Top 10 Directors of All Time: Recommendations

Tools    

Hmmm... this would take some thinking, but here they are

Goran Markovic - one of my favorite serbian directors, getts the best out of actors he has, and uses a specifical sense of humor that I like.
works (English translation) :
National Class Category Up to 785 ccm ; Special Education ; The Meeting Point ; Reflections

Slobodan Sijan - it`s not just because of the screenplay that are mostly written by Dusan Kovacevic, and not just the actors, who are great, but whenever I watch his movies I laugh my ass out, as they say. A definite representative of Serbian neo-realism.
works (English translation)
Strangler vs. Strangler ; How I Was Systematically Destroyed by an Idiot ; The Marathon Family ; Who's Singin' Over There?

Srdjan Dragojevic - ok, he is to blame for some awful movies in the 2000 era, but how can you hate him if you have seen some of his movies that are great ? That`s just impossible, his version of the war in Bosnia, the Serbian society and it`s problems in the 90`s is so real, that it almost is funny when you look back at those times, and it`s also very, very sad at the same time.
works (English translation)
St. George Shoots the Dragon ; The Wounds ; Pretty Village, Pretty Flame ; Dva sata kvalitetnog programa ; We are not angels

David Lynch - you either hate his works, or you like them, but you can`t say that this man has got the midas touch, he can turn a little, c-production movie into a masterpiece, and visa-versa (well, Dune`s not THAT bad).
works :
Eraserhead ; The elephant man ; Dune ; Blue velvet ; Wild at heart ; Twin Peaks ; Lost Highway ; Mulholland dr. ; Inland Empire

Lars von Trier - the bih Danish fella used modern techniques in his movies (and series) when Americans didn`t even think about them, master of the digital camera, low budget films, and female characters.
works :
Europa ; The kingdom ; Breaking the waves ; Dogville ; Manderlay ; Antichrist ; Dancer in the dark ; The idiots

to be continued...

I'm posting my favorite directors and ones I felt had impact on the industry and deserved to included.

George Roy Hill
The Sting & Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Howard Hawks
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes & His Girl Friday

Alfred Hitchcock
Dial M for Murder & Notorious

Stanley Donen
Singin' in the Rain & Charade

George Cukor
Gone with the Wind & The Philadelphia Story

Steven Spielberg
Jaws & Raiders of the Lost Ark

Clint Eastwood
Unforgiven & The Outlaw Josey Wales

Francis Ford Coppola
The Godfather & The Godfather Part II

James Cameron
The Terminator & Titanic

Martin Scorsese
The Departed & The Color of Money

Apparantly Scorsese was inspired by Powell and Pressburger films. Are there any Scorsese films where they are obviously an influence?

Apparantly Scorsese was inspired by Powell and Pressburger films. Are there any Scorsese films where they are obviously an influence?
I wouldn't say there are any one-to-one correlations between the work of The Archers and Scorsese, no. Marty was friends with Michael Powell from the late 1970s until his death in 1990, and Scorsese's friend and longtime editor Thelma Schoonmaker married him in 1984 (his third wife). Scorsese is a humongous, slobbering fan of their work, for sure, but unlike a filmmaker such as Tarantino he does not fill his work with obvious homages to other films and filmmakers. I believe Scorsese has said that some more general tendencies, like his use of the color red, are influenced by the Technicolor masterpieces of Powell & Pressburger, and I suppose if you want to push it, thematically Powell's Peeping Tom has some general overlap with Taxi Driver...but that's about it. If you go looking for The Red Shoes in New York, New York or The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp in The Aviator, you won't find them.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackNarcissus.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	6804  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Wow - what are those stills from? I love the first one...not that second one is bad...

Wow - what are those stills from? I love the first one...not that second one is bad...
The first one is from Black Narcissus. Nuns gone mad

The scary thing about the second one is that IT NEVER HAPPENED IN THE FILM! It looks like Dolores is reaching a hand out to Teddy but NO ONE ever reached out a hand to Teddy. Not even his hallucination of Rachel Solando.

DELETED SCENE MUCH?

Currently 3rd in my Netflix queue - I shall be watching it soon!
The scenes near the end will make you shudder.

In no particular order

Lars Von Trier
Dancer in the dark/Antichrist

James Hausler
Trip Out

Peter Greenaway
Prospero's Books/Nightwatching

Sally Potter
Orlando/Rage

Alexis Dos Santos
Glue/Unmade Beds

Todd Solondz
Happiness/Life During Wartime

Michael Haneke
Funny Games/The White Ribbon

Joe Swanberg
Hannah takes the Stairs/Nights and Weekends

Aaron Katz
Quiet City/Dance Party USA

Richard Kelly
Donnie Darko/Southland Tales

Andrew Bujalski
Funny Ha Ha/Mutual Appreciation

Guy Maddin
Brand Upon the Brain/My Winnipeg

Atom Egoyan
The Sweet Hereafter/Adoration

I can't wait for Miranda July's next film, her 2nd. She is one to watch out for!

My list would be

1. Christopher Nolan
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Steven Spielberg
4. Stanley Kubrick
5. Martin Scorsese
6. Sergio Leone
7. Quentin Tarantino
8. Billy Wilder
9. Peter Jackson
10. Akira Kurosawa

Here is my list.

Tim Burton
James Cameron
Mel Brooks
Woody Allen
Joel and Ethan Coen
Errol Morris.

My favorite directors would be, in no specific order, Steven Spielberg, Alfred Hitchcock, John Ford, Woody Allen, Stanley Kubrick, Orson Wells, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Quentin Tarrantino and James Cameron.

My favorites would be

Frank Capra
Alfred Hitchcock
Steven Spielberg
Mel Brooks
Tim Burton

Tim Burton seems oddly placed in that list. Seeing as most of his films are complete garbage.

Tim Burton seems oddly placed in that list. Seeing as most of his films are complete garbage.
Yes he does seem oddly placed there..
& true most of his films now are garbage...

But maybe just like me Mikey grew up appreciating Burton's films..
Burton was the reason whyI got myself interested in taking up Graphic Designing, also experimenting with Stop-Motion...
So i do have a soft spot for him as well..

I am willing to forgive him for most of his stuff for now..

most famous films, then two others I (also) love-

Carl Theodor Dreyer- The Passion of Joan of Arc, Ordet, Day of Wrath

Werner Herzog- Aguirre, Wrath of God, Grizzly Man, Fitzcarraldo

Alfred Hitchcock- Psycho, Vertigo, North by Northwest

Buster Keaton (and accomplices/frontmen)- The General, Our Hospitality, Sherlock Jr

Akira Kurosawa- Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Ran

David Lynch- Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, The Elephant Man

Michael Powell (and Emeric Pressburger)- A Matter of Life and Death, Tales of Hoffmann, Peeping Tom

Yasujiro Ozu- Tokyo Story, An Autumn Afternoon, Late Spring

Jean Renoir- La Regle du Jeu, Grande Illusion, Une Partie Campagne

Orson Welles- Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, Touch of Evil

I need to watch that Joan of Arc thing. Everyone seems to think it's the sh*t. As for the rest of your list , but where's Bergman.

I'd definitely recommend it, for what its worth.