A Personal Journey with The Gunslinger45 through the Movies: A Top 50+

→ in
Tools    

Jaws: 1975 (PG) -10
USA / Universal
98% (CF)

Speaking of Spielberg, he was a cinematic pillar well into my teen years. Here was a filmmaker who consistently made blockbuster gold well into the 90’s with more than a few classic movies. Between ET, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Hook and naturally Indiana Jones, he was a big part of why I love movies; even making great serious movies like Amistad and Schindler’s List. Another of my favorite movies of his has to be Jaws. This movie was another monumental film I rented from Blockbuster Video. A movie that not only remains one of my favorite horror movies, but was the movie that made me believe as a small child that I have no business whatsoever going into the ocean! Starting a fear of sharks that has remained strong to this day. Now sharks on TV and movies are fine, as are seeing them in the aquarium, just don’t ask me to get in the damn water with them!

One of my finest childhood memories of seeing this movie was renting it with a buddy of mine when we had a sleep over at his house. We watched Jaws and Jaws II all night. This was also my friend whose dad had a few Playboys stashed around the house. Naturally he showed me where his father hid them. A true friend. Either way it was a fantastic bit of storytelling and a game changer in Hollywood. And easily belongs on my list of favorite movies.

Dawn of the Dead: 1978 (NR) -11
USA / United Film Distribution Company
95%

Jaws is one of my favorite horror movies, but my favorite traditional horror movie belongs to George A. Romero. Now I touched on why I like zombie movies in the first place when I discussed Night of the Living Dead. This movie I like for much the same reasons, except the film is on a much larger scale. A bigger area to deal with, more zombies, and now you throw in other people are the threat to our protagonists as well as the zombies themselves. It also helps that the practical effects are done by the great Tom Savini! A legend in gore effects and make up. There is also much more clear satire of the consumer culture with the mall setting, but like I said the satiric elements are secondary to why I love these movies. They are really the ultimate survival fantasy.

And these movies set the ground rules for all zombie fiction to come. Slow moving, eternally hungry, brainless, undead roamers. Shot ‘em in the head and watch them fall!

Wow just realized I skipped one! How embarrassing!

Dirty Harry: 1971 (R) -5
USA / Warner Brothers
95% (CF)

This is the movie that made me a huge Clint Eastwood fan as a teenager and was at one point in time my favorite film. I had watched the action movies of the 80’s and 90’s to death, so I one day decided to try and expand my viewings beyond those decades. Eventually causing me to rent Dirty Harry from Blockbuster. Been a huge fan of the character ever since. In addition to that Dirty Harry is just a badass character, and was the prototype to the rogue cop character. And Clint was just too cool on screen.

Hard to believe this movie caused so much controversy back in the day. Either way it is a fantastic flick, and I remember buying the Dirty Harry series box set so I could watch the rest of the movies Harry was in.

And now to re-post this spot.

Casablanca: 1942 (PG) -5
USA / Warner Brothers
97% (CF)

This was another movie I first saw during the time when I looked to watch every movie on the AFI Top 100 list. I first saw this movie before I joined the site. After watching this movie for the first time I knew this was something special, and I still consider it one of the best movies ever made as well as my favorite romance. The film is a true classic, has stood the test of time.

This was also the movie that really made me a fan of Humphrey Bogart. If you want a fantastic leading man look no further then Bogie. One of the quintessential cool actors of the ages, a cinema legend, and an American icon. He was fantastic in this movie, and so was Ingrid Bergman. Let me tell yeah they don’t make actresses like her much anymore. A woman of beauty and grace, but also phenomenal talent. You don’t get to see very much of that anymore. There are way too many Jessica Albas out there sadly.

I've not seen Dawn of the Dead and the only thing I can really remember about Dirty Harry (besides the line in the video) is that I didn't like it.

Casablanca gets a

Nope. But it's been a long time since I watched it.

I might give it a rewatch for the 70s list, but I'm not making any promises.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Nope. But it's been a long time since I watched it.

I might give it a rewatch for the 70s list, but I'm not making any promises.
Seen anything lately that you'd add to your 70s list?

Eraserhead: 1977 (NR) NEW
USA / Libra Films
91% (CF)

Remember when I said Dawn of the Dead was my favorite conventional horror movie? Well here is an UN-conventional horror movie from David Lynch; his very first movie Eraserhead. It would be hard enough to try and do a proper review on this film like I did for my last Top 50. It would be hard because it is VERY difficult to nail down a definite plot to the film. This movie has been picked apart and interpreted to death. But the plot flows like this. Henry and Mary are dating, he is invited to dinner, Henry gets a bombshell dropped on him in the form of some very sudden news, and then the rest of the movie is surrealist nightmare fuel. And by nightmare fuel, I mean this movie is creepy and disturbing as hell! Not scary in a traditional way of fear of physical harm like with Jaws or a Freddy Kruger movie, but on the basis of psychological and metaphysical terror!

Now as I said, I was first exposed to Lynch when I saw Dune on the Sci-Fi Channel. This however was my first proper Lynch film. As in this movie is much closer to his typical work and certainly one of (if not the) most Lynchian movie of his body of work. I first saw this movie about two years ago. I had heard of this movie and its reputation, but I had never seen it. So I decided to take the plunge and rented it from iTunes… at around 10:30 at night with the lights off. Perfect time to see this film considering its history as a midnight movie. For the better part of 90 minutes my eyes were glued to the screen as my mind tried to process the film. All I remember was that it was the most disturbing movie I had ever seen up until that time. I liked it then… but did not know what to make of it. I would revisit the film about a year later after I joined the site, and on the second time around I loved the movie! And it was after this rewatch where I made a rule to watch a David Lynch film at least twice. Once for the initial viewing, and the second time for trying to get a better grasp on the film. It is a hell of a ride every time I watch the movie and I can totally see why this is a midnight movie classic.

Also fun fact, I learned recently Eraserhead was also Stanley Kubrick’s favorite film and he would show it to the cast and crew of The Shining saying this is the mood they are going for.

Seen anything lately that you'd add to your 70s list?
I haven't watched many movies yet. I did watch Tale of Tales and Watership Down. Both were good and might make my list, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm actually wearing my Eraserhead shirt right now. I just realized.

Sleaze-tastic! Midnight Movie madness, Cult sensations, and Exploitation

As I continued to age into a young man, I liked to watch movies that did not generally permeate to more mainstream audiences. In addition within the last year or so I also gained a taste for exploitation movies. And I feel this is a fitting group to talk about after talking about the 70’s cult sensation Eraserhead.

Death Wish: 1974 (R)
USA / Paramount
67%

The king of the vigilante exploitation flicks! Charles Bronson plays a bleeding heart liberal whose world is rocked when his daughter is sexually assaulted and his wife murdered. Turning his back on his former “conscientious objector” past, he starts cleaning up NYC by roaming the streets and subways at night and killing the street walking scum who try to mug and assault him. And while I would have liked to have seen some closure by him killing the guys who assaulted his family, we do still get plenty of scenes where Paul Kersey gets to do what he does best, as well as his dealings with the local police. Classic exploitation.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show: 1975 (R)
USA / 20th Century Fox
78%

Kind of hard to discuss cult films without talking about THE cult film. A film that still gets midnight screenings across the nation after nearly 40 years! Talk about legs! Based off a stage play, The Rocky Horror Picture Show brought the stage show to the cinema where it has become the epitome of the midnight movie. With a loyal and devoted fan base this movie musical blends stage theatrics with B movie sentimentalities. In addition it sports an excellent soundtrack and Tim Curry in easily his most recognizable role. It also manages to be my favorite musical not associated with Disney and certainly not for kids. So come up to the lab, and see what is on the slab, while having fun at Frankenstein place where you may or may not do The Time Warp!

Coffy: 1973 (R)
USA / MGM
75%

A classic movie from the blaxploitation era, Coffy is a vigilante / revenge film starring the queen of the genre, the incredibly hot Pam Grier! Her sister is hooked on heroin, the system is inept, and Coffy is going to get to the bottom of the problem and is not afraid to get her hands dirty! Great action, cool, and a fantastic leading lady. Where the brothas of blaxploitation disappointed me, they can’t come close to the number one sista of the genre. It is not a deep film, but then again exploitation is not meant to be. And did I mention Pam Grier is hot?

