56,000 sq ft

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The estate house of Aaron Spelling, nestled in the Hollywood Hills, is reportedly 56,000 square feet.

By comparison, I think my apartment is about 800.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to decide what you would do with that much space. Show your work.

Ground Control To Major Thom
How

Originally Posted by SmegFirk
How
heh... well, I was kidding about the "show your work" thing. Or did you mean "How (could a person possibly use that much space)"?

I think I'd have to have family move in, several friends as well, and house staff. Without staff, I'd have a full-time job just cleaning the place.

So..
  • a master suite (500 sq ft)
  • apartment for my mom (800 sq ft)
  • 10 guest rooms (3000 sq ft)
  • housing for a staff of 4 (2 maids, a butler and a cook) (4000 sq ft)
  • an olympic-sized indoor pool, jaccuzzi, saunt, changing rooms, (2000)
  • and a billiard room (200)
  • and a gymn (200)
  • A crafts room with tons of built-in storage. (200)
  • A flower room, simply because I've been in a few century houses that had them and I'd have flowers growing outside that I'd arrange and dry and all... (150)
  • 2 Sleeping porches (200)
  • veranda (you have to have one) (100)
  • A conservatory (with a Steinway). (400)
  • I'd have a theater like the one in Emma Thompson's house in
    Impromptu
    , with a big screen for showing movies. (500)
  • formal dining room (225)
  • informal dining room (200)
  • grand foyer (150)
  • library (300)
  • office (running that much square footage would require a lot of paperwork) (200)
  • wine-making facility and cellar (400)
  • bathrooms! (not the ones already included in the guest rooms) 3 of 'em (300)
  • Kitchen (400)
  • laundry (180)
  • linen room (150)
  • morning room (on the East side of the place) (150)
  • household storage (300)
  • OOH!! An art gallery! (750)
  • meditation room (100) (this needs to be small)
  • sewing room for Mom (200)
  • media room w/computer, sound equipment, darkroom (150)

At last count, I'm only up to 16115 sq ft.
What on earth is in their house? Area 51??

A system of cells interlinked
I'll give it a shot, as I have many, many interests (not hobbies, those cost money).
The Screening Room - Of course, a gigantic home theater that was mind-warpingly expensive would need to be one of the main attractions of the house. About the size of one the "large" theaters down at the local multiplex, this would be THE place to watch a film. Full size sceen, plenty of sound dampening, and lounge-ish seats as well as traditional theater seats for those lazy friends that will surely be camping out in the house from time to time. Custom mini-concession stands would be available in the area, as well.

The Core - When I feel like jumping on MoFo, SL, or any other web-based destinations, I will adjourn to the technology center in the house. Drawing enough juice to power Vermont for a month, there will be plenty of computers, gadgets, and other tech based toys jacked in...

The Kitchens - I like snacks, tastey snacks, I like. There would need to be at least six kitchens, with many secret stashes of snacks and beverages hidden about the house, as well.

The Laboratory - With all my dough, I would need to have at least three different plans to take over the world being researched at all times. Mind control, mass hypnosis, MoFo...many methods of domination would be researched and executed immediately. Another subsection of the lab would be dedicated to adding a new number between two and three. One, two, bleen, three...

• The Music Studio
- I play a few instruments, as well as spinning records from time to time. A massive music studio/performance area would be a great place to have massive jams, or hide away to create.

The Cat - Yup, THE Cat. My arch-nemesis, Morty, rules over my girlfriend and I with an iron grip. Forced to cater to his every whim, we endure lives of servitude and humiliation at the hands of this foul creature of darkness. Be it placing little kitty presents about the house, or rabbit punching my eye sockets at 4:21 a.m., he always seems to have the upper hand. 28,000 of the 56,000 ft. would have to go to THE Cat, before we even moved in.

More to come...

I wouldn't go for anything so extravagant.

I'd simply build an epiphany toilet atop the tallest tower in the world.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
I wish he went on Cribs
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

Originally Posted by Ford
I wouldn't go for anything so extravagant.

I'd simply build an epiphany toilet atop the tallest tower in the world.
ha!! That baby needs a seatbelt!

The People's Republic of Clogher
A one bedroom apartment with adjoining brewery and golf course?

I never could get into The Sims. Once you've plonked your little guy into the bathroom, removed the toilet and bricked up the door there's no more fun to be had...

two swimming pools, (outside and inside)
gym room
theatre and gathering room
den
guest bedrooms
laundry
living room
kitchen
pantry
2 guest houses
2 mini golf courses (small, outside and inside)

Randomly visiting for now
I don't know about the square feet (especially since we use metres in Australia) but yeah here's a bunch of weird stuff i'd have;
  1. Well when I was little I always wanted to travel around my house via waterslide, so I guess I'd want that -huge waste of water.
  2. A library with its own fireplace and extra cushy chairs that you sink into.
  3. A pool with a bar coming out of the middle of it.
  4. A heap of apartments for my friends to live in.
  5. I don't think I'd have my own cinema because I like going out to the movies too much :P but yeah a really big TV would be nice
  6. A soccer pitch would be awesome!
  7. I wouldn't mind random fridges stacked with chocolate and soft drink hidden around the place (like somebody else said)
  8. Little golf carts so people can ride around the huge grounds and also have races in.
  9. I'd probably have to have some cooks living on the grounds cause I would end up eating rubbish all the time otherwise.
  10. My own personal gym would be nice so I don't have to pay the ridiculous fees they charge near my place.

56,000 sq ft of:.....................................

M & Ms

Ground Control To Major Thom
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
heh... well, I was kidding about the "show your work" thing. Or did you mean "How (could a person possibly use that much space)"?
I seriously thought you meant you would like people to draw some sort of diagram... but from your description of what you would do with the space you seem to only be thinking about the house... from the picture there is a tennis court and some sort of large green area as well as something which looks like the side shot of a tie fighter, albeit circular instead of hexagonal.

I pretty much am only thinking about the house. The thing they said on the radio was that the house itself is that big. The grounds would be more. ::mind boggles::

I would sell the damn place and give money to help people in 3rd world countries....I am not Mother Theresa or anything, but nobody needs that much space!

But first I would hold a HUGE party for mofos and myspacers and of course anybody I meet on the street that seem like interesting people, oh and my friends and family. )

May The Forks be With Us
I would have a monstrous kitchen, a 15 lane bowling ally for me and my friends, a party room, and a gigantic master suite with 4 king size mattresses all put together to make one really big mattress. The rest would be apartments for my friends when they came to visit and for staff, like cooks and butlers and the such. Then I would use the rest of the unused grounds which would probably be about 30000 sq ft just as grass land for stuff like soccer or baseball or football maybe even some ultimate frisbee. I would have all these things stored in a shed off to the side of my house. I would also maybe have an obstacle course just to train in, that'd be fun. I think I would also put in a gym and invite people to come workout there, for a fee of course but nothing too big. I think I probably used up all the land but I don't know. By the way, Who is Aaron Spelling?

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Originally Posted by HellboyUnleashed
. By the way, Who is Aaron Spelling?
Producer of 7th Heaven, Charmed, Melrose Place, and many other Tv Shows...Father of Tori Spelling ....

May The Forks be With Us
Originally Posted by gummo
Producer of 7th Heaven, Charmed, Melrose Place, and many other Tv Shows...Father of Tori Spelling ....
thanks. jeez, you wanna talk about loaded.