Lost (Possible Spoilers)

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I just love when they show two new connections we haven't seen before. So, I loved the fun twist at the end with Libby. I just laughed my head off. I LOVE THIS SHOW! I actually LIKE that they mess with us every week with these outrageous continuations of plot.

And, Michael's off somewhere learning computer software to help him enhance pictures of Walt so he'll look like a teenager going through puberty (which is apparently how the actor looks now).

So, what will happen to "Henry"? Any guesses? predictions?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A trade off for WALT possibly?

and yes, SAWYER'S father did kill himself, it was shown in a Sawyer flashback, back in season 1.

After watching this episode, here is my theory...more in depth.

DHARMA is a very powerful secret organization, much like the ones in the DaVinci Code. These people have placed themselves on an island, there they do all their experiements and research. They biggest experiement is what we see before us.

DHARMA brought the plane down on purpose, they have powerful people in high places (Hanso). Everything on the island is an experiment designed by DHARMA to test humans in extreme circumstances.

The survivors past all interconnect because of DHARMA. Everything that happened in their past that led up to them being on the plane was planned by DHARMA. DHARMA has to specifically pick the people they would be experiementing on, such as a doctor, a cop, a con artist, a musician, a solider, etc. They followed them and gave them little pushes here and there to go them to where they are now. Everyone in their past, works for DHARMA, (Locke's father, Sawyer's Mysterious Partners, Nadia, Jack's Wife, Claire's psychic). One of DHARMA previous experiements dealt with the ability of people to walk or not. The whole her being not able to walk was staged and her marriage was fake. DHARMA has the power to give the people the ability to walk or not, they gave this abililty to LOCKE when he arrived on the island.and gave them little pushes that eventually made them end up on the plane.

The experiement, like I said, is to test humans in extreme circumstances. Hence the plane crash. If they drugged them and took them in their sleep then the believability factor of the whole experiement goes out the window. How did they bring down the plane?

Two possibilities: Some people on the plane work for DHARMA (Read characters)

or

This powerful pyschic has the ability to bring the plane down, in two halves, seperating the survivors, to see which base camp would perform better under different circumstances. This would explain why no one was severly injured during the crash, the pyschic could have put some sercurity blanket around the survivors, so that there would only be a few casualties.

In the first season, DHARMA tested how the survivors would cope with living on the island. How they would operate after the crash, who would take the leader role, who would do what, how relationships will break or stengthen.

Mid First, Second Season - Introduce all the mysterious elements of the island. Inside of HATCH, the BLACK SMOKE, the OTHERS, the TAPE, the BUTTON.

CHARACTERS:

EVERYONE, with the exception of the survivors, works for DHARMA. Gale, Desmond, ZEKE, Others, Danielle, Cindy, Pilot.

DANIELLE: Everything she has said is a lie. There is no team, she has no daughter and she has not been there for 16 years. She works for DHARMA, her whole story is a fabrication. Why, again, to test the survivors, experiement on them, is she an enemy or allie? Will they help her get her daughter back? How well can you trust strangers?

CINDY: Where did she go? She disappeared, underground, went to a nearby hatch maybe? Why, not clear yet, possible future conflict. To show that they are not safe anywhere maybe?

LIBBY (50/50): Libby, I'm 50/50 on. She could be working for DHARMA, working as one of the people who follow the survivors before the crash. (Her subject was Hurley). Or she could very well be an innocent survivor of the crash.

OTHERS: The work for DHARMA, different sections, different organizations, different job titles, whatever it is you want to think. But they all work for DHARMA. Their whole stranded on island routine is staged (Proven).

DESMOND: He also works for DHARMA. He's probably sipping lemonaid as we speak in another hatch. He has a script as well and reads it. He's here to "push" the survivors into pushing the button every 108 minutes. What he has in store for us in the future is unknown...by the way, he was reasponsible for following Jack. (Stadium)

Rose/Bernard 50/50: Until we see a flashback at least.

But the pilot is dead you ask? Well, if you ever read a comic book, or watcha horror movie, you'll know that if you never see the death on screen, there is a chance that the person who is supposidly dead is still alive. The pilot's death was staged by DHARMA. All we see is that he is taken from the cockpit. Throw a little fake blood on the window and a fake dead body up in a tree, then presto. I doubt they ever got him down from there. These people who work for DHARMA every now and again interact with the survivors, they do things to see how they would react. Such as kidnapping WALT, CLAIRE, MICHEAL.

Everything is staged. The balloon and the real henry gale was staged and the fake henry gale is a mole. This was to see how far they would go to get the information they wanted. Why would the fake henry gale do this mission knowing that it could cost his life, because HIM, (HANSO) is a ruthless cold blooded powerful man. HE will do far worse things to the fake GALE, then the survivors could ever do.

Every so often the DHARMA employees will subtly send clues to the survivors. I believe the fake GALE is responsible for the black light. He turned it on to show LOCKE, then turned it off as well as the countdown. Now DHARMA will watch the survivors as they react to this new information. The new mystery of the island.

The tape: Another staged experiement to further "explain" why the button should be pushed.

Map on BLAST DOOR: More msyterious elements to test the survivors.

Food Drop: To keep the survivors alive.

Polar Bears: Early experiements on survivors, furthers the "story" behind the tape.

Black Rock: Placed there, with the dynamite so that the survivors could open the hatch. They would let the mystery of it being inland confuse the survivors.

Black Smoke: Another experiement, the pyschic some how manged to harness his pyschich abilities into this cloud of black smoke (Which is why it can read ECKO's past)

This is an organization so powerful, they do not care how many lives are lost. STEVE/SCOTT, BOONE, SHANNON, ETHAN. They have enough money to cover it all up. I'm not denying any magical/mystical elements of the island. The island is a big part of DHARMA.

Suspect's Reviews

Fair enough theory, except for the ability to determine who would survive a plane crash of that magnitude and who would not. It's not true that "no one" sustained grave injuries. That pilot episode makes it clear that bunches of people died horrible deaths. I just don't see how that kind of situation could have been controlled. (Let's assume the same reality you and I live in -- not something where human beings can control plane crashes with ESP or anything.)

It could easily have ended up with absolutely everyone on that plane dying upon impact. I have a hard time thinking that there was no element of randomness at least in the initial plane crash. Now, does that mean that everyone *else* on that plane (people who died right away, characters we never met) was interconnected like the survivors are? But that we'll never see those stories and connections?

I could go for your theory if you just put all-interconnected people on the plane (all of them) and then let nature take its course. Let the Dharma folks keep their fingers crossed that there are survivors and that they find the island. (I could see someone timing the crash/explosion in order to get everyone closer to the island.)

And, as for the pilot: He could at least be in on it. That would explain his saying they had to turn around and head back and that they got off-course. He could easily have been going that way on purpose.

SO much to still learn in this series. Yay. I love all the loose ends.

Originally Posted by Austruck
Fair enough theory, except for the ability to determine who would survive a plane crash of that magnitude and who would not. It's not true that "no one" sustained grave injuries. That pilot episode makes it clear that bunches of people died horrible deaths. I just don't see how that kind of situation could have been controlled. (Let's assume the same reality you and I live in -- not something where human beings can control plane crashes with ESP or anything.)
In the reality that you and I live in there is no such thing as a giant black monster that can read your memories.

Don't you think it's possible that there were other people in the world who needed to go somehwere on a plane in that point in time and that they just so happen to get on that plane. The pyschic didn't have these people on the "list", so he let them die.

I havn't seen the most recent episode but i think a psychic is a little far fetched, all the mysteries of the island are seemingly answered with science so i think to answer the big question with supernatural is a different tone for the show. I wouldn't be suprised if Dharma did bring the plane down, however im almost positive they couldn't have had complete control. I think they let it crash, kidnapped the people not involved in the experiment (Walt) who survived as in those who just caught the flight not at Dharma's will. They probably tried to place them in the tail section explaining why most of them were taken. Also, Jack would be a key part of the experiment explaining why he woke away from the beach. The Jack/Desmond is too much of a coincidence so i think Desmond IS working for Dharma, i'm wondering why no-one seemed obliged to find his boat or validated his story. The black smoke/ Island Monster - don't think the writers actually know where to go with it hence it's minimal appearances. The Others i'm sure are wroking for Dharma, which does make it all seem like an experiment and the food drops show it's still an active experiment. If the pilot was involved, which i'm not discounting, just little hesistant to believe, i think there would have been some clue to it by now so we don't forget about him- like costume along with Zekes. I wouldn't be surpised if everything the survivors encountered was set-up such as the drug plane.

One thing it does need is more Mr Eko.

During Season 1 i read the writers have it planned for 5 seasons. So here's my predictions for each season

2- Learn about The Others working for Dharma, finishes with Walt and Micheal return
3- Start searching for other installations based on the map, ends by finding Dharma H/Q
4- Learn secrets of Island and Black Smoke, different experiments including them
5- Reactions to knowledge learned last season leading to a confrontation with Dharma, open ended ending with possible escape

Considering nothing seems to actually develop the story except the last 5 minutes of each episode, I think it might get a bit tedious.

I think there's a difference between bringing in something weird like the black smoke on this enchanted island, and saying that regular homo sapiens can figure out how to bring down a plane so that only specific people survive. Just too much natural physics involved for me to swallow that one, given the reality we've been presented with.

I tend to agree that we see less of the polar bears and the black smoke lately because they don't want us to think the place is totally devoid of regular reality. We have to be able to count on a few "normal" things (gravity, cause-and-effect, etc.), in order to follow the story.

If they explain who survived the plane crash with some sort of psychic being able to manipulate reality, that's a huge stretch.

As far as I know it, psychics know things and some might have some powers of telekinesis, but something of that magnitude would be a stretch, even for this show. It would be what's called a deus ex machina. I'd be peeved.

Then how about the idea that EVERYONE on the plane was put there by DHARMA, they brought the plane down (cindy + pilot). Knowing that there would be some survivors, they experiement on those ones who lived.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Alright, so after snubbing the show each week for several weeks now, today I watched the last 7 eps I had ignored....and....

Very little has changed. Evolved, yes, but not changed.

The problem with Lost versus other shows that have an ongoing mystery is that Lost intentionally fails to change. It unravels, but never to any kind of a revelation or conclusion, and I've pretty much lost all the drive I once had for the show.

Take Veronica Mars or Battlestar Galactica for example. Two shows that introduce, in their very first episodes, the conflicts of the season and the mysteries that surround. By the end of the first season for either show, things had changed dramatically. The formula for each episode is kept in place and perfected, but the conflict the characters find themselves in is simultaneous related to the events of season 1, while also being entirely new and inventive. Lost just isn't doing this.

Unless the finale of this season completely shatters the conventions of the show (like Battlestar Galactica has done both times, especially with season 2), I'll have zero interest in coming back for a third.

I'm glad other people still like the show, and I'm not trying to rain on their parade, but loose ends (regardless of how numerous, creative or seductive they are) don't hold my respect nearly as much as a show that is clearly climbing towards one readily identified, yet still entirely mysterious, goal.

You have to keep in mind though that those other shows take place over a longer stretch of time than "Lost". In the Lost world, the plane crashed just about 60 days ago.

Is Mr. Eko building a church? Just a hunch.

I could accept that the plane was brought down on purpose. The giant electromagnet might have played a part in that somehow. I've always thought that certain characters were "placed" on the island. Jack and Charlie being two of the most obvious. But the odds of all of the intended people surviving are low. They're just in a "The Truman Show" type of environment. The reason why someone went to all this trouble is a mystery to me though. If they wanted Walt, they could have just taken him after his mother died. I'll just have to keep watching for the answers...and more questions.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
I believe the plane went down accidentally. People did die on the plane and some of the survivors died as well. Remember when the guy went flying into that jet engine? KABOOM~!

What ever happened to Walt's dog by the way?

The plane crashed and we have survivors. DHARMA is just a whacked testing labratory that got onto an unchartered island decided to host tests on it. Easy as that.

I do believe Desmond's story. He was very taken back when the characters entered the hatch. To this day, I believe he is still on the island and running around.

The French women has been on the Island for 16 years if you ask me. It makes sense. Also how Claire saw a girl and that girl helped her out. Makes PERFECT sense.

