A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

This movie caused such a crisis for the people who came to rent films from my (small town Iowa) video store.

On the one hand, Adam Sandler! He does the funny baby voices!

On the other hand, treating the idea of gay people as not pure evil?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!
Nuance!

3 episodes into Midnight Mass and it is ****ing awesome. Very Stephen King, it even has its own Mrs. Carmody.

I had a Virgil Vogel triple feature this weekend, as one does.

THE MOLE PEOPLE (1956)

Ward Cleaver and his team climb a mountain and discover a race of underground dwellers and the less-than-attractive creatures that they use as slave labor. (The leader of this group is Alfred the Butler.) Mostly well-written, this one is notable for creature designs by Milicent Patrick.

I encourage everyone to research Ms. Patrick's fascinating but frustrating story. Short version: Designed the Gill-Man for Creature from the Black Lagoon, but was not given credit because the head of the studio's makeup department was jealous of the acclaim she was getting. She pretty much never worked in monster design again. (She also designed Fantasia's Chernabog, so....yeah. She was awesome.)
Lady From the Black Lagoon

THE LAND UNKNOWN (1957)

A research team heads to Antarctica for...research, and discovers an inexplicably not-frozen area which happens to be infested with prehistoric creatures. The dinos are a mixture of real lizards on miniature sets, and guys in T Rex suits. My standards are incredibly low, so I enjoyed this one too.

TERROR IN THE MIDNIGHT SUN (1959)

So apparently an American studio bought a pre-existing Swedish film and inserted some English-language scenes (a la Raymond Burr's Godzilla). There appears to be two American-ized versions, in fact. Invasion of the Animal People, with new scenes featuring John Carradine, and Terror in the Midnight Sun, sans-Carradine. It's my understanding that the latter is closest to the Swedish film, so that's the one I went with.

Is the monster dopey-looking? Yes. But I did like the way they managed to convey the size of the thing, through forced perspective and miniatures and camera placement, etc.

And when someone is about to get stomped they'd switch to the monster's POV which again gives you a sense of scale.
This is not a lost classic by any means, but we've often said that when you watch enough films from a certain genre you tend to appreciate the little things that make it stand out, and I'd file this one there.

I think I might have seen Terror in the Midnight Sun, but don't seem to have logged it. Will give it a gander later to see if it's the movie I'm thinking of.

I think I might have seen Terror in the Midnight Sun, but don't seem to have logged it. Will give it a gander later to see if it's the movie I'm thinking of.
I don't know if I'm understanding the back story correctly, because the scenes that include English dialogue are all of a relatively high quality (for 50s sci-fi anyway). Whereas the Raymond Burr bits in Godzilla are pretty clearly shoehorned in, as a comparison. So I'm not really clear about what's original and what's been added. And I can't find the Carradine version to compare.
But yeah, I enjoyed it. The monster doesn't show up until late in the film but I wasn't bored, so that's saying something.

I don't know if I'm understanding the back story correctly, because the scenes that include English dialogue are all of a relatively high quality (for 50s sci-fi anyway). Whereas the Raymond Burr bits in Godzilla are pretty clearly shoehorned in, as a comparison. So I'm not really clear about what's original and what's been added. And I can't find the Carradine version to compare.
But yeah, I enjoyed it. The monster doesn't show up until late in the film but I wasn't bored, so that's saying something.
I looked up some screencaps, and also see that it had a Something Weird DVD release, so good chance it's the movie I'm thinking of. I do remember it being a pleasant surprise, but am hazy on the details.

An hour into The Birds.

1) I'm rooting for the birds. Is there another way to watch this film?

2) My cats are going nuts. Sorry guys, these are TV birds.

3) I've been dived at by a hawk and also attacked by a rooster (and had to go to the urgent care because of the injuries), and yet I'm having a hard time taking the threat seriously.

The trick is not minding
An hour into The Birds.

3) I've been dived at by a hawk and also attacked by a rooster (and had to go to the urgent care because of the injuries), and yet I'm having a hard time taking the threat seriously.
This reminds me of the opening to Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

“No ones laughing now.”

