What's Your Favorite Alien Craft?

Tools    

Certifiably troglodytic.
'Tis the season to be buzzing about ghostly kinds of things but I want to ask anyway, being a sci-fi lunkhead (not to mention a WotW goon of annoying proportions):
So what's your favorite alien craft and what sets it apart from the others?
(I did a search and didn't find anything like this thread topic I'm starting, so if you know I overlooked something, tell me...)

Admittedly recent, mine would have to be the tripod(s) from War of the Worlds (2005).

For my explanation, I thought I'd include an excerpt on the machines from a review I did on the film a while back (if you'll indulge me ):
The initial appearance sequence of the insect-y machine-- erect and eclipsing the sun-- is as riveting and ghastly a scenario as one could dare imagine and it may have left its inimitably-cratered place in science-fiction cinematic history. This scene is one reason why I would finally determine to come and see the film again.

Camera angles are layered, revelatory, creative and playful as you would expect from Spielberg. Composer John Williams hones a score that cloaks and adorns the tripods to perfecting and horrific proportions. So portentous are the droning, repetitive and anticipatory tones, trills and movements that you could almost envision an alien conductor orchestrating the musical story alongside the visual if you didn’t know better.

It isn’t enough that the human characters progress throughout the movie. Concurrent with the earthly family is the story of the development of the tripods. In each of their featured sequences, they appear with progressively varying and dastardly objectives, carrying them out with horrendous purpose. The machines are afforded various indiosyncrasies, traits and physical characteristics as to be actual creatures in and of themselves and not just vehicles for tinier alien drivers. The machines creak, pump and grind as one would expect from other-worldly mechanical processes but they also spew fluids and gases in very “bodily” ways.

In the eerie and seminal intersection scene early on, a stunned crowd and a towering two-hundred foot tripod behold one another for the first time in a nervous silence until the tripod finally bellows forth a “greeting” in an ominously deafening two-toned “honk.” This honk-progression occurs in a musical minor-third, which cleverly creates the atmosphere from which horrible portents will flow. Spielberg has the music tell the story again, when Tony Bennett’s "If I Ruled The World" echoes from the Hudson Ferry between the grotesque train of flames and the triple tripod threat from over the hills to the ferry itself.

Giving the machine such a persona is deft and very Spielbergian, a la Close Encounters, but with bloody fangs. This attention to fine detail makes the experience of the machines quite palpable. Overall, the viewer must definitely pay attention to even the most fleeting of details in the auditory and visual imagery because the tripod's story is ongoing in the seemingly mundane elements that could be overlooked.

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
This sounds like a fun thread!

Very nice review by the way...

I, however, would have a very difficult time coming up with a favorite alien craft. There are favorites in different ways.

The Borg cubes from Star Trek come to mind first - simplicity in design, best use of space, and besides, you don't need to have a streamlined ship if its always in space, so why get complicated with things sticking out here and there, giving it a sleek profile, all that stuff...

The Battlestar Galactica - besides being a freakin cool ship, that's one hell of a name

The TARDIS - lets go flying through space and time in a ship that's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and looks like an old police box to boot!

I've got others, but that's a start...

I totally agree with the Battlestar Galactica, I'd add the Vipers too :P

As Star Trek ships go, you can't beat the Romulan Warbird for just plain coolness. The Defiant is pretty cool too.

How about the shadow ships from Babylon 5?

Those are but a few of my favs.

Best alien craft? The miniaturized vessel and human crew that they shrink down and inject into a wounded diplomat’s bloodstream to remove a dangerous blood clot in Fantastic Voyage. Now that was a real alien excursion through the human body.

I, however, would have a very difficult time coming up with a favorite alien craft. There are favorites in different ways.

The Borg cubes from Star Trek come to mind first - simplicity in design, best use of space, and besides, you don't need to have a streamlined ship if its always in space, so why get complicated with things sticking out here and there, giving it a sleek profile, all that stuff...

The Battlestar Galactica - besides being a freakin cool ship, that's one hell of a name

The TARDIS - lets go flying through space and time in a ship that's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and looks like an old police box to boot!

I've got others, but that's a start...
Speaking of Battlestar Galactica, how does the new series compare with the original? I thought the original was ultra-boring and have never watched the new one.

Speaking of Battlestar Galactica, how does the new series compare with the original? I thought the original was ultra-boring and have never watched the new one.
The old series had its own sort of charm. Looking back on it, it feels like pure camp, but is fun because of that, not in spite of it.

The new series is very different in the feel of the story. If I were to make a comparison, it would be something like looking at the Michael Keaton Batman movies and the new Batman Begins (and I assume now The Dark Knight)... although the Michael Keaton ones aren't quite so campy as just, different... and the new ones are grittier.

Certifiably troglodytic.

Thanks!

I agree...it is a tough thing to nail down. Good point about the Borg cubes too.

Yes indeed.

Absolutely. Everyone needs their own TARDIS.

The Tardis, definitely.

Although...The Millennium Falcon...is this alien or not?
It's the Millennium Falcon....that's good enough for me.