"Henry Gale" seems to give off the idea that he was also stranded on the island. When he refers to God not even knowing where they are and what not. Also how he says the other's leader (the guy with the beard) is absolutely nothing compared to the rest. I believe "the others" are tied in with DHARMA, but left DHARMA due to their situation on the island.

But what just weirds the crap out of me is when you see Libby sitting there at the very end. VERY WEIRD.

to be continued
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

If the island is quarantined and Desmond wasn't supposed to leave the hatch, then why did the food drop outside? Does the food automatically get dropped or launched from somewhere else on the island if the code isn't input every 108 minutes?

Oh, I definitely believe that everyone on the plane was already related .... although, frankly, even some of that is weird because some of them made arrangements on that exact flight rather randomly. Odd to think Dharma made them pick that exact flight.

But, that aside, yes, it makes more sense to believe that Dharma had everyone interrelated. Then, no matter who survived, they'd have a stake in them.

As for it being accidental, I don't think so. Mostly because of Desmond's connection with Jake beforehand. So, we have someone already on the island having had deliberate contact with someone on the plane before the accident. That seems too coincidental to me.

Most times it seems like a combination of Bermuda Triangle (other people having crashed here too but the island not being charted) and creepy mad-scientist experimentation a la Manchurian Candidate on steroids.

Og, I can see your frustration, but I guess I watch "Lost" because it's just so darn FUN. There are a lot of characters so there's someone for everyone to relate to. And it's just so unpredictable (I mean the major twists) that I have fun watching it. Plus, I don't judge one show by other, very different shows. I just ask myself if I'm being entertained and if it's worth watching each week. So far, I'm still voting yes.

I'm not sure why the food dropped when it did. Was it partly due to the non-input of the numbers? Did it have something to do with when the hatch sealed off? (I tend to think the latter.)

A fun show.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by OG-
I'm not trying to rain on their parade, but loose ends (regardless of how numerous, creative or seductive they are) don't hold my respect nearly as much as a show that is clearly climbing towards one readily identified, yet still entirely mysterious, goal.
This echoes my own sentiments towards the show as well. Ive lost serious faith in the show, and to be totally honest i only watch now becuase of the simple reason that i am an addict. Lost is my heroin. And after each hit im just as unsatisifed as ever.

Saying that though....bring on my next hit!

Was thinking that maybe The Others are also part of Dharma's experiment (unwillingly). Though begins to sound a bit like Saw only bigger scale.

Last episode was really weak. The WHOLE show was Hurley when they should have elaborated on Gale etc.

Everyone keeps bitching at it to get on with more twists, answer all their questions and what not. But from the very start the show has been about the characters, not the weird science.

Well, here's a bit of good news for most of us:

----------

Disney to Make 4 ABC Shows Free Online

BURBANK, Calif. (AP) - The Walt Disney Co. said Monday said its TV group plans to offer four ABC prime-time shows including "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" online for free beginning in May.

The offerings will also include current episodes of "Commander in Chief," as well as the entire season of "Alias," and will be available through June.

The shows, being offered by the Disney-ABC Television Group, will be supported by advertisers, including AT&T Inc. (T), Ford Motor Co. (F), Procter & Gamble Co. (PG), Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) and Unilever PLC (UL), among others.

The TV group also said it will launch a broadband channel for soap opera viewers on April 17, available to Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) consumer broadband customers, called Soapnetic.

Shares of Walt Disney Co. rose 12 cents to $27.65 in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

-------

Now some of us who inadvertently miss the show don't have to buy it on iTunes for two bucks.

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Everyone keeps bitching at it to get on with more twists, answer all their questions and what not. But from the very start the show has been about the characters, not the weird science.

Doesn't mean it's not annoying when they wander into history instead of dealing with present. Just makes me think more and more they don't actually know where they're taking the show.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Hah, Lost goes on another two week break after this week's episode.

Maybe some day Americans will actually show some kind of protest of networks that repeatedly pull this bull**** with their shows (it certainly isn't just Lost), but I highly doubt that is going to happen any time soon.

It's the price we pay when they start the shows so early in September. They have 36 weeks to show 24 episodes.

Healing island, eh? Okay. It fits.

Kate is still an idiot. Acts like she's never seen a doll before.

Michael! I was afraid a bear got him.