Oscar's Best Supporting Actress 2022

Tools    

And the next winner for Best Supporting Actress is...?
26.67%
4 votes
Jessie Buckley, The Lost Daughter
46.67%
7 votes
Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
0%
0 votes
Judi Dench, Belfast
20.00%
3 votes
Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
6.67%
1 votes
Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard
15 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five nominees for Supporting Actress. Who would get your vote?

Jessie Buckley, The Lost Daughter
Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
Judi Dench, Belfast
Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Voted Dunst, one of my favorite actresses. Am I going to be in these threads wanting to change my vote when I finally see West Side and Belfast. I had little interest in either but will definitely check them out now.

Politics will play a major role in selecting the winner here, and they will give it to the actress with an ethnic background, hence Debose.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Politics will play a major role in selecting the winner here, and they will give it to the actress with an ethnic background, hence Debose.
Her performance was fantastic and the film was excellent, so she would be a deserving winner. I think you may be overestimating the alleged power of politics.

Her performance was fantastic and the film was excellent, so she would be a deserving winner. I think you may be overestimating the alleged power of politics.
The Oscars has become all politics my friend.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
If that was true, please explain Hopkins win last year over Boseman
I'd say they are more about shock and awe these days with certain categories. I think people were (are) sick of the predictability. These used to just shock us with best pic but now they are broadening their horizons.

The Oscars has become all politics my friend.
Do you have any proof to support that theory? Look at last year: Frances McDormand won best actress over Viola Davis and Andra Day. Anthony Hopkins win best actor over Chadwick Boseman. Da Five Blood, Soul, One Night in Miami and Ma's Rainey's Black Bottom did not get nominated for best picture.

The trick is not minding
I'd say they are more about shock and awe these days with certain categories. I think people were (are) sick of the predictability. These used to just shock us with best pic but now they are broadening their horizons.
So which is it? Shock and awe or politics? While I admit the current political climate can influence the voters minds (see Driving Miss Daisy, or don’t actually), it isn’t the determining factor as much as we may believe it to be.
Crash over Brokeback Mountain.
Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan ( I loved both films but some on!).

If that was true, please explain Hopkins win last year over Boseman
Hopkins was alive and had the UK voting block.

Politics isn't just racial it's also regional.

Welcome to the human race...
I can't believe that the organisation that gave 11 awards to a film that romanticised the antebellum South has recently started to get political.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm so pleased that Jessie Buckley got a nomination. I saw her once in The Tempest on stage and she was great, but I read a really sneery review of the play criticizing her casting because she'd previously been on a TV competition. She was also really good in the TV version of War and Peace a few years ago. I think she's really talented and was probably the best thing about The Lost Daughter.

The veteran Judi Dench is the only one of these women to have been Oscar nominated before.

Belfast is Judi Dench’s eighth acting nomination. Which is all the more impressive since she didn’t earn her first, Best Actress for Mrs. Brown, until the age of sixty-four. She is eighty-seven now and her only win among those many nominations was as Queen Elizabeth in Shakespeare in Love. That performance was historically brief – only Beatrice Straight for Network had less screentime and won an Oscar. Dench doesn’t have a lot of screentime in Branagh’s Belfast, either. But could her legend coupled with her advancing years get her that second Oscar? Win or lose she is already in elite company. Those eight career nominations joins her with Marlon Brando, Peter O’Toole, Jack Lemmon, Geraldine Page, and Glenn Close. If she does win she would be the oldest winner in the acting categories, replacing Anthony Hopkins who reset the record last year for The Father. He was eighty-three.

Ireland’s Jessie Buckley is considerably younger having turned thirty-two in December. Her best starring work in the UK may be Wild Rose and her international profile had been rising over the past couple years starring in Charlie Kaufman’s latest I’m Thinking of Ending Things and as Oraetta Mayflower on the most recent season of ”Fargo” opposite Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman. She would be a long shot to win for her first nomination, but the Academy noticed her in The Lost Daughter and she may well be back in the future.

Aunjanue Ellis has been acting for a while now, and you may recognize her from earlier roles in the likes of Sistah Girl in the comedy Undercover Brother, Men of Honor with Cuba Gooding and Robert DeNiro, or Kasi Lemons’ The Caveman’s Valentine with Samuel L. Jackson. In more recent years she made her mark on ABC’s ”Designated Survivor”, HBO’s ”Lovecraft Country”, and in If Beale Street Could Talk. Playing the Williams matriarch in King Richard has netted her an Oscar nomination. She doesn’t do a tenth of what Will Smith does in the film, which is really a showcase for him, so her nomination was a bit of a surprise. A win would be shocking.

Kirsten Dunst is about to turn forty but she has been on screen since she was a pre-teen. Going back to those child acting days of playing Claudia in Interview with the Vampire, one of Gillian’s Armstrong’s Little Women, and navigating through Jumanji (1995) to those teen roles in The Virigin Suicides, the Nixon comedy Dick with Michelle Williams, and the cheerleader anthem of Bring it On. After becoming Peter Parker’s Mary Jane Watson in the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy she transitioned well into adult roles like Marion Davies in Peter Bogdanovich’s The Cat’s Meow, Marie Antionette and The Beguiled for Sofia Coppola, Lars Von Trier’s Melancholia, season two of “Fargo”, in support of Hidden Figures, and starring in the outrageous “On Becoming a God in Central Florida”. The Power of the Dog is her first nomination and her character by far has the greatest arc in that film, getting to play a little bit of everything on the journey. Will that coupled with her Hollywood survivor status be enough to get her the win?

Ariana DeBose just turned thirty-one. The last few years saw her profile increasing from the ensemble of the original production of ”Hamilton”, to a highlighted role in Broadway’s adaptation of ”A Bronx Tale”, to a fun role on the Apple TV+ series ”Schmigadoon” (very funny, for any fellow Theatre Rats). She was Tony nominated for starring in “Summer: The Donna Summer Musical”. And then Spielberg asked her to be his Anita in West Side Story. Rita Moreno, who came along for the re-make as a different character, famously won for the same role in the original film. I don’t know if the Academy voters will be able to resist the symmetry of awarding this part again. With all of the supposed improvements it remains the best role in the piece. If she does win they will join Vito Corleone played by Brando & DeNiro in The Godfather & The Godfather Part II and The Joker as played by Heath Ledger & Joaquin Phoenix in The Dark Knight and The Joker as the only performers to win Oscars for playing the same character.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Ariana DeBose just turned thirty-one. The last few years saw her profile increasing from the ensemble of the original production of ”Hamilton”, to a highlighted role in Broadway’s adaptation of ”A Bronx Tale”, to a fun role on the Apple TV+ series ”Schmigadoon” (very funny, for any fellow Theatre Rats).
I watched Schmigadoon over the last week and it was very enjoyable.