I totally agree with the Battlestar Galactica, I'd add the Vipers too :P

As Star Trek ships go, you can't beat the Romulan Warbird for just plain coolness. The Defiant is pretty cool too.

How about the shadow ships from Babylon 5?

Those are but a few of my favs.
I loved the Ceylon fighters...I had a plastic one as a kid and ran that sucker in the ground. It is hard to top the Romulan Warbird for its sheer intimidating appearance.

Best alien craft? The miniaturized vessel and human crew that they shrink down and inject into a wounded diplomat’s bloodstream to remove a dangerous blood clot in Fantastic Voyage. Now that was a real alien excursion through the human body.
Good choice. I wouldn't have thought of that one.

To add another, I always thought there was something awkwardly elegant about Boba Fett's Slave 1 craft from ESB.

Beware The Probe!
Kudos to the Borg cube and Slave-1.

My pick would have to be the Klingon Bird-of-Prey.

Why?

Well...
It's shaped like a damn bird of prey.

PERFECT!

A system of cells interlinked
BSG is one of my favorite shows of all time, and, IMO, one of the most well written, intelligent, and deep shows I have ever seen. Nothing really compares to it, in my mind. The show won a Peabody award, which usually goes to a humanitarian documentary or something of the kind.

If you have Netflix, check out the mini series that launched the show back in 2004...

As for cool alien crafts...

the Giger designed ship in Alien, of course. It's only in the movie briefly (and never really explored in any of the sequels for some reason) but is the most memorable and strange thing in any of the Alien movies.

Beware The Probe!
The new Cylon raiders are definately cooler looking that the originals from the '70s. Their base ships even look pretty sweet. Complete alien look to them I think.

Another sweet alien ship I've always loved were the Minbari warships from Babylon-5.
They always reminded me of angelfish or something.

I think alot of B-5 alien ships were designed after animals.
They had a very organic look to them.
The Vorlon ships looked like squids, the Whitestars always reminded me of salamanders, the shadow vessels had an obvious spider look to them (plus they screamed inside your mind when they flew past).

Another nice touch were how the Earth ships had rotating sections to generate artificial gravity. Most sci-fi shows never went that way.

Another nice touch were how the Earth ships had rotating sections to generate artificial gravity. Most sci-fi shows never went that way.

Yes, its always nice to see a bit more of the Science part of the sci-fi genre come out. Recently, one of my favorite instances of this was in Firefly, when they actually had no sound when showing outer space scenes, especially battles.. sometimes they had no sound at all, other times maybe a few string instruments to give the scene an even more ethereal feel, but there were no sounds of the big explosions, or of engines running, or whatever. I was a bit upset when they veered from that in parts of Serenity, but oh well...

Also War of the Worlds' Tripod robot here..

I am half agony, half hope.
I remember being stunned by the size of the space craft in Independence Day. A ship as big as an entire city! It was intimidating, and they were tough, too. Those are my favorite.

Johann von Goethe

Well for me, (this is a really cool thread btw) The Millenium Falcon is cool but the only one I've ever obsessed over was this one from my childhood, I used to get up at 6:30 in the morning so I could watch Starblazers and some day I'm gonna plunk down the cash to buy the whole series... Anyway what sets it apart? 3 words... Wave Motion Gun! "nuff said!"

I love Slave 1 because it was such an unorthodox-looking spaceship when TESB came out. It's design was based on a streetlamp; someone said, "I bet you can't make a spaceship out of that", so someone else did. Awesome.

Beware The Probe!
Well for me, (this is a really cool thread btw) The Millenium Falcon is cool but the only one I've ever obsessed over was this one from my childhood, I used to get up at 6:30 in the morning so I could watch Starblazers and some day I'm gonna plunk down the cash to buy the whole series... Anyway what sets it apart? 3 words... Wave Motion Gun! "nuff said!"
NICE!
I Forgot about the Argo.
The WMG was definately a superior weapon.
For anyone who isn't familiar with the cartoon, it was kinda like hooking rockets up to the naval destroyer, Yamato to make it space-worthy and then strapping the Death Star ray onto its bow.
The Gamelons never stood a chance.

Your Star Blazers entry reminds me of another series from way back then.

Battle of the Planets, whose team, G-Force, had a ship, the Phoenix which could deploy 4 smaller crafts for each team-member.
Mark had a jet, Jason had a race car, Princess had a jet-bike, and Keyop had a star-buggy ahile Tiny remained behind to operate the Phoenix which incidently had a secret weapon - it transformed into the Firey Phoenix and became unstoppable.

There's a new CGI movie in the works for this old cartoon so I'm looking forward to that next year.

Colour out of Time
Thread Reactivation Mode - Engaged

In the 1970 Gerry and Sylvia Anderson (Thunderbirds) created a scifi series in the UK ... this time non-puppet, UFO. It was a story about an organisation who protected earth from alien visitation.

IMDb - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063962/

Mars Attacks! (1996)

War of the Worlds (1953)

Cheers