Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Master of My Domain
The Killing Fields (Joffe, 1984)

This is the definition of an almost cliche-less film that I always love to watch and enjoy. For starters, there are no famous movie stars in the film, and in the lead role is an Asian dude who had little experience in film before. There are a lot of people like him, and they all do a great job, which prevents the vibe you get when you're watching an obvious big-studio production. The story twists and turns and continues throughout and never stops, and although there is seemingly nothing in particular happening, the story is carried by the eyes of the actors, the violence, and beautiful cinematography. Too bad this film got disqualified in the 8th HoF.

+

Humm, disappointing after finally getting to see this classic 'giallo' film and it turned out to be rather tame after hearing so much about it. I'd be happy to see a more graphic remake of this actually, directed by someone like Peter Strickland(Duke of Burgundy).

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Still sucks...

but love this guy...

If Carrie Fisher didn't get a Razzie, she was robbed.

Dirty Grandpa
Dan Mazer

Saw this tonight at a local premiere. Don't even bothering paying for it. Cheap and childish humor, a recycled plot, a predictable ending and very average acting. Nothing interesting here.

+

Tfl
Black Mass C-

Welcome to the human race...
If Carrie Fisher didn't get a Razzie, she was robbed.
The film got no Razzie nominations whatsoever, so...yeah.

Anyway...

Atonement -

Reasonably well-crafted but rather hollow period drama.

I have to return some videotapes...
I watched Night and Fog (1955) and it was a very interesting documentary. It peaked my interest off of someone's top 100 list on this site and I decided to check it out due to the runtime and I would have to say its good. It's not an incredible film by any stretch, due to I didn't feel as much of an emotional response to the movie as much as I should have. It did do a lot of things right though, it informed the viewer about all of the things that happened at these camps in very graphic images. The film glides you through the process of what everyday life was like in this chain-linked hell hole these people were living in. It accuses the people who responsible and asks moral questions, almost as if it asks you would you have taken a stand if everyone else was believing something wrong? Would you be right? Overall, it would have really benefited from a longer run-time and I wouldn't have minded watching another hour just because its so damn fascinating.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The film got no Razzie nominations whatsoever, so...yeah.

Anyway...

I watched Night and Fog (1955) and it was a very interesting documentary. It peaked my interest off of someone's top 100 list on this site and I decided to check it out due to the runtime and I would have to say its good. It's not an incredible film by any stretch, due to I didn't feel as much of an emotional response to the movie as much as I should have. It did do a lot of things right though, it informed the viewer about all of the things that happened at these camps in very graphic images. The film glides you through the process of what everyday life was like in this chain-linked hell hole these people were living in. It accuses the people who responsible and asks moral questions, almost as if it asks you would you have taken a stand if everyone else was believing something wrong? Would you be right? Overall, it would have really benefited from a longer run-time and I wouldn't have minded watching another hour just because its so damn fascinating.
May I point you towards the brilliant documentary series, The Nazi's: A Warning From History.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Na...g_from_History

If we ever do a documentaries countdown which allows TV series, this is a shoe in for my list.

Unregistered User

On The Beach (1959)

Post-apocalyptic story after nuclear war has hit, we see the aftermath as the Northerm hemisphere is slowly being wiped out. As opposed to other films of this genre showing madness breaking out, here we see an almost acceptance of the fate that lies ahead. There is no added shock factor here and no overly dramatic scenes but due to this, it totaly works. The bleakness comes from a civilsation that is prepared for their doom, almost willing in some cases. Peck, Gardner and Perkins all play their character really well but it was Fred Astaire who really impressed/surprised me most in his role as a nuclear scientist.

Chilling and highly recommended, again especially with 50's countdown coming up.

