan) had to go through just because some jerk forced himself on her, and beneath the quiet bravery you can see that something bright and sparkly within her is slowly withering and dying because of it. Throughout guys proposition her and Cousin Sklyar (Talia Ryder) as if they have anything decent to offer other than more of the same. Painful in all the right ways, and one of the best from 2020.

9/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2021/red_rocket.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=68890668

Red Rocket - (2021)

Rewatch. Something from the other side of the tracks. You know, seeing everything that happens to Mikey (Simon Rex) knowing everyone's ultimate fate makes this even more fun the second time around. Another enjoyed rewatch.

8/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=72515787

Skinamarink - (2022)

Rewatch. Freaky experimental film which takes us on a journey where two kids are transported to some kind of interdimensional hell and are left there to fend for themselves until something lurking pounces. The movie reaches deep inside of me and spooks my inner child, still reeling from night terrors.

9/10

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=34316949

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - (2010)

I had this lined up to watch last night, and just before putting it on I trotted over to MoFo and saw @WHITBISSELL! had just watched and reviewed it. What are the chances? (actually, that's happened to me once before here.) I'm sure I saw this when it came out, but it felt like a fresh viewing cause I didn't remember much. Really funny - I love Alan Tudyk - he was marvelous on series one of Doom Patrol. So, it's all about subverting the backwoods/backwards hicks being the monsters trope and instead the college kids go up against really friendly and well meaning hicks. It's just, accidental happenstance makes it seem like Dale Dobson (Tyler Labine) and Tucker McGee (Tudyk) are maniacs - and that's where the film really works it's magic ("We have your friend!!!") So many goofy ways to die in gloriously gory ways.

7/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=34316949

Carriage to Vienna - (1966)

Recently widowed Krista (Iva Janžurová) is forced to transport two German deserters to Vienna in her wagon, despite the fact the Germans had only just executed her husband. As they travel, she plans and prepares her vengeance - but the further they travel, the more complex the situation becomes. Great, underseen Czech war film - my review is on my watchlist threat here.

8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Wolf Creek - (2005)

This guy should be in a Mortal Kombat game or something.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

First time watching this, and it was fine. I expected more based on reputation, so maybe it just hasn't held up quite as well over time. Jack Nicholson is excellent as always, but the plot and themes of the movie seemed rather basic to me. Maybe I'm missing something...

Yeah, the movie never clicked for me either. I've never understood why Nicholson's character is supposed to be a great guy. He really isn't. He's a loudmouthed, self-serving braggart that messed around with at least one underage girl.

Also, I didn't think Nurse Ratchet is the villain the movie tries to make her out to be. Unprofessional and cold, sure, but the electric shock therapy and
WARNING: spoilers below
lobotomy
would've completely been the call of the doctors above her, not her.

Teaching genuinely mentally ill people that they don't have to listen to nurses and doctors is not going to help anyone.

Shadowzone (1990) was like a zero budget version of From Beyond (1986), a far superior movie. It had enough gore and beautiful female nudity to keep it going, but it was neither scary or thrilling.

The main hero goes to incredible lengths to never once show an emotion. He's either staring, squinting, or smiling. That's all he's got.

It's always nice to see James Hong when you didn't expect him, though. He always does his best with what he's got.

I did like the look of the alien, and other practical effects. I wouldn't call it scary, but it was interesting.

"C"

Yeah, the movie never clicked for me either. I've never understood why Nicholson's character is supposed to be a great guy. He really isn't. He's a loudmouthed, self-serving braggart that messed around with at least one underage girl.

Also, I didn't think Nurse Ratchet is the villain the movie tries to make her out to be. Unprofessional and cold, sure, but the electric shock therapy and
lobotomy

Teaching genuinely mentally ill people that they don't have to listen to nurses and doctors is not going to help anyone.
I don' t think that the point of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is that he's a great guy. (And it's been a long time since I saw the movie or read the book, so I often mix the two--though they mostly align). The other characters look up to him because he's willing to buck the system and try to assert some control.

People who are mentally ill need help and support, but the systems in place that are theoretically supposed to help them often fail them, in no part due to people who see their job as being about asserting control over those in their care. Have you seen Titticut Follies, for example? Or read/seen any accounts of what it was like to be in a mental health facility (nevermind a criminal mental health facility) in the 60s/70s?

The book/film would hit very differently if there was a sense that the people in charge had genuine empathy for the patients and a desire to rehabilitate them. But instead, they are engaged in a power struggle, with Ratched in particular clearly taking pleasure in the power that they have over the people in their care and the other staff at best indifferent. If you think about someone having the power to put drugs in your body, control whether you eat or don't eat, do BRAIN SURGERY on you---all without your consent? That is a nightmare.

lobotomy

Seen this movie many times. I love it.

I don' t think that the point of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is that he's a great guy. (And it's been a long time since I saw the movie or read the book, so I often mix the two--though they mostly align). The other characters look up to him because he's willing to buck the system and try to assert some control.

People who are mentally ill need help and support, but the systems in place that are theoretically supposed to help them often fail them, in no part due to people who see their job as being about asserting control over those in their care. Have you seen Titticut Follies, for example? Or read/seen any accounts of what it was like to be in a mental health facility (nevermind a criminal mental health facility) in the 60s/70s?

The book/film would hit very differently if there was a sense that the people in charge had genuine empathy for the patients and a desire to rehabilitate them. But instead, they are engaged in a power struggle, with Ratched in particular clearly taking pleasure in the power that they have over the people in their care and the other staff at best indifferent. If you think about someone having the power to put drugs in your body, control whether you eat or don't eat, do BRAIN SURGERY on you---all without your consent? That is a nightmare.
Ugh, Titicutt Follies was gruesome to watch. (Huge fan of Wiseman.) I did finish it, but never ever again.

Rewatch. Very good movie though not entirely sure of all the plot points. Chiefly watched it for Andrew Garfield performance.

1st Rewatch...Upon completion of my first rewatch, I still have troubling buying Veda's transformation from mediocre classical pianist to flawless coloratura soprano. To me, it's akin to a dishwasher quitting his job to become a nuclear physicist, but other than that, this 2011 HBO miniseries loosely based on the 1945 Joan Crawford classic, but more specifically on James M. Cain's novel, where certain characters and plots are allowed to be fleshed out the way the '45 Crawford classic could not. This exquisitely mounted miniseries is beautifully directed by Todd Haynes and earned five Emmys, including Outstanding Limited Series, Lead Actress for Kate Winslet's extraordinary work in the title role and Outstanding Lead Actor for Guy Pearce as Monte Baragon. Mention should also be made of Evan Rachel Wood and Bryan F O'Byrne, who both received nominations for their performances as Veda and Mildred's first husband, respectively. Spectacular settings and costumes are the icing on this deliciously entertaining cake.