‘The Holdovers’ Accused of Plagiarism by ‘Luca’ Screenwriter

Tools    

On Jan. 12, screenwriter Simon Stephenson sent an email to the Writers Guild of America’s senior director of credits Lesley Mackey asking to set up a call to discuss an important matter. The CAA-repped writer, whose credits include Pixar’s Luca and StudioCanal’s Paddington 2, wrote, “I’ve encountered a credits-related issue on quite a high profile WGA-covered project.” According to the email exchange reviewed by Variety, a call between the two took place, and, in a follow-up missive, Stephenson wrote, “the evidence "The Holdovers" screenplay has been plagiarised line-by-line from "Frisco" is genuinely overwhelming – anybody who looks at even the briefest sample pretty much invariably uses the word ‘brazen.’”

Stephenson was referring to his own screenplay “Frisco,” a drama centered on a world-weary middle-aged children’s doctor and the 15-year-old patient he gets stuck looking after, and David Hemingson’s “The Holdovers” — a drama revolving around a world-weary middle-aged boarding school teacher and the 15-year-old pupil he gets stuck looking after. In the latter, that teacher is Paul, played by Paul Giamatti in a beloved performance that has him vying for best actor honors. Back in 2013, “Frisco” was one of the hottest screenplays in town when it landed at No. 3 on the Black List, an annual survey of Hollywood’s best unproduced screenplays founded by Franklin Leonard. “The Holdovers,” of course, is Alexander Payne’s critically acclaimed Focus Features film that nabbed five Oscar nominations including one for best original screenplay, where it is considered a frontrunner heading into Sunday’s ceremony, locked in a tight race with Justine Triet and Arthur Harari’s “Anatomy of a Fall.” With voting already closed, Hemingson could become the third screenwriter of a Payne-directed film to win a screenplay Oscar. (Payne himself won adapted screenplay for “Sideways” and “The Descendants.”)

Payne and Hemingson declined comment. Stephenson confirmed the authenticity of the emails but declined further comment.

Stephenson’s complaint kicked off a protracted back and forth between the writer and his guild that continued through this week without resolution. Variety has reviewed correspondence between several WGA staffers and the British writer — whose biggest current project is an adaptation of his own novel, “Set My Heart to Five,” which is set up at Working Title and Universal with Edgar Wright attached to direct — as well as documents that were shared with the guild’s three officers, 16-member board and general counsel.

I'd have to read through the script of Frisco before jumping the gun (is the script already out there on the internet?), but if this is a case of plagiarism, that's truly disappointing. Especially since The Holdovers would otherwise be in the running of my favorite films of the decade.

The trick is not minding
Pretty hilarious when you consider Anatomy of a Fall.is a ripoff of The Staircase and the Michael Peterson trial
Being inspired by an actual event isn’t the same thing is plagiarism

Everything is a ripoff of something at this point.
Correct, but there's a huge difference between providing your take/twist on an already established plot or character archetype and copying practically an entire script word for word (assuming Stephenson's claims are correct).

Being inspired by an actual event isn’t the same thing is plagiarism

When it's been adapted twice before and you just gender swap it, it kinda is. I have to read the Frisco script to see just what was plagiarized..but based on the timing this feels like a cash grab.

but based on the timing this feels like a cash grab.
He's an established screenwriter with a good track record, why would he risk his reputation on a "cash grab" that was based on anything other than actual plagiarism?

The trick is not minding
When it's been adapted twice before and you just gender swap it, it kinda is. I have to read the Frisco script to see just what was plagiarized..but based on the timing this feels like a cash grab.
Not really, no. Again, Inspired by an actual event isn’t plagiarism. That’s like saying Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Silence of the Lambs are all plagiarized because they’re inspired by Ed Gein.

He's an established screenwriter with a good track record, why would he risk his reputation on a "cash grab" that was based on anything other than actual plagiarism?

But he's not though he was one of five writers on Luca didn't get credited on Paddington 2 or Wonka. So we don't really know if this isn't a smear campaign type thing because lets face it...none of us have read the screen play.

But he's not though he was one of five writers on Luca didn't get credited on Paddington 2 or Wonka. So we don't really know if this isn't a smear campaign type thing because lets face it...none of us have read the screen play.
Well, nevertheless, he's still already working in the industry.... if it was either a smear campaign or a bogus lawsuit, when the facts came out, he'd be finished in the industry, no one would hire him.

In short: he's risking too much for this and would end up losing completely if there was any hint of a fabrication or an attempted shakedown.

Well, nevertheless, he's still already working in the industry.... if it was either a smear campaign or a bogus lawsuit, when the facts came out, he'd be finished in the industry, no one would hire him.

In short: he's risking too much for this and would end up losing completely if there was any hint of a fabrication or an attempted shakedown.

Well that's the big thing...Holdovers was an indie film and he's in the writer room with the big companies. We don't know..but I'm always suspicious of accusations when companies have something to gain.

The trick is not minding
Well that's the big thing...Holdovers was an indie film and he's in the writer room with the big companies. We don't know..but I'm always suspicious of accusations when companies have something to gain.
Like proper credit?

Like proper credit?

After 6 months, on the friday before the Oscars when nobody is going to vett this. All this from a guy that never seems to have gotten a proper screenplay credit. This is a very shady case to me...I'd really like to know who is bankrolling this case.

After 6 months, on the friday before the Oscars when nobody is going to vett this. All this from a guy that never seems to have gotten a proper screenplay credit. This is a very shady case to me...I'd really like to know who is bankrolling this case.
The article says the issue was raised awhile back and meetings were setup almost two months ago. Besides, if it were true, and I were trying to make sure my side was heard, I'd definitely make a big stink about it right before an event like this. The timing isn't suspicious, because it makes sense both if it's manufactured and if it's legitimate.

I've never really understood it when people dismiss these kinds of things (political attacks being another common example) based on the mere timing, as if it was only ever mentioned the first time they, personally, heard about it. Or as if someone with a legitimate grievance wouldn't be willing to use the timing as leverage to make sure it got the proper attention.

The trick is not minding
The complaint was sent back in January, after, I assume, Stephenson (sp?), had investigated the matter. There apparently seems to be emails that corroborate his side, as well as the fact the story line follows his quite. closely.
The story was only made public today, it seems. Or at least sometime this week

The link in the first post thoroughly explains the claims. It's a clear case of plagiarism and was initiated months ago.