Watchmen

Tools    

Check it out: http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/08/...watchmen-case/

By the way, I would be interested in reading about why what FOX is doing is ethical and/or reasonable--if its purpose is to stop the film or profit from it.

By the way, I would be interested in reading about why what FOX is doing is ethical and/or reasonable--if its purpose is to stop the film or profit from it.
its niether
[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I have heared alittle about this that they are supposidly stopping the film from being released I thought it was just a publicity stunt but it seems to be true? Well im quite annoyed to say the least this is such a big film coming out it would be rediculus to delay it. But they have spent allot of money on it why would they delay it?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The comments and the last paragraph of that article sum up my thoughts.

Suspect's Reviews

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Here is the latest on the Fox vs Warner courtroom battle from the New York Times by the reporter who wrote the earlier article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/20/mo....html?ref=arts

I suspect all Fox really wants to do is pickup some points on the predictably huge profits that will come when this film is released (hopefully on time) considering how much Warner garnered from The Dark Knight. Curse Fox, .

hell yea :P
definitely getting early tickets for this - the graphic novel is the bomb
i am such a big Watchmen fan and a movie would be AWESOME!!!!!!
Im also addicted to the trailer lol :P

In the Beginning...
From Matt McDaniel's Yahoo.com's Movie Blog on the 20+ minutes of footage Zack Snyder released to select members of the press this past weekend:

'Watchmen' Secrets Revealed
by Matt McDaniel

It's one of the most widely read and critically acclaimed graphic novels in history. And now after two decades of wrangling, Watchmen is coming to the big screen from director Zack Snyder, who adapted Frank Miller's bloody 300 into a box-office smash. But for fans of the book who have read the dark and complex book over and over -- and I include myself in that category -- the job of condensing the sprawling epic into a two-hour movie seemed to be impossible.

I was invited on Wednesday to a screening of over twenty minutes of footage from "Watchmen," and I have to say that it looks like Snyder has done the impossible. The scenes had some unfinished visual effects and temporary music, but already I was able to get a sense of the energy and uncompromising dedication to the original text that Snyder is bringing to the film.

We were first shown the opening twelve minutes of the movie, which begins with the attack on the Comedian (Jeffery Dean Morgan). In the comics, this scene is only ever presented in flashbacks, but here it is a brutal fistfight that leads up to a breathtaking shot following the Comedian as he's tossed out the window of his high-rise. The action here is reminiscent of the slow-to-fast motion of the fight scenes in "300," but the setting feels more tangible, since it was shot on sets and not entirely in front of green screens.

This leads into the opening credits sequence that retells the history of the book's alternate universe from the '30s through the '70s, set to Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'." Avid fans will spot countless references to images and events from the book, but newcomers will quickly get a sense of the world where superheroes not only exist but directly impact major historical events.

We saw two more scenes from later in the film. First they showed the origin of Dr. Manhattan (Billy Crudup), a physicist transformed in an accident into a blue-skinned superman who manipulates matter with a wave of his hand. Then we saw the prison break scene where costumed heroes Nite Owl (Patrick Wilson) and Silk Spectre (Malin Ackerman) bust out their comrade Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley). It's obvious from the footage we saw that the filmmakers are delivering an R-rated, adult movie that is not going to soften the novel's violent, sexual, or political content.

I asked Snyder after the screening what reactions he has received from people who haven't read the book. He said he has shown the film to people who don't know the novel and they have been able to follow the story and get a feel for the movie's twisted reality. He also said that for the first time as a filmmaker he wishes he could forget his whole history with the project and watch the movie with fresh eyes.

Snyder said that currently the film's running time is at two hours and forty-five minutes, but a later DVD edition will expand it with the addition of an animated story-within-the-story. We'll have to wait until March 6th to see the full film, but you can get a sense of its dark tone and stunning visuals in the trailer below.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
i am also addicted to the trailer, i've watched it so many times. Huge fan of the graphic novel i've been forcing all of my friends to read it

Funny how this is the most celebrated graphic novel of all time and I've never heard of it. In any case, it looks interesting, not your typical superhero/vigilante flick. The fanciful sci-fi aspect is eye-catching and will probably garner a nice turnout opening night (not to mention the host of fans that are teeming over this).

