The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It didn't engage me much but mostly it was just the plausibility of it all. It's been too long since I saw it to get into specifics but I remember not liking it due to that.
Ah I see, thanks. I do that too, if I find a movie unplausible it takes me out of the story and I disengage.

Have seen both Gone Baby Gone and Klute and thought they were okay. I feel no great urge to watch them again. I did like Dennis Lehane's novels more than the movie adaptations of GBG or Mystic River.

Neither were on my ballot.

Have seen 21 of the 38.

If you look at my political thrillers blindspots, it's kind of wild. It's like like I haven't watched any of the big ones:

The Parallax View, Three Days of the Condor, Marathon Man, The Day of the Jackal. What's weird is, it's not like it's a genre that doesn't appeal to me either. I have no good reason why I've never done a deep dive into them.

I have seen Blow-Up and Blow-Out though. Neither of them 70s. I've had a bit of a movie malaise the last few months. Just working through them might be what I need after getting through my blindspots of Ken Russell films leaving the criterion channel soon.
Not for nothing but Klute is not a “political thriller.” It’s about a prostitute being stalked by a john, who is a corporate exec and the private detective looking for the guy.

AWARDS?

Gone Baby Gone received a good bunch of nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • One (1) Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress (Amy Ryan)
  • One (1) Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actress (Ryan)
  • Two (2) Indiewire Critics Poll Award nominations, including Best First Feature (Ben Affleck)
  • Two (2) Satellite Award nominations, including a win for Best Supporting Actress (Ryan)
  • One (1) Empire Award nomination for Best Thriller

AWARDS?

Klute received several nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Two (2) Academy Award nominations, including a win for Best Actress (Jane Fonda)
  • Two (2) Golden Globe Award nominations, including a win for Best Actress (Fonda)
  • Two (2) Image Awards for Best Actor (Donald Sutherland) and Best Actress (Fonda)
  • One (1) BAFTA Award nomination for Best Actress (Fonda)
  • One (1) Edgar Allan Poe Award nomination for Best Motion Picture

A system of cells interlinked
2/2 seen for these last reveals but no votes.

I recall liking Gone Baby Gone, but it just didn't cross my mind as a neo-noir as I compiled my ballot. I am due to see that one again, I think. I struggled to get through Klute, or maybe I didn't even finish it... I forget. I can't stand Jane Fonda.

Up until recently, I thought Klute was a comedy or something along that vein. Never looked for it, but the title just sounded like "klutz", I guess? I think it was last year or the year before that I actually read the synopsis and went like "Oh..."

I can't stand Jane Fonda.

Does. Not. Compute.

Now, I'm not saying I'd want to have dinner with her, but on screen, when she was firing on all cylinders, she is up there with the best,

Up until recently, I thought Klute was a comedy or something along that vein. Never looked for it, but the title just sounded like "klutz", I guess? I think it was last year or the year before that I actually read the synopsis and went like "Oh..."

See it.

Just don't expect any laughs. It's zero percent funny.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#63. Klute (1971)

This film been for many years on my to watch list and I finally saw it about two years ago. It turned to be nothing about nothing featuring very well portrayed role by Jane Fonda. So high expectations, one more time smashed by the typical mediocrity of the New Hollywood movement.
I rate it one star for the movie + two bonus stars only because of Fonda.
-
57/100

I forgot the opening line.
Another two really good movies that weren't quite able to break into my 25

64. Gone Baby Gone - I've seen this numerous times - and I'm a big fan of Casey Affleck, and the Boston/Massachusetts-affiliated Affleck family. After having written about it so extensively before I'll just say that it's a great mystery flick with a knock-out performance from Amy Ryan, who won numerous awards for featuring as Helene McCready, the neglectful mother whose young daughter goes missing. The movie offers up a very interesting moral quandary, and will have you debating with yourself over what the right course of action really was. Do you stick to the letter of the law and what's right, or do what's wrong if that produces a more emotionally satisfying result that's better for all involved? It's a real tough one to wrap your head around, and you might find yourself disappointed with the film's protagonist and what he chooses.

63. Klute - I've only ever seen this once, and it's one of those films that really is due another watch to refresh my mind. Still, I clearly remember the two main characters - Donald Sutherland's calm, steady and poised John Klute, and Jane Fonda's troubled, experienced yet independent call girl Bree Daniels. The film is another great example of neo noir in any easily definable sense, being something of a throwback to those classic noir films of old. The central mystery takes it's characters down a road that leads to paranoia and lurking danger. Jane Fonda won an Oscar for her efforts, and Klute is now an old classic itself.

Seen 23/38 - but still only one from my list!

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Not for nothing but [b]Klute[b] is not a “political thriller.” It’s about a prostitute being stalked by a john, who is a corporate exec and the private detective looking for the guy.

I must have seen it listed as a thriller, and since it was from the 70s, cataloged it as must be a political thriller.

Anyhow, I watched it. It's pretty good. I can see why crumbs loves it. A movie about two people struggling against their base implies, which are not to connect to people for a variety of reasons, despite obviously needing someone else in their life.

Gone Baby Gone was #66 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Years ago, I heard Gary Ross say, "Donald Sutherland, I've admired since Klute" and I thought he was saying "Clue".

Been out with the kids all day; I'm still out, so reveals might come in an hour or two. Apologies for leaving you all dressed and waiting.