The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Of the two, I prefer The Letter. It gets your attention when they show Bette Davis gun down her lover right outta the box.. I thought everyone was good in the picture. It's too bad they had to make some significant plot changes due to the Hays Code.

The Desperate Hours is pretty glum, especially since Bogie had already become a big star, and had just starred in a light version of a benevolent home invasion 3 months earlier: We're No Angels. Bogart characterized his role in The Desperate Hours as "Duke Mantee grown up."..

I don't care for the hostage/kidnap plot any more. It's been done to death. But at the time it was fairly fresh.
I seen The Letter back when I was first getting into movies some 20 years ago. I haven't seen it since, but one of these days I'm going to do a Bette Davis filmography watch...which will take some time as she made alot of movies.

I have seen Dark Passage a couple times. I like it.

I have seen bits and pieces of Blue Dahlia, Desperate Hours and Brute Force.

I haven't seen Ministry of Fear but it looks good.

The Letter is on my list and is a favorite of mine.

6. The Letter
21. Fallen Angel
25. A Woman's Face

I saw The Letter and loved it. The light and shadows were superbly done in that piece. I especially like that shot that @Holden Pike posted of Bette looking at the moon with the window blinds casting shadows on her face and the moon lighting up those already luminous eyes of hers. Fine film, and I thought Gale Sondergaard was awesome as the "dragon lady" of the piece who is a thorn in Bette's side. Sondergaard excelled in that kind of role and I need more of her! Glad to see this made it.

The Desperate Hours is one I saw a long time ago but I remember liking it well enough. Like @GulfportDoc, I'm not a fan of the hostage/kidnappers theme anymore, and really never have been. But I'll probably end up watching this one again as it's been quite a while and I'll take more Bogie anytime I can.

No-go again for today.

#15 He Walked By Night List Proper #88
#22 This Gun For Hire List Proper #78

I forgot the opening line.
I've seen The Desperate Hours. A very tense, dread-filled film where a family is held hostage by a bunch of desperados, including one played by Humphrey Bogart who is especially (and surprisingly) menacing. I remember that there's a kid in it - which always makes the hostage situation worse, because the family the kid belongs to is especially vulnerable. It reminds me somewhat of Suddenly (1954) - although in that film it's presidential assassins instead of regular crooks. I guess there's a small sub-genre there when it comes to home invasions and hostage-taking - of which The Desperate Hours and Suddenly are very early entrants. Anyway, always a pretty big shock to have seen a film revealed in this thread at the moment. If I'd remembered The Desperate Hours as film noir it would have had a chance to make my ballot - I liked it a little more than some of the lower placed films on my list. (I do wonder if Suddenly will make the countdown now.)

Seen : 4/30

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Still only 2 on my ballot

Mystery Street at #6 and Too Late for Tears at #22

Actor Stats Pit Stop

Whit Bissell
(He Walked by Night, Brute Force, The Desperate Hours)
Humphrey Bogart
(Dead Reckoning, Dark Passage, The Desperate Hours)

Veronica Lake
(The Blue Dahlia, This Gun for Hire)
Agnes Moorehead
(Dark Passage, Caged)
Lizabeth Scott
(Dead Reckoning, Too Late for Tears)
Burt Lancaster
(Sorry Wrong Number, Brute Force)
Dan Duryea
(Too Late for Tears, Ministry of Fear)
John Garfield
(Body & Soul, Force of Evil)
Charles Bickford
(Brute Force, Fallen Angel)
Arthur Kennedy
(Too Late for Tears, The Desperate Hours)
Elisha Cook Jr.
(Stranger on the Third Floor, Born to Kill)
Alan Ladd
(The Blue Dahlia, This Gun for Hire)
William Bendix
(The Dark Corner, The Blue Dahlia)
Herbert Marshall
(Angel Face, The Letter)
William Conrad
(Sorry, Wrong Number, Body & Soul)
Walter Burke
(Mystery Street, All the King's Men)
Raymond Greenleaf
(All the King's Men, Angel Face)