Comic book movies - can this really last?

Tools    

Do you think that comic book movies will still thrive on or will still be as good
61.11%
11 votes
yes
38.89%
7 votes
no
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Im tired of the comicbook movies the hulk shouldn't have been made (or it should have been made a hell of alot beter) along with daredevil. They should just stop the batmans they already screwed tht up enough with there crap story lines!

Pirates of The Carribean

A system of cells interlinked
I thought it was the direction that messed up the Batman films (3 and 4). I agree with you on Hulk and DD but I say keep them coming, just make sure the right crew is on them. Can't wait for X3 (If Singer stays aboard that is).

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I'm bumping this older thread, because i came across this image, and felt the mofos that are into the comic books would apprecciate it.

If this isnt the right thread, dear Mods, by all means move it to where it is best suited.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I thought i had a pretty good handle on the X-men Universe till i saw this family tree.

it will only get worse now that Angel is being portrayed by a chick in the First Class prequel.

( Ben Foster ..get ready to be ribbed by your friends )

Well i dont want to be ranting on but i need to know do you think comic book movies can last, I mean between the messed up story lines, and the hero always winning its starts to get boring like how everyone argues over who going to win the next versus flick its almost like the same movie hero fight bad guy hero wins. any ways i need to know so just vote thanks
nope its getting tedious now!!!
Superman and Spiderman and maybe Xmen - but its getting out of hand now!!!

i didn't even know about ironman and what the hell is up with the fantastic 4 :O my word that it cr@p!!!!

can someone please make a proper He-man please - that movie in the 90s called The Masters Of the Universe was not too bad (but then i was 10 cant really remember) but they can do better that plus that movie didn't only feature He-man etc
*****, keep your mouth shut"

So, they should only make movies about superheros you've already heard of?

I'm not sure I've ever purchased a comic book, and I still knew who Iron Man and the Fantastic Four were.

Semper Fooey
"so much blah blah blah I am saddened by you guys." -- genya

Wasn't it Mary Jane first, then Gwen Stacy? Peter met MJ in high school, before collage.
I don't know if this has been pointed out elsewhere, but to clarify, Gwen Stacy was first. Mary Jane came along of being hinted at for several months. Gwen's death (kind of at the hands of the Goblin, kind of not) was as important an event in Peter's life as the death of Uncle Ben. Hopefully they get this part right in the reboot.

Yes, comic book movies mess up our favorite stories from the comics, because Hollywood won't film them just as they were presented on the page. They want to mash different stories together, and change things up to make them "less comic-bookie." You just have to enjoy them for what they are, and hope they have the essence of the characters right. Since this thread is like 6 years old, I'm guessing there is still some life left in the comic book movie, though this year might test the limits with the onslaught of them.

Oh, and about that family tree - I read every X-Men comic for years (though it's now been years since I read any) and it's still confusing.

Comic book movies. Thats a much larger scope of material than most realize. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles began as a small independent black and white comic full of gore and was hardly made for young children. Blade wasnt even a comic book but a supporting character in the Tomb Of Dracula series (great run of books there). Heck even the tv series The Walking Dead on AMC was a comic.

Truth be told there are some incredible comics that would be awesome films. The only one that have been made is Sin City, Versus, 300, and Watchmen. The rest of the comic movies just use the characters and 20% of the time get that right. At this point they havent even scratched the surface of great comic adaptations to film, and hollywood will have to get their head out of their ass to realize the true potential.

I heard Hugh Jackmans going to finally go back to basics and the next Wolverine flick will be the 4 part limited series done by Frank Miller in the late 80s. Lets hope they dont fack it up, but theres a 50-50 chance it will be cool as screenplays change daily at times when making a flick. The fact that Frank Millers "Dark Knight Returns" hasnt been made into a film just shows how out of touch the business is to the large source of quality material thats available.

The comic book movies will keep coming as long as they make money. The next big dud will take the a.d.d. decisionmakers (producers) away from comics as a story source material for movies regardless of what classics are untold, unseen, or unheard of.

