3. The Hidden Fortress Akira Kurosawa
4. The Big Country William Wyler
5. A Night to Remember Roy Ward Baker
6. Run Silent, Run Deep Robert Wise
7. Touch of Evil Orson Welles
8. The Bravados Henry King
9. Elevator to the Gallows Louis Malle
10. King Creole Michael Curtiz

I agree, Vertigo was my clear favorite, although Touch of Evil has very high honorable mention.

Best sci-fi? The Blob

Best special effects? The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad

In no particular order:
The Big Country
A Night to Remember
Ice Cold in Alex
Some Came Running
The Bravados
Home Before Dark
Bell Book and Candle
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Party Girl
The Long, Hot Summer
Room at the Top
God's Little Acre
South Pacific
Run Silent Run Deep
Attack of the Puppet People

1. Touch of Evil
  2. I Married a Monster From Outer Space
  3. Elevator to the Gallows
  4. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
  5. Vertigo
  6. The Old Man and the Sea
  7. Hidden Fortress
  8. The Magician
  9. Teachers Pet
  10. A Night to Remember

Every single film that has been mentioned is a better film than the one that won the Best Picture Oscar that year. Uggh.

Every single film that has been mentioned is a better film than the one that won the Best Picture Oscar that year. Uggh.

Gigi wasn't that bad but most of the winners and nominees that year were huge misses.

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't like Vertigo. The first act is full of painfully slow scenes of people driving, with no real stakes. The second act picks up, but then they kill half the suspense by having a character reveal the 'twist' to the audience, before the hero figures it out for themselves. Also, every scene with his admirer, with the glasses, is extremely cringey.

It has a great middle and a fantastic final 10 minutes, but nothing else works for me.

The best movie of the year, in my opinion, is Touch of Evil. Brilliantly shot, a suspenseful and intelligent plot, and an extremely memorable villain that is both repugnant and relatable.

Hidden Fortress and Horror of Dracula are also extremely good.

I agree. And even of the 5 nominees I'd only include Separate Tables as worthy. I will say that Cat on a Hot Tin Roof was very well received, and a good picture. It was quite eye opening when it came out.

The late '50s was a time when some in Hollywood were pushing the boundaries, whereas the traditional crowd was still putting out pretty safe stories.