Staying true to its origins, the superheros look fresh out of a comic book with neon spandex, capes, and the whole nine. But if you're going to go that far, you better go all the way. Half-doing a sci-fi film/comic book movie of this "caliber" would be atrocious. You might as well go as "over-the-top" as you can. And when I saw the submarine ascend out of the water into gravity-defying flight and propulsion, I knew this is what they are going for (with the psychedelic music to top it off). Not to mention the electrified, flying blue guy (meant to represent an all-powerful being in the story).

More than anything, for those who haven't read the comic-book, sheer curiosity will get them to the theater. For the fans, I hope their beloved story is done proper justice. I must say, the odds are against them, seeing as these film adaptations notoriously don't do well. We'll see if it can prove history wrong. The plot looks to be a band of heros who are forced to stop fighting crime, then called on again to save the city. Sounds like an "Incredible" knock-off...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I wondered if people were going to think that this is an Incredibles knock-off, when in reality it's the other way around.

Also, it's not as epic in that scope. There's no "the world turns to them" aspect in Watchmen and it is fairly more adult then what most people have seen, for this specific genre.

A system of cells interlinked
Funny how this is the most celebrated graphic novel of all time and I've never heard of it. In any case, it looks interesting, not your typical superhero/vigilante flick. The fanciful sci-fi aspect is eye-catching and will probably garner a nice turnout opening night (not to mention the host of fans that are teeming over this).

Staying true to its origins, the superheros look fresh out of a comic book with neon spandex, capes, and the whole nine. But if you're going to go that far, you better go all the way. Half-doing a sci-fi film/comic book movie of this "caliber" would be atrocious. You might as well go as "over-the-top" as you can. And when I saw the submarine ascend out of the water into gravity-defying flight and propulsion, I knew this is what they are going for (with the psychedelic music to top it off). Not to mention the electrified, flying blue guy (meant to represent an all-powerful being in the story).

More than anything, for those who haven't read the comic-book, sheer curiosity will get them to the theater. For the fans, I hope their beloved story is done proper justice. I must say, the odds are against them, seeing as these film adaptations notoriously don't do well. We'll see if it can prove history wrong. The plot looks to be a band of heros who are forced to stop fighting crime, then called on again to save the city. Sounds like an "Incredible" knock-off...
Never heard of it? Pretty new to comics then, eh?

I am curious as to what you mean by these film adaptations notoriously not doing well... Most of the recent comic films have done more than well, like the recent The Dark Knight. Spider Man, X-Men, Iron Man, V For Vendetta... These films all did fine, and many more. Which ones were you talking about? Which History needs to be proven wrong?

Your guess at the plot is completely off base, btw, so I doubt this will be anything like The Incredibles. Read the series and you will see what I mean.

However, I have already heard some (clearly uninformed and unfounded) critiques leveled at this film, in that it rips off Heroes, the television series. Horseshit. Heroes ripped off Watchmen, big time. Either that or it [Heroes] is steeped in homage for the seminal comic of the 80s. Still, I am betting a slew of people will walk out of the theater complaining about how Watchmen stole its material from Heroes. Bummer.

Hopefully still more people will look past the main story thread to the brilliant subtext of the material, if it remains intact, which after reading Sleezy's link, it seems it might.

hell yea :P
definitely getting early tickets for this - the graphic novel is the bomb
i am such a big Watchmen fan and a movie would be AWESOME!!!!!!
Im also addicted to the trailer lol :P
Cheers for this

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
i watch heroes and i've read Watchmen and i didn't even think of comparing the two they are so different. Watchmen will be different than every other comic book movie this one is made to ask the question, what if there actually were caped crusaders...the only one with super powers is Dr. Manhattan (big blue guy) Watchmen is definitely more adult and tries to take a bit more of a realistic POV...minus Dr. Manhattan and Night Owl's ship

I am curious as to what you mean by these film adaptations notoriously not doing well... Most of the recent comic films have done more than well, like the recent The Dark Knight. Spider Man, X-Men, Iron Man, V For Vendetta... These films all did fine, and many more. Which ones were you talking about? Which History needs to be proven wrong?
Perhaps this is in reference to expectations not being met when compared to the orignial sources. The Lord of the Rings, for instance, is quite a different story from J. R. R. Tolkien to Peter Jackson as well as Tolkien to Ralph Bakshi. The stories as films may be fine, but the expectations are blown to bits.

And this is a part of the process of translation of course: something is always going to be lost in the process.

Regarding the Bakshi version of Tolkien's story, here is a page that I find pretty funny (it assumes you have seen the cartoon though): http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm