Golden Globe 2015 Winners List

Tools    

I didn't even know these were on tonight. Also, I haven't seen like 95% of the nominees and a lot of that was because of disinterest.

I see a certain Mr. Phoenix lost. Again.

I do like Michael Keaton, don't get me wrong, but he hasn't been consistently good or even around, really. I haven't seen Birdman or Inherent Vice yet, though.

Are you talking about Jessica Chastain's cleavage or the awards?

Kind of predictable except that I've never even heard of The Affair or Transparent.

Enough with these not-real-awards, bring on the sort-of-real-awards!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Transparent was an Amazon.com original series, wasn't it? I think you could only stream it through them. I haven't watched it, though.

I've just watched the speech Kevin Spacey gave for winning Best Actor, House of Cards. What an inspiring speech.

I've always liked and respected him as an actor ever since I saw him in Superman Returns and, of course, even more so in American Beauty. Eight nominations and he's finally won. He so deserved it.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005

I've yet to see one person/review explain what it is exactly that makes Boyhood so great, so the fact that it won a Golden Globe (and in all likelihood will take home the Oscar) makes me that much more confused

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I didn't even know these were on tonight. Also, I haven't seen like 95% of the nominees and a lot of that was because of disinterest.

I see a certain Mr. Phoenix lost. Again.
Me too. But I'm gonna watch a few before Oscars.

I've yet to see one person/review explain what it is exactly that makes Boyhood so great, so the fact that it won a Golden Globe (and in all likelihood will take home the Oscar) makes me that much more confused
I watched it yesterday and I'll have a go. It's the fact that no much happens, that it's just a collection of normal moments. Maybe the fact that my mother's brought me up a lot of the time on her own, whilst going through a couple of long term relationships, my father living away, and me recently leaving my family to go to university makes me very biased, but there's a grounded reality, and humanistic element that flows throughout the whole film that makes it wonderful to watch. To some it might seem dull, boring, scripting or whatever, but I think the majority of people who watch it will at least be touched by one scene somehow. It's just a joy to watch, it makes you happy to live life, teaches you about relationships and reminds us of how lucky we are, to remember the important things in life, and also go for what we dream.

That, the great acting, and the cool soundtrack too

Yes, I get it. I know it's seen as this realistic portrayal of a family and of a boy growing up, but you'd find more depth, artistry and subtlety in that sentence than in Linklater's film which is three hours long. I've said this elsewhere, but I honestly don't think there is anything special about the film, other than the fact that it was filmed over twelve years. It's so one-dimensional I would never watch it again. And I've also said this before but Before Sunset has more to say about life and covers more ground in just 85 minutes than Boyhood does in nearly three hours.

+ the fact that Ellar Coltrane resembles a prop for much of the film certainly doesn't help. Now, if the film had another title and focused more on Ethan Hawke's character and his struggles, maybe then we would've had something

Gooble gobble, one of us!
. I've said this elsewhere, but I honestly don't think there is anything special about the film, other than the fact that it was filmed over twelve years. It's so one-dimensional I would never watch it again.
Now that the film has become more mainstream people seem to brush off the twelve year thing like its nothing. Its easy thinking of an idea like that, but actually doing it is very difficult. Making a film for 12 years, even though it was filmed in little sessions each year, is a damn impressive feat. That amount of commitment is incredible. Also so many things could have gone wrong, like worst case scenario a lead actor could die or become serious ill half way through. The fact that this film was actually made is a miracle. It may not be perfect, which it isn't at all. But each film has its own little thing, and this film has something very special to it.
People rave a lot about the 12 year thing, but sit down and actually think about it. What kind of ****ing maniac would make this film? Potentially wasting 12 years on a ****** boring film. But... Somehow the film worked, not perfectly, but it worked. I for one think Linklater, and everyone else on the project should be applauded for that.