Best Director Oscar 2015

Tools    

Who will be named Oscar's Best Director?
3.57%
1 votes
Wes Anderson, THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
25.00%
7 votes
Alejandro González Iñárritu, BIRDMAN
71.43%
20 votes
Richard Linklater, BOYHOOD
0%
0 votes
Bennett Miller, FOXCATCHER
0%
0 votes
Morten Tyldum, THE IMITATION GAME
28 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Without spoiling anything I can think of three key moments in the film regarding each of the main characters where there are sudden changes within them that I have trouble justifying. Typically I don't pick at this kind of issue but in this case the director goes out of his way to create this deep, dark, brooding character piece and then appears to approach the finish line, disappear for the last 10 meters, and then reappear on the other side. Not sure if that makes sense to you.
I'm not sure what you're specifically referring to, but there was one thing that I thought was a bit rushed:

WARNING: "Foxcatcher" spoilers below
Channing Tatum's character. He does cocaine, and then all of a sudden becomes someone who'd rather lounge around, eat sh*t, smoke and watch TV with his friends, then John Du Pont hits him, and then he hates him for the rest of the film.

But apart from that I thought it was pretty great, and I loved Carell and Ruffalo in it especially.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If you don't want to give Boyhood best picture, fine do that.

But Linklater HAS to win Best Director. He HAS to.

Suspect's Reviews

Richard Linklater has already won the Golden Globe and Bafta awards, so he will win the Oscars for the Best Director.

Until the last couple weeks it seemed like Richard Linklater had this one all sewn up, but after the DGA Award went to Alejandro González Iñárritu, now it's a horse race! Will Iñárritu pull it out? Did Linklater peak too early? No matter who wins, will there be another Director/Picture split? It has been splits the past two years and has never split three years in a row in the modern era. Will it be Oscar history in the making this Sunday?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For anyone who has about two and a half hours to spend, the DGA has put up the video of their entire Q&A event with the five DGA Award nominees, which are the same as the Oscar nominees except for Foxcatcher's Bennett Miller replacing American Sniper's Clint Eastwood.

http://www.dga.org/Events/2015/Mar2015/MTN_FF2015.aspx

Make a better place
My vote goes to Richard Linklater

I initially voted for Linklater, but to be honest Iñárritu deserves it more for Birdman.

Yes, I know that it took Linklater 12 years to make Boyhood, which is a remarkable and groundbreaking feat, but Iñárritu broke ground and made something remarkable too with the whole movie looking like one long and continuous take.

It's my guess now that Iñárritu will win Best Director, Birdman will win Best Picture, and Linklater will win for Best Screenplay.

What are your thoughts on this?

As I say every year, you can bet against the DGA Award winner if you want to, and it's not a 100% perfect barometer, but it's as close as you're gonna get. The wins in Picture and Director for Birdman became a bit less of an upset after Alejandro González Iñárritu won the DGA Award a couple weeks back. The legacy of Linklater's Boyhood is secure, even without it winning the biggest Oscars it was up for, and the next couple years you gotta figure any meetings he takes with the money people in Hollywood should still have a high percentage of him securing financing for more projects. But Iñárritu is the one who gets to add "Oscar winner" to his resume.

I don't think there is any doubt that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has diversity issues to address, definitely in terms of its membership and thus a resulting votership...but you can't really knock the Director's branch for what they have done in terms of diversity, of late. This makes three years in a row with a non-White being named Best Director: Ang Lee (Life of Pi), Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity), and now Alejandro G. Iñárritu (Birdman). And while the two previous winners before that were about as White as White can be (Englishman Tom Hooper for The King's Speech and Frenchman Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist), the winner six Oscars ago was Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker, the first woman to ever win Best Director.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	osc innaritu.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	20060  

I know it's not exactly a trend and I'm talking about a pretty small sample size, but I love the tightly coiled films this generation of Mexican directors are churning out, and I'm really happy to see them take back to back wins in this category.

Great win, very happy for the guy, loved the speeches he gave.

And in case anyone was curious if Alejandro's use of the phrase "smells like balls" in his Best Director acceptance speech (which is a line from the film, BTW) is some sort of dubious Oscar first, it actually isn't. Those who are Academy Awards obsessives like me will remember that the legendary Cecil B. DeMIlle quipped, "This script smelled like balls, but I made the damn thing, anyway!" when the ironically named The Greatest Show on Earth won Best Picture at the 1953 Oscar ceremony.

You can look it up!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	DeMille.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	20063