MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2024 Season

Tools    

Ok this is weird. Jared Jones is listed 2 times on Yahoo. Does this mean whoever gets the second one off waivers also gets his points besides Yoda? Hmmm
Looks like some Yahoo mixup. They briefly screwed something up with Woo's IL designation the other day, too.

Wow! I thought I was gonna try and hang onto Victor Scott II till he was called up, but now he's called back up and slotted for the Opening Day roster. Coolio

A system of cells interlinked
Wow! I thought I was gonna try and hang onto Victor Scott II till he was called up, but now he's called back up and slotted for the Opening Day roster. Coolio
Yea, I have a couple of arms on the back end of my rotation that I will have to make a call on sooner rather than later. Excited to see Meyer back and throwing filth, but this kid will for sure be on an innings cap, so I doubt I get more than a few good starts out of him before he gets sent down so he can sort of hang around and tossing innings here and there to keep him sharp for the end of the year. Harrison is a big question mark, and is a guy I already cut and rehired once Sonny went on IL. Once Sonny is back, I will have to make a decision.

I'm so happy this is about to start. Baseball tomorrow, softball next week. Basically got six solid months of this about to start. What a lovely time of year.

Interesting thought. Could the fantasy team that does the best offensively on Opening Day be the legitimate threat in our league since that's when all the best pitchers take the mound? Hmmm
More of these insights to come throughout the year. Until next time!

The trick is not minding
So how does roster tinkering work on a day to day basis in fantasy baseball? Do you set your roster on a daily basis or let the roster work out for a few days before switching players out?

And with SP’s do you switch them in and out each day if you can? How does it work, exactly? Some of my players will be effected by the postponement

So how does roster tinkering work on a day to day basis in fantasy baseball? Do you set your roster on a daily basis or let the roster work out for a few days before switching players out?

And with SP’s do you switch them in and out each day if you can? How does it work, exactly? Some of my players will be effected by the postponement
Daily moves, and moves allowed right up until game time for each player. With SPs, yeah, you swap them in or out based on whether they're starting, whether you want to play them in a given matchup, etc. Some days you'll happen to have like 3-4 starters going, others none or just one, and on those days you can, say, find room for more relievers instead, if you have them.

Note that once a player's game starts, they're locked for the rest of the day. HOWEVER, if someone is on your bench, you can drop them and replace them even without waiting until the next day. They're only locked when their game starts if they're not on your bench.

I check my lineups every morning and try to remember to check again before most evening games start just in case there's some late scratches. Obviously your hitters, barring injury, are probably not going to change very much most days, but sometimes they get a day off and you can slot in someone else if you notice. And if some of your guys are about equally good you might wanna play the matchups a little. But just accept upfront that you'll miss out on this stuff sometimes and end up playing benched guys. Happens to everyone, especially since they don't always give us a lot of notice.

If you're asking more philosophy, well, even the best players can be awful for weeks, so you usually don't wanna be overmanaging especially early in the year, especially with players who have a track record. But ultimately everyone's got a different threshold for that stuff.

A system of cells interlinked
Keep in mind there is a absolute boatload of factors that affect roto baseball. Really hard to stay on top of everything, and sometimes you just miss something. Keeping track of all the players, the match-ups, weather issues etc. can be tough. Just trust the talent and run them out there each day to do their thing, even if they are obstinately not doing it!

The trick is not minding
I check my lineups every morning and try to remember to check again before most evening games start just in case there's some late scratches. Obviously your hitters, barring injury, are probably not going to change very much most days, but sometimes they get a day off and you can slot in someone else if you notice. And if some of your guys are about equally good you might wanna play the matchups a little. But just accept upfront that you'll miss out on this stuff sometimes and end up playing benched guys. Happens to everyone, especially since they don't always give us a lot of notice.

If you're asking more philosophy, well, even the best players can be awful for weeks, so you usually don't wanna be overmanaging especially early in the year, especially with players who have a track record. But ultimately everyone's got a different threshold for that stuff.
Yeah, it was mostly about how to deal with late scratches and sudden postponements. This helps though, thanks! I gotta look at my lineup and see what I can do.

Remember this - if you drop someone and/or add someone from waivers you have to reset your lineup for the coming days as Yahoo will erase the changes you set in place beforehand.

The trick is not minding
Remember this - if you drop someone and/or add someone from waivers you have to reset your lineup for the coming days as Yahoo will erase the changes you set in place beforehand.
I did not know this. Thanks for the heads up!

Aye. Think of it like this: you can tell Yahoo what to do in advance, but the moment you alter your roster those lineups are no longer possible, and obviously it's not intelligent so it can't say "oh, obviously the guy he dropped is a catcher and he picked up a catcher so..."

Day one of our next 6 months

You know what makes this opening day extra exciting for me? I get to play my waiver guys due to the rainouts. I LOVE finding waiver gems, and Will Benson & Victor Scott qualify. Jarren Duran doesn't count because he never should have been on waivers, and pitchers are so unpredictable its like getting a good scratch off ticket for $100, mostly good fortune.

I like working the waivers so much it actually is a downer when my roster is flush with no moves left to make. It's happened, but rather than self sabotage like in the past I will instead advertise any possible gems in the thread so everyone has a chance of getting them rather than just 1 or 2 people. I could be wrong, and I may have a desperate season where I can't afford the luxury (prayers for Ohtani)....but it's Day One where for a few hours more I can still fantasize about having the perfect roster.

That AI still has a way to go. The same system that is telling me a pitcher is going on IL is telling me to start him over another pitcher.

Been looking forward to this. Good luck everyone not named Chris.