Marvel Comics Movie Rights

Tools    

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but the "business" section seemed to make the most sense. If it's deemed inappropriate, feel free to move it (or remove it as you see fit).

This is probably only of interest to the comic geeks out there, but I got wondering about this issue due to a discussion in the Green Lantern thread. Clearly, since Warner Brothers own DC Comics, Warner has film rights to all of those characters. The Marvel situation is not as clear-cut.

A lot of people have questions about why is Marvel doing this or that? Or why aren't Spider-Man and Wolverine going to be in the Avengers movie? While Marvel (and Disney) have the rights to most of Marvel's characters, there are still some licensed to other film studios. This is the rundown I was able to find via Comic Book Movie:

20th Century Fox

*Daredevil: Daredevil/Matt Murdock, Elektra (Natchios), The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk, Bullseye, Jack Murdock, Karen Page, Ben Urich
Elektra: Christine Cord/Tatoo, Typhoid Mary/Marry Alice Walker, Kirigi, Stick, Stone

*Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin

*X-Men: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [Blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [Bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [Silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan, Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

New Line Cinema

*Blade: Blade, Deacon Frost, Dracula/Vlad Tepes, Hannibal King, Abraham Whistler

Sony Pictures

*Ghost Rider: Ghost Rider/Johnny Blaze, Blackheart/Legion, Phantom Rider/Carter Slade, Abigor, Gressil, Mephistopheles, Wallow, Barton Blaze, Roxanne Simpson

*Spider-Man: Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson

(They also have rights to the Punisher listed as belonging to Lionsgate, but I know that the Punisher rights have reverted back to Marvel. I'm not sure if the Blade rights still belong to New Line or not, so I left it there for now.)

Marvel actually has little say in the films involving these characters outside of consulting. The studios have worked well with Marvel so far, but they could technically release a film with those characters against Marvel's wishes. Expect (more) reboots if/when the rights to these characters revert back to Marvel/Disney.

Side note: There's something very wrong with the idea "Walt Disney Pictures presents... The Punisher!"

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Side note: There's something very wrong with the idea "Walt Disney Pictures presents... The Punisher!"
which is why you will never see it.

Disney owned Miramax which owned Dimension Films.

Disney presents Pulp Fiction won't be happenen anytime soon either mikey

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
btw...who owns the rights to Gargoyles the animated series?

now that would make for a neat live action/cgi extravanganza

There was supposed to be a movie based on the comic Gargoyle.
Never read or heard of this comic, but it's supposed to be a Marvel property.
It was about a kid & a Gargoyle that comes to life.

& this had no relation to the TV show.

BANNED
I guess it is not only the Marvel comics that are giving them TONS of money!! The DC comics as well, like Batman, Superman and other DC comics movies remakes.

MARVEL STUDIOS is the future of comic movies

Unregistered Illegal User
When it comes to making movies from comics i would prefer if they do it in the form of animation. Having said that, i am really looking forward to the upcoming Dr.Strange movie (my favourite Marvel character).

Grill me, I dare you!
My Reviews

Seems like very comic hero is gonna get their time to shine on the big screen with all the new comic movies coming out!

If Disney keeps getting all these aquisitions, they will someday rule the world.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
i love marvel. They released the classic movie.
I like the american captain.
You're funny.

Suspect's Reviews