Pan's Labyrinth

→ in
Tools    

The Fabulous Sausage Man
This is beginning to sound like the complains people had for Babel. "But...how does that story connect to this story?!"

The stories are connected thematically, not literally. As I said, the two leads are foils for each other - they're both believers (one believes in a fantasy world, one believes in a corrupt ideology) but one obeys without question, while the other occasionally disobeys (and this is the very thing that leads to her salvation), ect., ect. It's not really the kind of film you should watch and wait for it to answer your questions about why things are being shown to you.

This was my favorite movie last year. I didn't read as much into it beyond the obvious juxtaposition of reality versus fantasy with a leap of faith at the end, and there was no doubt in my mind that the fantasy world was meant to be real. I mean, it is a fairytale not a tragedy.

The whole point of Pan's Labyrinth in my opinion is that the modern adult needs a fairytale way more than children do. It doesn't deviate much from classic mythos besides. Many fairytales have revolved around orphaned, neglected or introverted children in difficult times. It's just that none of them had an R rating. ^^

On a side note, I recently learned that the song Pneumonia on Bjork's new album was directly inspired by Pan's Labyrinth.

get over the sorrow, girl
the world is always going
to be made of this
you can trust in it
unless you breath in bravely

i adore how you simply surrender to high

and your lungs are mourning
t-b style
all the stillborn love
that could have happened
all the moments
you shouldn't have locked up

and understand so clearly
to shut yourself up
is the hugest crime of them all
to not want them humans anymore

This is beginning to sound like the complains people had for Babel. "But...how does that story connect to this story?!"

The stories are connected thematically, not literally. As I said, the two leads are foils for each other - they're both believers (one believes in a fantasy world, one believes in a corrupt ideology) but one obeys without question, while the other occasionally disobeys (and this is the very thing that leads to her salvation), ect., ect. It's not really the kind of film you should watch and wait for it to answer your questions about why things are being shown to you.
I think Babel's stories tied together really well, especially when compared to this movie.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Fan-bloody-tastic film. Its a beautifull story that feels so much like Hollywood hasn't had its grubby 'make everything parent friendly' hands on it. Its not afraid to hurt the good guys or move into far darker realms than other fairytale like films, yet it really sticks to the fairy tale like ideals. Loved it.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I sort of saw this tonight. Perhaps I'm exhausted or the movie was a bit slow. I fell asleep more than once.

My daughter and husband loved it.

I thought it was pretty good, what I saw of it anyway.

Still Move Forward!!
Most deffinetely. I loved it so much. It made me so mad though, and i could see the bad acting in this one scene. Where she goes to eat off the feast. Honestly, if that was you would you eat it, after having so many warning and even the fairies screaming there lungs off just to get you to stop, i mean jesus that made me so mad! But other then that, i was so engrossed in the movie i didnt even notice the subtitles like one man mentioned earlier. However, the movie, sadly so say, almost had me in tears at the end, i mean that girl went through so much, seeing all that, having her mother die, then she dies, im so glad she went to her real father and mother, that looks like a nice place, and that thank god held the tears in haha.

The thing holding me back from watching this movie is that I find movies with subtitles as an annoyance. Watching the reviews makes me want to try anyways. But I hear the subtitles are fast and that makes it even worse, cause I am so focused on subtitles I find it hard to pay attention to the action, and it doesn't help that I am A.D.D.

True, I couldn't believe she ate those huge grapes. She also didn't "follow" the fairies or whatever and opened the wrong door getting the ceremonial knife, why?

And oh, how in the heck did she think she could possibly stay presentable mucking around in the mud? That had to be an act of defiance right there.

Still Move Forward!!
Very true, but she is younge, maybe that had a part to play in it? I dont know.

The thing holding me back from watching this movie is that I find movies with subtitles as an annoyance. Watching the reviews makes me want to try anyways. But I hear the subtitles are fast and that makes it even worse, cause I am so focused on subtitles I find it hard to pay attention to the action, and it doesn't help that I am A.D.D.
That sucks. I have a friend who can't watch most subtitled movies because she gets really bad vertigo. She's gotten a little better, but only after years and years of practice.

No dubbed version on the DVD?

i was so engrossed in the movie i didnt even notice the subtitles like one man mentioned earlier.
You don't say....

The thing holding me back from watching this movie is that I find movies with subtitles as an annoyance.
I take it you didn't do that well in school.

Now that would be a crime against nature...

A system of cells interlinked
That sucks. I have a friend who can't watch most subtitled movies because she gets really bad vertigo. She's gotten a little better, but only after years and years of practice.

Dubbed? Bah!

Meanwhile...Vertigo, from reading text on a screen? Damn...that's rough...

Another fav part of the movie is when the "evil" step dad / soldier is about to die. "He's all like, "Tell my son that I . . ."

The former servant / resistance fighter / spy, while taking the baby interrupts saying, "No, he won't even know your name."

I LOVED that!

Still Move Forward!!
Hey, hate to be of annoyance, but how do you quote people?

Hey, hate to be of annoyance, but how do you quote people?
Just click on their reply button, and it automatically lets you quote them

I have not seen Pan's Labyrinth yet. But, I have been reading these posts about it and such. Can someone tell me who the Captain? I get everything else. Why do people think this "Captain" should see the creature at the end to make it real? Well, actually everyone wants it to be real right? That's why your all pissed off how it ended, that the girl made it up?