Top Ten Overrated and Best

Tools    

Success is the only Earthly judge..
The only disagreement I have is sin city, but i guess it is just to my taste...

However I completly and utterly agree with what you said. I went to the movies expecting to see a good show, I even took my girlfriend along, instead I got to see a movie that sucked so bad I was almost pulled from my seat and moved to tears...That's the kinda time that you wish you had ebola, so you could have a good excuse to leave.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Sleezy
But not okay for people to say they think certain films are "must see" material without other people telling them they "need to be shot in the head"?

Jeez, lighten up

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Thursday Next
I think you answered your own question with regard to Goodfellas and the Godfather being compared....It wasn't that Goodfellas isn't as good as the Godfather, that would be a lame point to make, there is no reason why there shouldn't be two good films about the mafia. My point was that I didn't like any of the characters in Goodfellas, and this wasn't because they were mafia-type murderers, because mafia-type murderers can be sympathetic (see Godfather). Generally I think gangster movies on the whole are overrated by some.

As for the Breakfast Club...I don't think I missed the point, I just don't think I liked the point. The film that I think most reflects my school experience, in a much more natural way is 'Show Me Love' (Moodysson).

I'm not expecting people to agree with my picks, I didn't agree with the picks of whoever started this thread in the first place, but I do think it is ok for people to say they think certain films are overrated without people telling them to "stop watching films and take up gardening". I don't think everyone has to like the same films just because other people or 'general opinion' says these films are good. A lot of 'classic' films are revered simply because they are considered 'classic'.
But, that is what these boards are for. To discuss films. Sometimes that will entail a disagreement, and sometimes, the disagreement will be strong. I am sarcastic, it's my MO on MoFo, and I rarely mean anything serious by it. I understand where you are coming from, and it's never personal, but people who don't like Casablanca, or at least recognize it for the well made, perfectly scripted piece of film that it is, should go buy a trowel. I'll keep on making silly (and bad) jokes, and some people might just think them funny...

I hear ya on The Breakfast Club, and that's why I mentioned the generational thing. That film's time just might have passed...

Originally Posted by Opie Wayne
The only disagreement I have is sin city, but i guess it is just to my taste...

However I completly and utterly agree with what you said. I went to the movies expecting to see a good show, I even took my girlfriend along, instead I got to see a movie that sucked so bad I was almost pulled from my seat and moved to tears...That's the kinda time that you wish you had ebola, so you could have a good excuse to leave.
Opie, please quote what you are responding to so we can figure out what you are referencing. When going to replay, click the quote button on the post you are replying to. Which film are you talking about? Sin City?

Originally Posted by Sedai
people who don't like Casablanca, or at least recognize it for the well made, perfectly scripted piece of film that it is, should go buy a trowel. I'll keep on making silly (and bad) jokes, and some people might just think them funny...
I don't think Casablanca is a bad film, I can see why people like it, but not why so many people like it so much. In all seriousness, did you not think the bit where they all stand up and sing the Marselllaise a bit...cheesy???

I don't think Casablanca is a bad film, I can see why people like it, but not why so many people like it so much. In all seriousness, did you not think the bit where they all stand up and sing the Marselllaise a bit...cheesy???
By today's standards, perhaps, but I think one of the requirements for watching films that are 50+ years old is attempting to put yourself in that time period at least a little bit. People liked a rousing refrain back then.. I don;t know, I like that part, but I like the whole thing, and might be biased.

Originally Posted by Sedai
By today's standards, perhaps, but I think one of the requirements for watching films that are 50+ years old is attempting to put yourself in that time period at least a little bit. People liked a rousing refrain back then.. I don;t know, I like that part, but I like the whole thing, and might be biased.
I just never liked it nearly as much as Brief Encounter, yet most people seem to rate Casablanca more.

