Suspect's Top 50 Horror Films

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Frailty (2001)

There are demons among us

A pastor is gifted with the ability to see demons among the living and uses an axe to destroy them.

Bill Paxton's directorial debut is slow burner of religious terror. He needs to direct more films.

The frailty of ones family is at stake when the father believes he can rid the world of demons. One son believes him and helps him, while the other thinks he's crazy. Well, which is it? McConaughey tells the story to an FBI agent, so the film jumps back and forth between the present and the past.

I remember watching this film for the first time and not knowing what I just saw, but knowing that I liked the hell out of it. It's a disturbing tale of a broken family and one crazy man's way of trying to put it back together. The film will have you questioning whether or not the father really can see the demons and that's something to wrestle with during the ending.

Suspect's Reviews

Chappie doesn't like the real world
[REC] is a lot better than Quarantine, but I still like them both. I think I'll put [REC] on now. I couldn't think of anything to watch and that sounds good.

The Ring is another example of when I think a remake is better than the original. I've seen it so many times now and it still scares the bejesus out of me.

Frailty is a very good movie. Before the recent "McConaissance," it was just about the only movie with Matthew McConaughey that I didn't hate.

Martyrs I have but haven't seen. I wasn't particularly interested but it made a big splash on the horror circuit around its release. REC is something that's been recommended many times. Maybe one day.

Audition (1999)

She always gets a part

A widower agrees to screen girls for an audition to be his wife. He falls madly in love with a young woman, who doesn't appear to be what she claims.

Damn you Takashi Miike, I never seem to like your films, but I always seem to be searching for them. Audition, is probably your best effort and one that made me cringe and look away from the screen, something I rarely do.

The film is slow, it likes to take its time setting everything up. Yet, this wouldn't be a Miike film without the absolutely weird and the incredibly violent, which this film has both of.

Miike threw in a quick image or two, that makes the viewer question everything that they've just watched and leaves you wondering what the hell just happened, days after you've seen it.

Near Dark (1987)

...pray for daylight.

Another Bill Paxton entry, this time he's a blood sucking vampire who hates em when the ain't shaved.

When a farmer's son is bitten by a beautiful vampire, he reluctantly joins their group.

Paxton steals the show in this film, he gives a wild and fun performance in a vampire pack led by Lance Henriksen. Bigelow directed this vamp flick and nicely avoids making this "just another vampire film". My one complaint comes with the blood transfusion of an ending, what a bummer to an otherwise, fun vampire film.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

They're coming to get your Barbara

Romero introduced us to the zombie genre we love today. Did he invent zombie movies? Hell no, but he crafted it in such a way that no one can deny he's the king of the genre.

Night of the Living Dead is low budget as hell and not very scary, but it's important. What Romero achieved with so little is inspiring. The film would go on to spawn many sequels, remakes and imitations.

Halloween: H20 (1998)

20 years ago, HE changed the face of Halloween. Tonight, he's back!

Oh my God, how could he? He didn't did he? Yes he did. H20 is rated higher than Night of the Living Dead. Why? It's not because H20 is the better film, I simply enjoyed it more. Night of the Living Dead is is up there more for the impact and importance it had then anything else.

What could have and should have been the last entry into this series, is ruined by what follows. Resurrection is trash, H20 is good trash.

Halloween: H20 isn't a good film, but as a horror film and as an entry in the Halloween series, it's one of the better flicks.

The best looking Myers since the original, the most intimidating since the original and the most fun since the original. Keep in mind, I haven't seen Halloween II. H20 is fun, the deaths are goofy but Curtis gives it her all here. 20 years later, she has moved on...barely. She still has nightmares and visions of The Shape. Well...he's back. Tracking her down, as he does, and killing those in his way. H20 is pure popcorn entertainment.

Big thumbs up for Near Dark and Night of the Living Dead, the latter I have in almost the same spot as you do.

I can't really comment on H20; I've always mixed the sequels up in all of the longer running series.

Welcome to the human race...
I know I stuck Near Dark on my most recent Top 100, but after reading this, I'm kind of second-guessing how much I like it. It definitely looks cool but things are at the point where the whole "transfusion" thing is starting to become one of the film's lesser problems.

Near Dark is great, I'm not a fan of NOTLD though....boring.