The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Eraserhead was on my list, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was not.

Let's all agree that The Eraserhead Chainsaw Massacre is a great idea.

Reviews

My List:

8.The Wicker Man
9.Dirty Harry
12.The Warriors
14.Dawn of the Dead
16.The French Connection
18.The Omen
19 .Deliverance
20.The Deer Hunter
23.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
24.Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Woohoo!!!!! TCM was my #3. I love it.

3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
6. Carrie
12. The Tenant
13. Annie Hall
15. Autumn Sonata
17. The Last Picture Show
19. Badlands
20. The Wicker Man
21. Suspiria
24. Mean Streets
25. Straw Dogs

thrilled The Texas Chainsaw Massacre made the top 25. eerie story with a final act that feels like a real nightmare on film, i don't believe that is easy to accomplish

My List
5) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
12) Serpico
18) Suspria
19) Dawn of the Dead
23) American Graffiti
25) Grease

as for Eraserhead, haven't gotten around to seeing it yet, which will be rectified this fall. it's got a blu-ray release upcoming

"As I think we all do, sometimes..."

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	chainsaw.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	16761  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've not seen nor are really interested in these 2 films. Eraserhead seems good, but I'm not the biggest Lynch fan (I love The Straight Story, but that's a different movie)

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
My list

11 Grease (59)
14 Deliverance (51)
15 The Warriors (37)
17 Dog Day Afternoon (28)
18 Texas Chainsaw Massacre (25)
19 Rocky II (63)
21 Badlands (58)
22 Serpico (55)
23 Solaris (39)
25 The Lords of Flatbush (My One-Pointer)

Eraserhead is my favourite Lynch and one of my all time favourites in general. I had it at 4. TCM is one of my favourite horrors but it ultimately didn't make my list. Great set today.

Seen - 47/76
My list - 9/25

4.Eraserhead
10.The Jerk
12.Paper Moon
13.Dog Day Afternoon
15.Five Easy Pieces
18.Manhattan
19.The Outlaw Josey Wales
20.Little Big Man
21.Mean Streets

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I may have a firmer grasp of Eraserhead than most but that's probably due to my years of doing acid as well as splurging for a "WTF?!" David Lynch decoder ring.

Here's part of an illuminating look at the film:

"Lynch's original Eraserhead script...shows that the director first conceived the project as closer in letter and spirit to the unproduced Gardenback screenplay he wrote before Eraserhead. Gardenback, which also featured a Henry and Mary, was Lynch's abstract meditation on 'the theme of adultery' in which Henry 'looks at a girl and something crosses from her to him.' This 'thing grows and metamorphoses into this monster that overtakes him....'"

Oh, now that I know I just need to take acid and read a book to enjoy Erasehead I should be on board. What did he call it, abstract, I had no idea.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Best pairing so far! If I were to do my list today TCM would probably make it and Eraserhead would have been higher. TCM was so close to making it on mine, but in the end just missed. I love everything Lynch and at 18 I should have had it higher. I guess the 70's really were that good!

Holden's is better. The other one is way too fallic.
I like the look of the chainsaw on Holden's, but it looks confused. Like the chainsaw doesn't know what to do there. Like they haven't figured out how to get the poster right. My poster has figured it out. And if it looks phallic, so what?

Eraserhead was on my list, at #24 to be exact. It's just a great surreal horror experience, but still with a certain sentimentality to it, somehow. I truly connected with the main character and felt empathy for him. I could somehow understand what he was going through, even at the weirdest moments. Fantastic film that I'll rewatch many more times in the future!

-----------------------------

I've seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre a very long time ago (I was like 12 or something) and didn't think it was anything special back then. I also saw the remake, which I thought felt very formulaic.

In primary school I watched plenty of horror films with friends at sleepover parties, but I don't remember most of those films anymore. Most of them were very bad and recent films (Jeepers Creepers is one of the more famous ones). We hired them at the local video store, but of course we just took whatever seemed creepy, so apart from this one, I didn't really see any classics back then (I only realized TCM was a classic when I got older).

I've been rewatching some scenes of the original TCM, though, and they do seem to have a greater effect on me now in terms of atmosphere. I'm definitely going to rewatch it sometime. Maybe with my oldest sister, she loves horror movies and she doesn't mind watching older films either, so she should be into it.

So yeah, I've seen it, but I want to rewatch it before giving my opinion. My memory of it may also be blurred a little bit because of the remake (which I also saw a long time ago, but still more recently).

------------------------------

SEEN: 40/76

100. Logan's Run -

98. Being There -

97. Fantastic Planet -
+
96. All That Jazz -
#12 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever -

84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie -

82. F for Fake -
#17 on my list!
78. MASH -
+ #19 on my list!
77. Mean Streets -
-
76. Hausu -

74. Paper Moon -

71. The Conformist -
+ #21 on my list!
70. Mad Max –
-
66. Animal House -
-
64. The Last Picture Show -
+
60. Le Cercle Rouge –
#13 on my list!
59. Grease –
+
58. Badlands –

57. The Sting –
#16 on my list!
54. The Jerk –

53. Five Easy Pieces –
+ #9 on my list!
52. Manhattan -
#5 on my list!
47. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory –

46. The Rocky Horror Picture Show –

44. Kramer vs. Kramer –

43. Nashville –
#14 on my list!
42. American Graffiti –

41. Life of Brian –

40. Cabaret –
+
36. Carrie –
(+)
34. Dirty Harry –

33. Blazing Saddles –

32. Network –
#15 on my list!
31. The French Connection –

30. Annie Hall –

29. Days of Heaven –

28. Dog Day Afternoon –

27. Harold and Maude –
(+)
26. Eraserhead –
+ #24 on my list!
25. Texas Chainsaw Massacre – no rating

Awesome pair! I believe this is the first where both were on my list. Eraserhead at #2, and Texas Chainsaw at #19. Two superb odd horrors, and I do find both scary in very different ways.

Next I predict Stalker and Superman.
Wrong. Stalker will make the top 10.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."