If You were in Hell....!

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
The DH takes all the nuance and strategy out of baseball.
I can see that point. I like the line in the speech because it talks about the purity of the game -- real grass and no DH.

And we shouldn't have interleague games, either.
Great addition to the speech!

And I believe that we shouldn't have interleague games....

of course, they weren't around in 1988.

You're a Genius all the time
I believe we should vote for Dukakis
I can't believe The Last Emperor swept the Oscars
I believe Billy Idol is cool
I believe that I really hope that the AL doesn't start playing the NL in regular season games
And I believe in the cock and the pussy

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The AL isn't even baseball. Is there any doubt why The AL seems to win all the All-Star games and World Series? It's mostly because they CHEAT!!! HA!

I hate the extra guy in the outfield in softball and yth is there even a shortstop? - there is no base there!

I believe we should vote for Dukakis
I can't believe The Last Emperor swept the Oscars
I believe Billy Idol is cool
I believe that I really hope that the AL doesn't start playing the NL in regular season games
And I believe in the cock and the pussy
*tramp looks up at SC wide-eyed*

"Oh my."

(Good speech! I'm still wondering why The Last Emperor won...lol)

And this thread was officially hijacked. *uh-oh*

. . .it's a cleverly written film by a man who obviously loves baseball and sex. Ron Shelton brilliantly put the two together. I just think the screenplay is pretty amazing.. . .but I was rather shocked to see that speech analyzed!
You should never be surprised at some of the strange things that turn up in this forum, dear lady! Actually, I think the movie is brilliant on many fronts, especially the realism of the coaches ("I'ts a simple game--you throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball") and the fantasy of a huddle at the pitcher's mound where they resolve the problems of a wedding gift, a curse, and....oh, yeah, something about the game! I also like the realistic portrayal of the radio announcer providing sound effects for an out-of-town game that he's "broadcasting" from notes from a telephone hookup. That was radio at its best. I think it was one of best roles ever for Susan (Sorandon? That's not even close to her correct name, is it!), although I kept wondering what kind of job she had that she could afford a house and food and clothes and still have time for action day or night in the bed or at the ballfield.

And tell the truth now--in that hot scene where they sweep everything off the breakfast table, didn't the thought flicker through your mind as to who was going to clean up that mess later???

And tell the truth now--in that hot scene where they sweep everything off the breakfast table, didn't the thought flicker through your mind as to who was going to clean up that mess later???
Not really. She is a woman after all, so I thought it was obvious.

You should never be surprised at some of the strange things that turn up in this forum, dear lady! Actually, I think the movie is brilliant on many fronts, especially the realism of the coaches ("I'ts a simple game--you throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball") and the fantasy of a huddle at the pitcher's mound where they resolve the problems of a wedding gift, a curse, and....oh, yeah, something about the game! I also like the realistic portrayal of the radio announcer providing sound effects for an out-of-town game that he's "broadcasting" from notes from a telephone hookup. That was radio at its best. I think it was one of best roles ever for Susan (Sorandon? That's not even close to her correct name, is it!), although I kept wondering what kind of job she had that she could afford a house and food and clothes and still have time for action day or night in the bed or at the ballfield.

I often think of stuff like that when I watch scenes like that.

Now, rufnek, that's more like it! That is a great description of why the movie is so good.

You really picked out some great moments in the film. And I'm a big fan of "hit the bull," and "Well, don't just stand there, I gave you a gift!!!"

It's Sarandon.

Mark f -- Huh????

EDIT: Rufnek, I gave you a "rep point" for that post.

Not really. She is a woman after all, so I thought it was obvious.

Ooooooh! You'll go to NOW hell for saying that!

EDIT: Rufnek, I gave you a "rep point" for that post.
OK, somebody tell me now, what are rep points and how are they awarded! I think I've been shortchanging a lot of folks I've enjoyed talking to in this forum.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
When you look at the top right of anyone's post you will see a thumbs up and a thumbs down graphic. To give someone a positive rep point, well it's fairly obvious at this point, you just click on the one you want.

However, you should be aware that people can see if you gave them the good or bad rep point. It wasn't always that way but now it is.

HTH!

I was in a UK cinema a good 20 years ago and watching a film about a lost island in the Bermuda Triangle and it had strange creatures on it like a monkey with some twigs tied to it's head. It was awful and we were all struggling to stay awake and just as an unconvincing battle scene commenced, on blasted the music theme from ITV's "News At Ten" show and the whole cinema roared with laughter. The one bright spot in the whole film.

If I were forced to watch movies in Hell I don't think they'd be of the Adam Sandler and Steven Seagal variety. No, I think they'd show me my favorites, like Chinatown, Lawrence of Arabia and GoodFellas, but they'd be shown on a cheapo thirteen-inch black & white TV set from 1972 with grainy antenna reception, panned and scanned of course (which I think is actually outsourced to Hell), and dubbed in Farsi or Portuguese. THAT would be torturous to me. Billy Madison I could tune out. Seeing masterpieces butchered would be tough to take.

At least for this cinephile.

"Prenda-o lá, gato da vaquinha."

Oh yeah, and of course the Demons sitting behind me are loudly talking on their cellphones, slurping their sodas and crinkling plastic bags.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Don't forget putting their knee against your seat every 5 seconds or so...

Oh, and...if there was no DH in baseball, we would all be forced to watch namby pamby NL style ball, and that just wouldn't do...

Registered Creature
Eragon.
Spider-man 3 (I actually liked it, but my younger siblings have watched it sooo many times before that it's starting to kill me).
All the Saw films.
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem (THANK GOD THEY'RE NOT MAKING ANYMORE).
Enchanted (I blame my little sister).

And anything by Uwe Boll, though everybody already hates him. Though if you were talking about an alternate reality where everybody loved him, and I was the only one who didn't... then yeah.

Probably having to watch Mamma Mia or Sex in the City all day...grrr.

Probably having to watch Mamma Mia or Sex in the City all day...grrr.
Just goes to show how people differ. Much to my surprise, Mamma Mia was one of the few films I've really enjoyed in years!

But I've never watched Sex in the City on TV or the big screen.