[quote=Holden Pike]Oh, I guess you hadn't caught wind of this "criticism". It's from the Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh types. They don't want to denounce the movie outright for the homosexual content, so they get sidetracked in this weird, overzealous semantic point that they aren't herding cattle that first summer on Brokeback when they fall in love and first have sex. Nope, it's true: they are tending to sheep.QUOTE]

I was actually refering to a funny quote from an old-school cowboy who, when asked if he was offended at the thought of gay cowboys, replied that he was more offended that they were calling sheepherders cowboys.

I just never liked it nearly as much as Brief Encounter, yet most people seem to rate Casablanca more.
Hmm. I haven't seen A Brief Encounter. I will add it to the queue now, and give it a go!

Put me in your pocket...
I loved both Brief Encounter and Casablanca. They are both excellent films...but I can definately see why Casablanca is on the tips of peoples tongues where Brief Encounter isn't. They both had great stories and writing...but I think Casablanca has the edge with memorable characters, it's visually more stunning...and I hate to sound sexiest (please don't kill me)...but I also think that because of the cast and the story, it easily appeals to both men and women more than Brief Encounter. I can get my husband to sit through Casablanca, but not Brief Encounter. It didn't interest him. As much as I loved Brief Encounter, I think the quieter movies with quieter characters aren't as remembered maybe? It's hard to compete with Bogart, a cast like Casablanca's that also has such memorable lines. Even if you don't like the movie...you still recognize it. Just my opinion though.

So...ummm...I guess this is leading to...I disagree with your opinion of Casablanca being over-rated.

Welcome to the human race...
Okay, I'm a little bored - here's my top ten overrated. I'll post my ten best later.

IRODUDE'S TOP 10 OVERRATED

10. The Godfather
I watched this for the first time in a while yesterday and while it was a little better than the first time I saw it, it just doesn't strike me as the timeless classic people make it out to be. Maybe it's because I read the book first and thus have my own preconceptions. Regardless, this is too hyped.

9. Dazed and Confused
Pfft, it's the last day of school and a bunch of teenagers get drunk to the sound of pop music. If I wanted to see that, I'd go to Schoolies.

8. Heat
I was expecting so much from the fact that two screen legends - Pacino and DeNiro - were going to finally have a showdown that I didn't realise the film was blown out to almost three hours long with all sorts of subplots trying to support the main premise. And DeNiro lost

7. Blade Runner
Everyone seems to see this movie as being the definitive postmodern science-fiction flick. I don't deny that, but as a film I don't find it so entertaining. Who's human? Who's not? What defines humanity? I debate all these without considering Blade Runner. As for the look of the film, it's certainly definitive, but for a great expansion upon the atmosphere, check out Akira. NeoTokyo > Los Angeles.

6. Traffic
Too concentrated on the idea of drug trade and the ups and downs it provides. Bad look, you didn't care about the characters at all (not even Rodriguez) and it's just overblown Hollywood drama with some oh-so-different style techniques. Faux-documentary is not cool.

5. Terminator 2
Strange - I'm always impressed by the first Terminator, which has stop-motion animation and very noticeable animatronics, but yet I see Terminator 2, with a massive budget and eye-boggling CGI, and I am extremely unimpressed. Why do people often hail this as the best Terminator? There's nothing about this film that the first didn't already do well enough. Blargh.

4. City of God
Supposedly a movie that's shocking, powerful, dramatic and overall entertaining. It sure as hell wasn't. Everybody was like "oh my God, the little boy is killing all the people in the motel" and I'm like "yeah, so what?" All the film's best shockers aren't shocking at all (with one spoiler-inducing exception). Powerful filmmaking? Perhaps, but not to me.

3. Fargo
I was expecting a comedy and this wasn't funny at all. The storyline was good, but to me the rest of the picture didn't work. Where the hell was the appeal in Marge Gunderson anyway? "Oh yar" is hardly funny compared to The Dude's use of the word "man".

