Please tell me what kind of laptop you use.

Tools    

Well, I have used many brands of laptop such as HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo and LG. Recently one of my friend suggest me to use Apple MacBook Air (M1 chip) and now I am using Apple MacBook Air (M1 chip). Well, it has amazing performance.
Thanks

You ready? You look ready.
If you haven't already bought I would wait. You've got back to school sales starting in less than a few weeks, so there's going to be tons of options then. And be sure to check out Slickdeals for sales. Most of the time there will be comments on the posts that will do a good job of steering you away from the crappier sales.

And if you're not risk adverse you could go on eBay and find a B-stock laptop.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

...And if you're not risk adverse you could go on eBay and find a B-stock laptop.
I've bought all my computers used from eBay, they are fully guaranteed and can be returned if they have a problem...none ever did.

I just bought my wife a 'new' used HP Pro Book it has more than enough CPU power, ram and HD graphics along with the bells and whistles for any project, except playing high end video games which we don't do. It looks brand new and cost only $135 with free shipping. All I had to do was insert the old SSD from the last laptop and so didn't even need to transfer any files. Easy peasy.

@Citizen Rules:

Yeah, my college laptop was a B-stock: a ThinkPad X61. Originally cost a little over $2k the way it was specced out, but we got it for around $1200. I still have that laptop and it still works. Albeit it can only run Linux and even then it can only browse a few webpages at once. But it’s a machine from 2007, and I’ve used the piss out of it. Fair to say it was worth the investment.

@Citizen Rules:

Yeah, my college laptop was a B-stock: a ThinkPad X61. Originally cost a little over $2k the way it was specced out, but we got it for around $1200. I still have that laptop and it still works. Albeit it can only run Linux and even then it can only browse a few webpages at once. But it’s a machine from 2007, and I’ve used the piss out of it. Fair to say it was worth the investment.
When I first joined MoFo about 8 years ago I had a Dell Dimension 8100 from 2000, worked fine but couldn't load modern web pages very fast. I used that up until six years ago.
https://www.zdnet.com/product/dell-dimension-8100/

I recommend going to the Walmart website and sign up for an account. It allows you to choose your local Walmart store. With an account, you could look for what you want and if you click on the item you're looking at, it will tell you if it's in stock or not and even tell you what aisle it's in. I love it. There's even an option to look at items that are already in the store which is convenient. I use the site info to work on my shopping list.
Good to know. Didn’t know any of this.

Well, I have used many brands of laptop such as HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo and LG. Recently one of my friend suggest me to use Apple MacBook Air (M1 chip) and now I am using Apple MacBook Air (M1 chip). Well, it has amazing performance.
Thanks
I’m very attracted to the Apple Air, but, for my needs, the cost isn’t justified.

If you haven't already bought I would wait. You've got back to school sales starting in less than a few weeks, so there's going to be tons of options then. And be sure to check out Slickdeals for sales. Most of the time there will be comments on the posts that will do a good job of steering you away from the crappier sales.

And if you're not risk adverse you could go on eBay and find a B-stock laptop.
Good to know. For what it’s worth, I would not buy a laptop that someone else has owned. I have to have something brand-new.

The Laptop From Hell.
LOL. That’s what I call my cheap little cell phone. This phone has a mind of its own & it enjoys devouring notifications & other items of importance to me.

I’m very attracted to the Apple Air, but, for my needs, the cost isn’t justified.
Honestly, you’re not going to find a better laptop for cheaper than an Air. It’ll easily last you 5-6 years and with AppleCare any possible repairs you might need are going to be cheap. And if they can’t fix it they have been known to fully replace devices.

As far as general everyday tasks go that’s exactly what the Air was made for, so not entirely clear why you’d be against it when it sounds like exactly what you want/need.

Also, clarification: B-stock is a new laptop that can’t legally be sold as new because it was returned, but it’s still a new laptop. For instance, a business orders too many laptops and sends back the extras.

Honestly, you’re not going to find a better laptop for cheaper than an Air. It’ll easily last you 5-6 years and with AppleCare any possible repairs you might need are going to be cheap. And if they can’t fix it they have been known to fully replace devices.

As far as general everyday tasks go that’s exactly what the Air was made for, so not entirely clear why you’d be against it when it sounds like exactly what you want/need.

Also, clarification: B-stock is a new laptop that can’t legally be sold as new because it was returned, but it’s still a new laptop. For instance, a business orders too many laptops and sends back the extras.
I’d love an Air, but am reluctant to pay $1,000 when people in this thread have spend much less. $1,000 is a lot of money!