The Birds is one of the most B-movie highly regarded movies I've seen. I'm pretty sure I liked it, but I wouldn't call it great.

I had a Virgil Vogel triple feature this weekend, as one does.
They don't make posters like they used to. Tsk tsk tsk. Without these, I might never have gotten into 50's schlock the way I did. I'll be watching Midnight Sun for sure. I love the winter ones.

An hour into The Birds.

She has watched it! Yay!

I often root for “the birds” in many different films, so it’s not that unusual

I'll be watching Midnight Sun for sure. I love the winter ones.
The closing credits claim that parts of it were filmed in the Arctic Circle. Might just be ballyhoo, but it's a winter one for sure. Bonus skiing and figure skating footage!

Victim of The Night
Honestly, The Birds is one I just never could buy into, even after like, nearly 40 years since I first saw it and certainly that since I first hear the hype. Just can't get there with it.

She has watched it! Yay!
Getting there. I'm a little over an hour in.

I am finding it kind of boring. Like, the promise of a seagull attack and then just a bunch of talking?

And also, the dude's mother is played by an actress who is 21 years older than him, which I concede is not illogical or whatever, but she looks so close to his age and they keep trying to make her seem infirm when she's just like 53 years old?

I did love the shot where she comes in the house and all of the hanging teacups were broken.

But generally, eh. And also the treatment of the real birds is upsetting to me. Putting pins in their mouths and taping them shut? Tying them to the actors with thread so they can't get away?

In equally cinephilic news, I'm halfway through the first live action Scooby Doo movie and... it's actually not terrible? I mean, there's definitely enough of the early 2000s garbage vibes sprinkled throughout, but it's also much wittier than I expected. Great casting too. I knew Matthew Lillard would be a natural for Shaggy (and am starting to think he's a much better actor than he's given credit for, between this, his villainous role in She's All That and of course Scream), but Freddie Prinze Jr. has been stealing the show. I always found Fred the most boring character from the gang, so Prinze going all in on the hunky dumbass angle has been a welcome surprise. I will concede that leftover good vibes from a recent viewing of She's All That might be playing a role here.

WARNING: spoilers below
Ngl though, kinda weird that nobody said anything when Isla Fisher admitted to eating dog food. I know Shaggy's a slob, but he should still have standards. Huge red flag IMO.

leftover good vibes from a recent viewing of She's All That might be playing a role here.
The movie with the spoken word "Hackey Sack" poem that everyone inexplicably loves? Don't answer, I know it's a yes.

The movie with the spoken word "Hackey Sack" poem that everyone inexplicably loves? Don't answer, I know it's a yes.
It reminded me of the SLAM poetry scene from 22 Jump Street. What's not to love?

In equally cinephilic news, I'm halfway through the first live action Scooby Doo movie and... it's actually not terrible? I mean, there's definitely enough of the early 2000s garbage vibes sprinkled throughout, but it's also much wittier than I expected. Great casting too. I knew Matthew Lillard would be a natural for Shaggy (and am starting to think he's a much better actor than he's given credit for, between this, his villainous role in She's All That and of course Scream), but Freddie Prinze Jr. has been stealing the show. I always found Fred the most boring character from the gang, so Prinze going all in on the hunky dumbass angle has been a welcome surprise. I will concede that leftover good vibes from a recent viewing of She's All That might be playing a role here.

WARNING: spoilers below
Ngl though, kinda weird that nobody said anything when Isla Fisher admitted to eating dog food. I know Shaggy's a slob, but he should still have standards. Huge red flag IMO.
It’s because it was written by James Gunn, yo. Both of them were, actually. Developing that quirky team dynamic for a long while.

It’s because it was written by James Gunn, yo. Both of them were, actually. Developing that quirky team dynamic for a long while.
Ngl, I would have liked The Suicide Squad better if Scooby Doo was one of the Suicide Squad.

Ngl, I would have liked The Suicide Squad better if Scooby Doo was one of the Suicide Squad.
Who do you think Weasel was?