POLL: Top Movie Stars List - Redux

Tools    

Do you want a second chance at the Movie Star list?
46.43%
13 votes
Yes, do the list again.
53.57%
15 votes
No, it's been done. We don't need to do it again.
28 votes. You may not vote on this poll

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This is a poll for the thread "What does everyone think of this idea?"

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=37979

Please vote Yes or No. If there are enough Yes votes, then we'll try a do-over of the Movie Stars list for anyone who's interested.

I'll leave this poll up for a week to give people time to decide. Feel free to add any comments to either this thread or the original thread.

I voted "no". Sexy's list was fine (the order would be pretty much the same if you did a redo) and it's not like this kind of list is anything official anyway. Only movies are featured in the list section, so I see no point in doing another slower, "more official" version of what we already have.

We have an animation list and a '60s list to look forward to. Let's focus on that.

I voted yes, but I still think leave it for a few months
^This^

However, I agree with Cob that I don't think the results would be too different and I'm not sure if it's worth your time. I don't know how much activity the thread would get at a slower rate.

I don't mind waiting, but I'm not sure why everyone seems to think that the results would be the same.

I just looked at the list for the animation countdown, and there are almost 60 people who submitted lists for that countdown, and it's still open for more submissions. Only about 35 people submitted lists for the movie star countdown, so in theory, there could be twice as many people submitting lists. Plus. people who submitted lists the first time could change their lists this time.

So in theory, there could (and should) be a difference in outcome of the list.

There might be a difference in the outcomes, but the number of list will (probably) affect the lower and mid order the most. The top 20 will be pretty much as is. That's not a reason not to do it but, as BL said, it might only be the difference between DiCaprio finishing 9th or 12th. Frankly, IMO, that doesn't matter.

As long as it's all done with a fun, rather than serious, frame of mind, it shouldn't/won't matter, though.

Idea!

Best Of The Best.

Pick your top 25 favourite actors... and your favourite film they did at the same time...

It'd take some major sorting out though. If say, Brad Pitt, ended up in two places in the Top 100, say 90th with Seven Years In Tibet and also in say 25th place with Se7en, only his highest rated of the two could make it.

That way an actor can only appear once in the countdown... however an actual film could possibly turn up more than once. Brad Pitt in 25th place with Se7en and Morgan Freeman in say, 10th, also with Se7en.

Idea!

Best Of The Best.

Pick your top 25 favourite actors... and your favourite film they did at the same time...

It'd take some major sorting out though. If say, Brad Pitt, ended up in two places in the Top 100, say 90th with Seven Years In Tibet and also in say 25th place with Se7en, only his highest rated of the two could make it.

That way an actor can only appear once in the countdown... however an actual film could possibly turn up more than once. Brad Pitt in 25th place with Se7en and Morgan Freeman in say, 10th, also with Se7en.

This sounds like an interesting idea, but it may be a bit too confusing of a task for me to take on, especially with my first list. (I'm not even sure I could figure out my own Top 25 for a list like that, let alone calculating the results for 50-60 lists.)

If you (or anyone else) want to take on that task, that would be okay with me. This isn't about me running the list either. If someone else wants to do it, I would be happy to step aside and let someone else run with this.

No... your favourite actor... and your favourite film they did.

25 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
24 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
23 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
22 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
21 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
20 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
19 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
18 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
17 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
16 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
15 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
14 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
13 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
12 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
11 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
10 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
09 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
08 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
07 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
06 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
05 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
04 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
03 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
02 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title
01 - Actor's Name - Movie's Title

Technically, you can vote for the same film more than once...

... you could say for instance, Morgan Freeman is one of your fave actors and Se7en is your favourite film of his... Brad Pitt is a fave actor and Se7en was your fave film of his, too.

@Rodent:

You're basically saying "Top Favorite Movie Characters", right?

I think it would be a bit more specific than that. For example, if someone chooses The Hulk for their list, would it be Eric Bana's Hulk or Edward Norton's Hulk or Mark Ruffalo's Hulk?

You could just as well do a top 100 favorite movie characters then. It's more tangible and interesting than just listing an actor and his favorite film of yours, in my opinion.

I think it would be a bit more specific than that. For example, if someone chooses The Hulk for their list, would it be Eric Bana's Hulk or Edward Norton's Hulk or Mark Ruffalo's Hulk?
Well, if I would host a Top 100 Favorite Movie Characters list, I would ask to list the character and the particular film or film series they're featured in, so there would be a distinction between cases like that.

With movie characters though, Brad Pitt for instance could show up more than once.

With my idea, Brad Pitt can only show up in the finalised 100/50/25 once. It'd be a Top 100/50/25 Favourite Actors List... but basing it on which film of theirs is most voted for.

Well, if I would host a Top 100 Favorite Movie Characters list, I would ask to list the character and the particular film or film series they're featured in, so there would be a distinction between cases like that.

Do you want to host a Top 100 Favorite Movie Characters list?

Do you want to host a Top 100 Favorite Movie Characters list?
No. I think we should wait until (at least) the Top 100 Animated Films List is finished and then perhaps someone (not me) could host that list (or another one), while we're waiting for the '60s list to start.

Let's just be patient now and have fun with the new official list that's starting in a few days.

With movie characters though, Brad Pitt for instance could show up more than once.

With my idea, Brad Pitt can only show up in the finalised 100/50/25 once. It'd be a Top 100/50/25 Favourite Actors List... but basing it on which film of theirs is most voted for.

I've been thinking about this and it's much more strategy oriented than I initially realized. When making your list, you would have to figure out which of your favorite stars' performances would be most likely to make the list, even if it's not your favorite performance of theirs.

For example, if five people all vote for Cary Grant, but each pick a different movie, he could potentially not even make the top 100 list.