The Toxic Avenger: 1985 (R) (Ex Top 50)
USA / Troma
63%

Troma Entertainment is an independent film company that has stayed in business for almost 40 years by making movies that are cheaper than dirt. They are weird, unusual, unique, and often very violent and full of nudity. The Toxic Avenger is a low budget exploitation film with three things going for it: a very weird and very unique premise, lots of practical gore effects, and lots of camp. The movie is directed by Troma co founders Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz, and covers the fateful events when 98 pound weakling Melvin fell into a vat of toxic waste where he became a hideously deformed creature of super human size and strength. And thus was born, the Toxic Avenger (or Toxie for short). The plot is thin, but like I said, one of the things this movie has going for it is the practical effects. And given the trend of CGI gore in horror movies nowadays, it is incredibly refreshing to be reminded of the day when practical gore effects were the norm and not the rarity. I admit this kind of movie is not for everyone. The acting is over the top, the production values are beyond cheap, and there is no subtlety to the villains who are unquestionably evil. But to those of us who love it, it is a cult classic.

Escape from New York: 1981 (R) (Ex Top 50)
USA / MGM
83% (CF)

Another cult classic, this one from John Carpenter. The President of the United States is trapped in the island prison of Manhattan after Air Force One is hijacked, and the warden of the prison (Lee Van Clef) sends in former Special Forces officer and soon to be inmate Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell) to get him out. The deal is set, Snake has 22 hours to get the president out of New York, and he gets a full pardon. Snake is the character that makes this movie so damn cool, and he oozes pure cynicism from every pore. As such Snake is in my opinion the ultimate anti-authority figure. Not the straight shoot ’em up action star (though he is handy with a gun and his fists) but he is also a very cunning warrior who uses his brain to out fox his opponents on more than one occasion. The production design for the movie is perfect! The city is run down and without power save for certain areas. This allows for very creative set pieces such as the arena in which Snake engage in a gladiatorial death match, the floors of the World Trade Center, and the home of the Duke of New York (Isaac Hayes). And as with a lot of Carpenter films, he self composed the score on a synthesizer. It is an excellent piece of B movie style fun with one of my favorite characters in the cinema.

Pink Flamingos: 1972 (NC-17)
USA / Dreamland
82%

The most recent filmmaker I have come to enjoy came to define bad taste with his cult classic. John Water’s Pink Flamingo. I first became aware of this movie through the Cinema Snob, but did not actually set out to watch the flick until I saw the film featured in a documentary called Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream. This film documents six movies closely associated with the midnight movie movement. Two of my favorite movies Eraserhead and Night of the Living Dead I knew were going to be discussed in this film as well as The Rocky Horror Picture Show. So I decided to check this out as well. Well Pink Flamingos was discussed in this documentary so I decided to give that a watch too. I was expecting the filthiest movie ever. And I got pretty much that. Cannibalism, murder, rape, incest, selling children to lesbians, drug use, curses, and ***** eating make up a large chunk of a movie which was written while John Waters was high. And it shows. But it is a very unique film and definitely worth checking out if you are not too squeamish.

The Producers: 1968 (PG) -8
USA / MGM
90% (CF)

I was first introduced to the great Mel Brooks when I was around 8 or 9. We were on a family vacation with my aunt, uncle, and my cousins at the beaches of North Carolina. The adults went to the local mom and pop video store and rented a few movies for the evening. One of the movies happened to be Spaceballs. I loved that movie and over the years continued to rent Mel Brooks’ movies from Blockbuster. This included personal favorites like History of the World Part One, Robin Hood Men in Tights, Young Frankenstein and even Dracula: Dead and Loving It (I am sure I am in the minority there). But the movie of his that was my absolute favorite in terms of concept, I did not see until I was around 16 years old or so; which was The Producers. Two Jewish Broadway producers hatch the perfect scam. Raise a million dollars then put on a $60,000 flop and pocket the rest of the money. All they had to do was find a guaranteed flop. And they find it in Springtime for Hitler.

Now this is a very funny movie to begin with, and some pretty stinging satire against the Nazis, never missing a beat to mock Hitler and the Third Reich. Kenny Mars was particularly funny in this movie as Franz Liepkind. But what I really love about Mel and his humor is just how politically incorrect a lot of his humor can be. I mean here was a movie that had a full musical number with chorus girls dressed as SS officers. We look back on it now in the present day as a classic bit, but back then it was still very taboo. I got to give credit to Mel for going with that gag. Making Mel Brooks one of my favorite comedic directors, as well as one of my favorite directors of all time.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The hell did I just watch.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.