2. Aliens
The most overrated action movie of all time. There's nothing great about it whatsoever. The action is sterile, the suspense relies on spring-loaded cats, there's no compassion for the characters and it's generally regarded as being such a rollercoaster ride of a movie. Yeah, if the rollercoaster is broken.

1. Ghostbusters
The most overrated movie ever. I watched this recently and didn't laugh at all. Peter Venkman is the biggest prick ever, I cannot understand how people can like him so much. The special effects aren't even laughably bad. The jokes fall flat. People might defend this movie but then again, these people probably haven't seen it for a while. If they did, they'd either a) find it's not funny and move on or b) still laugh at it because they are losers with no life. 7.5 on IMDB - ridiculous.

Well?

Well, I agree with some of those picks: T2 is not a patch on Terminator, The Godfather is good but overrated, Fargo the same, Traffic I didn't like (oh, you can use different colours for different places, how clever...)

BUT Aliens is good!!!

And if you aren't shocked by City of God, what the hell are you shocked by? I don't even want to see that movie...

Aliens is not good. Call it a difference in opinion - it's ridiculous. I'd rather play Halo.

And City of God is not as bad as you may think - try Battle Royale, now there's some heavy violence between kids.

Resistance Is Futile
Battle Royale 1 and 2 are excellent! Prefer the first one out of the two. One of those movies when you first watch it you go "holy sh*t, if I was there and hopefully had this weapon I would..."

I wouldn't want to be contemplating what would happen if I was in Battle Royale.

BR1 is a masterpiece, BR2 lacked the punch of the first because you knew what to expect (in a sense). It's pretty stupid when you think about it - send a group of schoolkids to murder a group of terrorists within 3 days or else they all die. Think about that.

By the way, welcome to Movieforums dude!

Resistance Is Futile
Thanks for the Welcome Buddy!

I know what you mean about the second one. I think they didn't expect it to be a success and thought "sh*t we better do a sequel, ideas, fast, NOW!" What I liked was the change in the main character (Shuya Nanahara) from a dark-haired geeky schoolboy into a cool looking, red/orange haired, cool attire wearing Warrior! What I think would have been a good idea was when the next set of kids had to take part in Battle Royale 2, Nanahara was living on the island unaware to anyone and he was watching over the kids like a stealthy ninja saving whoever he can from death.

Saying that it was a good flick, if you watch the first one, you probably should watch the second too.

I never got around to finishing the 2nd one actually, been a little busy and all. It just fell a little flat in comparison to the first.

Regardless, both are seriously more shocking than City of God.

Kill Bill most certainly deserves number one on that list, without a doubt. However, you forgot Revenge Of The Sith. When I saw the phantom menace, i was like "These movies are going to be awesome." And while they retained the good effects/big budget movie sucked, the story in each one got progressivly worse, and seemed to not tie in at all with the previous ones. The only upside was the almost total lack of a jar jar binks in the others. Lord Of The Rings, overrated. Good movie, but there are so many other fantasy novels that would have been much better. But hey, while we're on the subject, lets not forget "The Breakfast Club." I love 80's movies...but come on, how the hell did this movie get deemed good?

Originally Posted by Mad-Man
However, you forgot Revenge Of The Sith. When I saw the phantom menace, i was like "These movies are going to be awesome." And while they retained the good effects/big budget movie sucked, the story in each one got progressivly worse, and seemed to not tie in at all with the previous ones. The only upside was the almost total lack of a jar jar binks in the others. Lord Of The Rings, overrated. Good movie, but there are so many other fantasy novels that would have been much better. But hey, while we're on the subject, lets not forget "The Breakfast Club." I love 80's movies...but come on, how the hell did this movie get deemed good?
I'm with you on all three of those...

To add to overrated: anything directed by Stanley Kubrick. Perhaps this should go in the directors board, but all his films I have seen seem to me to be overrated. Not bad, but not brilliant.

Overrated? I'm more concerned about Under rated movies that have never really been given the credit they deserve.