++

Well someone decided this had to be made. Lifetime took a break from making TV movies about date rape and domestic abuse to make an original movie staring an internet meme. I could make a joke about this, but Brad Jones already made all the jokes for me. Not to mention half the movie Aubrey Plaza (the voice of Grumpy Cat) was saying how bad the movie was. But is it that bad? Not really. I mean this is not good, but then again most made for TV movies are not good. The plot is lame and cliche, the villains dumb, and the side plots boring. Aubrey was fine as Grumpy and the kid actor they got was pretty good and actually tried to do well considering the movie she was in. And any movie that makes it's own joke concerning how it's "not that kind of Lifetime movie" rape joke in reference to Lifetime's other movies was actually funny. That being said, you can just watch the review in the link above and get the entire feel of the movie. You won't miss a thing.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Well someone decided this had to be made. Lifetime took a break from making TV movies about date rape and domestic abuse to make an original movie staring an internet meme.
That alone is worth a +1

Well Gunslinger, if nothing else you will probably be the only person to rate this on here. Maybe do a Garfield marathon next.

Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction?

Okay, so, uncommon opinion: I prefer Reservoir Dogs (1992) to Pulp Fiction (1994).

For those of you who don't know (which, lets be honest, is probably nobody) Reservoir Dogs was Quentin Tarantino's first movie. Released in 1992 and made on a budget of roughly $1.2 million, it tells the story of a group of gangsters who return to their rendezvous after a failed diamond robbery. The robbers realise that one of them is a police informant or "rat", and the film follows them trying to figure out who it is. It features Tarantino's signature screwed up timeline, and contains wonderful performances from all the cast, especially Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, and Michael Madsen. Even Tarantino isn't too bad in it...

Pulp Fiction, released in 1994 and made on a budget of approximately $8.5 million, is widely regarded as Tarantino's best film. It is presented in 3 parts, which chronologically takes place as follows (pretty much): Part 1, Part 3, Part 2. It has an all star cast of Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Harvey Keitel, Uma Therman, and John Travolta. It tells the interlinking storylines of Uma Therman's character (the wife of a mob boss), and John Travolta's character (one of the Therman's husband's hitmen), Jackson's character with Travolta's characters (two hitmen) and Bruce Willis' character.

I love both these movies. I adore the visual style, I love the music, the dialogue is genius (even though all the characters sound a bit like Tarantino at times), and the plots for both are my favourite types, dark, gritty crime films. However, and this may seem slightly odd, I think Pulp Fiction's main (and very nearly only) fault is it's budget. It's simply too big. Perhaps it's also the complicated plot, but the low budget, independent feeling and look of Reservoir Dogs really highlights the skill of the actors and the quality of the dialogue. The opening scene is truly captivating (although I wouldn't watch with any elderly family member who isn't comfortable hearing Tarantino say "Dick, dick, dick, dick, dick. Dick.).

All that said, and Reservoir Dogs being possibly my favourite film of all time, Pulp Fiction does contain possibly my favourite piece of dialogue ever.

"Now I want you to go into the bag and find my wallet."
"Which one is it?"
"It's the one that says 'bad mother****er' on it."

Also: "Does Marsellus look like a bitch to you?"
"No."
"WELL THEN WHY YOU TRYIN' TO **** HIM LIKE A BITCH?"

Anyway guys, this is my first post so be kind, but please let me know what you think!

Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction?

Okay, so, uncommon opinion: I prefer Reservoir Dogs (1992) to Pulp Fiction (1994).
You say you prefer Reservoir Dogs but you have Pulp Fiction ahead of it on your favorites...

Anyways, I prefer Reservoir Dogs as well. Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece and I do understand why people like it so much but for me—I just far-and-away prefer RD.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Well Gunslinger, if nothing else you will probably be the only person to rate this on here. Maybe do a Garfield marathon next.
I think I have had enough of mediocre cat movies. I will stick to the comics strips for Garfield.

I have to return some videotapes...
May I point you towards the brilliant documentary series, The Nazi's: A Warning From History.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Na...g_from_History

If we ever do a documentaries countdown which allows TV series, this is a shoe in for my list.
I'll check it out. Thanks man.