I wouldn't call TMNT "full of gore." It was kind of violent and showed blood as a result of battles, but there weren't internal organs strewn about or anything. My kids have read my old TMNT comics and the first movie was actually just a mildly toned down mash up of the first dozen or so issues.

Comic book movies is even more far reaching than you've indicated. From Hell was based on a comic book. So were The Road to Perdition, American Splendor, Ghost World, 30 Days of Night, The Crow, Men in Black, Wanted, Whiteout. The list could almost literally go on and on. Comic book movie is different than super hero movie, even if one term automatically is associated with the other.

(Caveat: I'm not saying those were all good or bad movies, as most of them I have not actually seen, just saying they're based on comics.)

I wouldn't call TMNT "full of gore." It was kind of violent and showed blood as a result of battles, but there weren't internal organs strewn about or anything. My kids have read my old TMNT comics and the first movie was actually just a mildly toned down mash up of the first dozen or so issues.

Comic book movies is even more far reaching than you've indicated. From Hell was based on a comic book. So were The Road to Perdition, American Splendor, Ghost World, 30 Days of Night, The Crow, Men in Black, Wanted, Whiteout. The list could almost literally go on and on. Comic book movie is different than super hero movie, even if one term automatically is associated with the other.

(Caveat: I'm not saying those were all good or bad movies, as most of them I have not actually seen, just saying they're based on comics.)

Last comic I think I read was Sgt. Rock back in the '50s. There are many like me who don't keep up with the comics. For instance, I didn't know Road to Perdition or Men in Black (the only 2 of those films I've seen) were based on comic books, but that sort of puts those films in perspective for me. I think MIB probably worked best because it stuck with the outlandish imaginations possible in comic books. I enjoyed the first Batman, who was a comic hero even when I was a boy, primarily because of Jack Nicholson's performance. But I disliked Superman from the start.

Most of the other comic heros y'all mentioned came in their current forms long after I gave up reading comics, so they just don't interest me.

I have always hated Superman as a comic.. The movies were okay.
But i love Christopher Reeve as Superman, he made the role special.

Someone suggested me to read All Star Superman, & my whole POV on Superman has changed... I recommend the book to all.

I don't care about the adaptations of mainstream comics, cos they always seem to re-adapt it.
But it's the lesser known comics that concern me..

Blade wasnt even a comic book but a supporting character in the Tomb Of Dracula series (great run of books there).
Actually, you are wrong. Tomb of Dracula #10 was his first appearance. But, Blade did have his own comic book ... Blade: The Vampire Hunter. He was also one of the 3 main characters in the comic book ... Nightstalkers.

Semper Fooey
Gwenn Stacy or Mary Jane, who came first?

I think it is a little confusing. I'm doing this without researching, purely from memory, so I could be wrong.

Gwen Stacy was not in Parker's high school I don't think, but was introduced in college. She didn't like him. Mary Jane dated Parker first, but not seriously. Then Gwen and Parker became an item. Stacey died and MJ was back in the picture.

I think Betty Brant dated him briefly first, followed by Gwen Stacy. Not sure when Mary Jane came in as a serious love interest. Why do you ask?

Gwenn Stacy or Mary Jane, who came first?
Mary Jane came first, only a few months before Gwen.

First Appearances:
Mary Jane (Amazing Spider-Man #25, June 1965)
Gwen (Amazing Spider-Man #31, December 1965)

I think Betty Brant dated him briefly first, followed by Gwen Stacy. Not sure when Mary Jane came in as a serious love interest.
If we are going by only who Spiderman dated. It would be ... Mary Jane --> Gwen --> Betty ---> Mary Jane. Betty Brant appeared before both Gwen & Mary Jane though (Amazing Spider-Man #4, September 1963).

I could be miss-remembering this but I think Mary Jane started as kind of a set-up/blind date thing by Aunt May and friends of the family (?) but didn't amount to anything until later on. Probably after Gwen given that 5-issue time-frame.