Good to know about B-stock never heard of this term.

@Stirchley Maybe this will help:
Do you need your next laptop to do anything different than what you normally do on your tablet?

If you're going to do the same type of things on both devices and you don't want to spend a lot of money than a Chromebook sounds like the solution.

@Stirchley Maybe this will help:
Do you need your next laptop to do anything different than what you normally do on your tablet?

If you're going to do the same type of things on both devices and you don't want to spend a lot of money than a Chromebook sounds like the solution.
I’m thinking too a Chromebook might be best for my requirements such as they are.

You haven't really detailed exactly what you're trying to do with your new machine, so everything we are saying is guess work. If you're just trying to pay bills and read the news than you'd be better served with a tablet and a keyboard than a Chromebook. At least that's just my opinion.

I’d love an Air, but am reluctant to pay $1,000 when people in this thread have spend much less. $1,000 is a lot of money!

Good to know about B-stock never heard of this term.
You can source a MacBook Air with AppleCare from Best Buy for $973. And yes, while that is a lot of money you get what you pay for.

Whilst a Chromebook will save you money on the front end you could very possibly end up in a situation where either a.) Google stops providing updates for that particular version or b.) the laptop is not able to perform a task because of the nature of it being a web-based product. And then you're right back to buying yet another machine. Build quality is also usually spotty and could prove difficult for repairs down the road (i.e. you might break something that can't be fixed and then once again you gotta buy a new device), so you really gotta do your research on whichever model you do end up buying.

Here's a little information to read to get a bigger picture of what I'm talking about.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023...-updates-left/

A system of cells interlinked

You haven't really detailed exactly what you're trying to do with your new machine, so everything we are saying is guess work. If you're just trying to pay bills and read the news than you'd be better served with a tablet and a keyboard than a Chromebook. At least that's just my opinion.

You can source a MacBook Air with AppleCare from Best Buy for $973. And yes, while that is a lot of money you get what you pay for.

Whilst a Chromebook will save you money on the front end you could very possibly end up in a situation where either a.) Google stops providing updates for that particular version or b.) the laptop is not able to perform a task because of the nature of it being a web-based product. And then you're right back to buying yet another machine. Build quality is also usually spotty and could prove difficult for repairs down the road (i.e. you might break something that can't be fixed and then once again you gotta buy a new device), so you really gotta do your research on whichever model you do end up buying.

Here's a little information to read to get a bigger picture of what I'm talking about.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023...-updates-left/
Thank you very much.

I thought you were looking for a more budget friendly computer, and Apple products are among the more expensive options, but I think you'll be happy with it. I had a Macbook Air previously and thought it was a good computer. I bought a refurbished Macbook pro about five years ago, so it's 6 years old now, and I'm getting ready to replace it soon. The natural lifespan of a laptop to be running close to as well as when you initially bought it is about 5-7 years, and I'm past 6. Apple definitely makes good products, but in my opinion, and I'm speaking as someone who owns an IPHONE, an Apple TV, and a Macbook Pro, they are all grossly overpriced. For a new laptop, I think I'll need to spend $2,500 plus tax, for a base model, and that's just too much money for a laptop, in my opinion. This one will be a little larger (16.2 inches v. 15.4), and I think the screen quality will be a little better, as technology for screens has improved in the past 6 years, but there probably won't be massive differences between the two for what I use the computer for.

One thing to keep in mind when buying a new laptop is to really think through what your needs are and if the top of the line model is really essential for you. For example, for me, based on what I use the computer for, I really don't need a Macbook pro, but I want to have the largest screen possible, with the highest quality resolution, and those are only available on the Macbook pro. But, if I didn't care that much about that, based on the tasks I do with the computer, I could meet all of my needs with the significantly cheaper Macbook Air. ROKU also provides much the same product as an Apple TV as well, at a much cheaper price. I think Apple TV has a better user interface, and the picture quality is a bit better, but again, if you don't care about these features, a ROKU is a better choice for the money. The reason I'm not doing that is that I had a Macbook Air in the past, and having a smaller, worse quality screen was a noticeably negative change for me when I tried to transition (at that time Macbook Airs were 13 inches), but that may not bother everyone, and if it doesn't, the cheaper option is arguably the better choice.

"Doesn’t have to be anything special like the Apple Air." - Yeah but.

I'm doing this on a MacBook Pro that now has 6 years on it, has a terrific screen, and still works as well as day one. They're not cheap, but they are fast, have great screens and work really well. On the dollar-per-day calculation it's been fairly cheap.