1984 Remake

Tools    

--- I already checked on the search option if this topic was discussed yet, and it seems like it hasn't.----
I've just read "1984" last year in school, and I thought what a great book. I already saw the older version with John Hurt and Suzannah Hamilton...which was truly amazing. But, I was thinking...with many movies nowadays, if it would be appropriate for a remake.
I think it would be somewhat....interesting to see what they would turn out like who to be cast, and what kind of director(best suited for today's film industry) would take over.
What are your thoughts? If you have any cast notes or director notes, please share.

Sounds like it would make one hell of a remake! The original is kind of overly morbid, I thought. A remake would be well worth it! I vote for Ridley Scott to direct.

I completely agree on Ridley Scott, especially after seeing that Apple Computers commercial he directed, which was based on 1984.

Originally Posted by TwentyOne
I completely agree on Ridley Scott, especially after seeing that Apple Computers commercial he directed, which was based on 1984.
Excellent point! That was a brilliant take on 1984.

A system of cells interlinked
I love the story, and the old film. At this point so much material has been done that "borrows" from 1984, that I am not sure people need another 1984 retelling, even if it's actually 1984. Films like Brazil, Equilibrium, and many other films either outright steal the whole concept, or ape various parts from Orwell's dystopic cautionary tale. I do agree that today, the production design on a re-done 1984 for would be something to see, as the last film had sets that cost about 49 cents. It was still well done though...

there's a frog in my snake oil
1984 was definitely ingenious in how it saved budget and created a believable 40s-future world. I remember disliking the grimness when i saw it first as a kid, but on a later watching i really dug the chilling aspect it added and how it subverted the idea of futurism. And it probably fitted in well with what Orwell envisioned.

Plus the acting was top notch

I think another dystopian masterpiece that could do with a well-handled cinematic dusting off is Brave New World. It's still got so much to say, and will continue to do so, methinks.

And my link keep on vanishing...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'd like to see a retelling, if it's true to the original book.
I didn't know there was an old movie.
I think Soderberg could be a good director for it.

Originally Posted by Henry Oriental
And my link keep on vanishing...

Your links are being deleted because they are SPAM... you, yourself, have been banned, three times thus far, because you thought you could post the same SPAM under different usernames -- Kind, Mikkonen, and Henry Oriental.

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I would pay to see it in a heartbeat if Terry Gilliam, David Cronenberg, or Werner Herzog were at the helm. As far as the actors go…I would like to see Ray Fiennes play Winston, and Cate Blanchett play Julia.

Oh, by the way…the appropriate ‘spelling’ for this title is Nineteen Eighty-Four, not 1984.

This is a fantastic book with perhaps the greatest final sentence ever. I’m a little bummed that this is just a wish thread, and not fact.

Whatever. Not too interested.

Love that they are making a new 1984 (although I am quite sick of remakes) I think the team that made "Se7en" would be an awesome combo--Director David Fincher and screenwriter Andrew kevin Walker.

Alex Proyas would also be an awesome director pick (he did "The Crow", "Dark City", and "I Robot". I love Ridley Scott, but think his style is to strict to bring a fresh feel to the movie.

Let's just pray that they don't give it to the latest guy who's done two MTV music videos. Wait... does MTV still have music videos?

1984, with today's film technology is a film to look forward to, Using CGI and digital cinematography in a way that captures the real essence of what George Orwell Dystopia really have to offer could be a very powerful message for our society. I don't think there are directors yet prepared for the magnitude of such a project, However putting together a team of screenwriters and directors there is no need to remake the first version of the film. Lets think of a fresh and new Idea within the original idea.

1984/2012

North American Scum!
If only if only. I'm sure a remake will happen in my lifetime though. One of the most devastating books I have ever read and there is no way Hollywood can stay away from such amazing source material. Let's just pray that if it ever is remade they don't butcher it.

Also...really digging Ralph Fiennes as Winston. Rachel Weiz as Julia perhaps...I don't know ever since The Constant Gardner I consider them a couple.

The book cannot be faithfully adapted, I think it is impossible, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the films that tried. Alas, another generation will get a chance to see an attempt to translate it to the big screen, and I hope they are encouraged to read the book, it is an important one. In 2010 another rendition will be released.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Lets think for a second that the movie is already made, a whole cast by A-lister actors from hollywood have been put together, a budget of 108 million US and a crew with the size of a football match. Ridley Scott on board to direct and all that... at the end of the day is the fresh Idea what matters. The book could be adapted faithfully only if a good idea comes along and tunes with the book... Read the headlines in today's newspaper. There is the answer to this>>> Credit crunch.

A system of cells interlinked
I fail to see the connection. The material doesn't need a re-imagining, IMO. It's fine the way it is, and the earlier film works very well. This idea HAS been re-imagined several times already in Brazil, Equilibrium et al.

Sorry, but, a big budget and the addition of CGI does not a good film make.

In the Beginning...
Sorry, but, a big budget and the addition of CGI does not a good film make.
I'm not sure what CG the guy said a 1984 remake would need anyway. The dystopian landscape isn't anything out of, like, Star Wars. It's pretty gritty and founded in the real world, and Children of Men has already captured a very similar vision without much use of CG. A 1984 remake with heavy CG would be doubleplusbad, methinks.

I'm more looking forward to the Brave New World (1984's older cousin) film due in 2011, this idea I think can benefit from the modern CGI technology, plus the versions so far have been made-for-tv and made-to-suck.