The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I watched it with my son and his take on it was "so basically it's about someone from the past going back even further into the past..."

You should have made it a double feature with an adaptation of H.G. Wells, The Time Machine.

A system of cells interlinked
I watched it with my son and his take on it was "so basically it's about someone from the past going back even further into the past..."
Fair point! At this point, even the future in the latter film is now considered our past...yikes!

Fair point! At this point, even the future in the latter film is now considered our past...yikes!

I feel like there was a Harvey Birdman episode with the Jetsons with this specific joke.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
The Apartment - I've seen it three or four times through the years, last time couple of years ago.
I briefly considered it for my list but because it is too romantic with a touch of drama, I cut it.
Anyway, it is evergreen classic. Superb movie.

---

Never heard What We Do In the Shadows.

What We Do in the Shadows is quite good fun. I enjoyed it. Clever, silly and overall good entertainment.

As for The Apartment, I have to be honest and say I didn't really enjoy it much. But I absolutely love Sunset Blvd by Billy Wilder and he’s one of the greats to be sure. So I definitely owe The Apartment another watch down the line...

Back to the Future: Got to see this in the theatre during its first run. Was as profound a movie going experience as Indiana Jones or The Dark Crystal or Return of the Jedi but I just don't know how much of a shit I can muster for it anymore. There is nothing in it that speaks to my old brain. It's a bit of a nostalgic artifact from that time but not much more. Not that doesn't have good performances from all of its central cast, or a good script, a good concept....it does...but how much can I plumb my past for any relevance here. Maybe I need my own Delorean to go back in time to a different place when different things mattered to me for me to find a reason to care.

Trading Places: It's got Eddie Murphy at his best. It doesn't really need anything else.

Planes Trains and Automobiles: Should have made my list, but I've just become to familiar with it over the years. Very likely John Candy's best performance, which is saying a lot since the guy was one of the absolute greats. Heartwarming, funny, all around an extremely good comedy which I don't have a bad thing to say about.

Animal House: Was on my list. I think the clip Wooley posted from the Ebert review about sums up anything I would want to say. I love this film. It's the kind of movie that I recently struggled to defend when I was told to mention something funny from it, which I was hard pressed to do, not because there is nothing funny, but the humor doesn't really exist outside of the universe of the film. It is more a state of mind as much of what is funny is articulated more in the joy of the performers/characters throwing off the shackles of pointless responsibility and behaving badly simply for the sake of behaving badly. The laughs can be found mostly in a facial expression, or a tone of voice, or the exasperation of everyone who bears witness to such terrible antics. As a child, Animal House wasn't just a comedy, it was a place I wanted to go to myself eventually. A place where I could burn all the worlds expectations of me to the ground and start anew. Comedy as liberation, and I'm sadly (gladly) still just burning from its influence.

What We Do In Shadows: On my list. The funniest film of this millennium. If you don't agree, you're wrong. And as usual, it reaffirms the truth that all the best vampire movies are either deconstructions or spoofs of the genre.

The Apartment: Obviously a good movie. Haven't seen it recently enough to make any serious comment though.

What We Do In Shadows: On my list. The funniest film of this millennium. If you don't agree, you're wrong. And as usual, it reaffirms the truth that all the best vampire movies are either deconstructions or spoofs of the genre.

#horse-dong

I have not seen What We Do in the Shawdows and The Apartment

Here's the movies that I got right on my predictions list so far

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
Stripes (1981)
When Harry Met Sally (1989)
Wayne's World (1992)
Step Brothers (2008)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
Beetlejuice (1988)
M*A*S*H (1970)
Dazed and Confused (1993)
Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
The Hangover (2009)
Happy Gilmore (1996)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
Tropic Thunder (2008)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
Singin in the Rain (1952) - first movie that was on the list that I haven't seen
Heathers (1989)
Harold and Maude (1971)
Dumb and Dumber (1994)
Superbad (2007)
Back to the Future (1985)
Animal House (1978)
The Apartment (1960) - second movie that was on the list that I haven't seen

24 movies right so far

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

One of two Wilder movies, The Apartment was my #12, and like many of Wilder's films it has some pretty rich themes and ideas going on underneath what is ultimately a romantic comedy. Lemmon and especially MacLaine are perfect and of course so is the script.

My List:
4. Playtime (#48)
8. Being John Malkovich (#44)
12. The Apartment (#29)
13. Modern Times (#39)
21. One, Two, Three (#85)
22. Beetlejuice (#78)
24. Sullivan's Travels (#100)

Animal House: Was on my list. I think the clip Wooley posted from the Ebert review about sums up anything I would want to say. I love this film. It's the kind of movie that I recently struggled to defend when I was told to mention something funny from it, which I was hard pressed to do, not because there is nothing funny, but the humor doesn't really exist outside of the universe of the film. It is more a state of mind as much of what is funny is articulated more in the joy of the performers/characters throwing off the shackles of pointless responsibility and behaving badly simply for the sake of behaving badly. The laughs can be found mostly in a facial expression, or a tone of voice, or the exasperation of everyone who bears witness to such terrible antics. As a child, Animal House wasn't just a comedy, it was a place I wanted to go to myself eventually. A place where I could burn all the worlds expectations of me to the ground and start anew. Comedy as liberation, and I'm sadly (gladly) still just burning from its influence.
Well said

I've only seen The Apartment once but I truly loved it. In the future I may talk about it with my favorites. Not a consideration for my comedy ballot.

Watched What We Do in the Shadows in April and loved it. My ballot consists of nostalgic favorites I've seen multiple times so I didn't vote for it.

So, there's a zero percent chance Revenge of the Nerds is making it at this point, right?

Maybe if I hadn't totally forgotten about it, I could have helped.
I didn't forget it

One of two Wilder movies, The Apartment was my #12, and like many of Wilder's films it has some pretty rich themes and ideas going on underneath what is ultimately a romantic comedy. Lemmon and especially MacLaine are perfect and of course so is the script.

My List:
4. Playtime (#48)
8. Being John Malkovich (#44)
12. The Apartment (#29)
13. Modern Times (#39)
21. One, Two, Three (#85)
22. Beetlejuice (#78)
24. Sullivan's Travels (#100)
I loved The Apartment...MacLaine was robbed of the Best Actress Oscar

Victim of The Night
Wow. I did not see that coming. I really enjoy WWDitS but I would never have dreamed it would come out of this list as the consensus 30th Greatest Comedy Of All Time.
I love this list it's so full of surprises.

For tomorrow, I'll keep guessing my unnamed #3 on my ballot and Life of Brian (one of these is eventually going to be correct).

Back to the Future, Trading Places and Animal House are all solid comedies. I am not that familiar with Planes, Trains and Automobiles. What We Do In the Shadows is hilarious but The Apartment is a great classic-wise. It may actually be on my list, Buddy Boy! I have seen it over and over again.