Favorite Movies of 1996?

Tools    

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
Only film from memory from that year was Star Trek: First Contact.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

1. Fargo
2. Trainspotting
3. Lone Star
4. Pusher
5. Kids Return
6. Breaking the Waves
7. Crash
8. Hard Eight
9. Waiting for Guffman
10. Hamlet

Honorable Mentions: Basquiat, Kingpin, Mission: Impossible, The Rock, Scream

It was a pretty good year for movies if you ask me. Not so much for Hollywood, but it was strong for indie and foreign cinema.
I totally forgot about Big Night, Sling Blade and the first Paradise Lost documentary. C'mon, me from three years ago, get it together!

No. But I admire the chutzpah of that answer.

Scream

Muppet Treasure Island

You win! You have both correct answers. 🏆

That's some bad hat, Harry.
An interesting year for films.

Looking at what came out that year I'm immediately drawn to Fargo, Sling Blade, Trainspotting, and Hard Eight.

Other favourites would include Waiting for Guffman, Scream, Swingers, Twister, Broken Arrow, Jerry Maguire, Tin Cup, Primal Fear, A Time to Kill, Sleepers, The Frighteners, Kingpin (my fav Farrelly bros movie), and Ransom.

I have a soft spot for 1990s thrillers, particularly Extreme Measures. Hugh Grant should have done more like this! I put it in my top 10 1990s forgotten thrillers list which tried to put the spotlight on those films that haven't had as much attention in the years since.

Oh, and there's THREE guilty pleasure comedies: Sgt. Bilko, Black Sheep (with the brilliant Chris Farley), and Celtic Pride.

Good list. I really need to re-watch; Bad Influence, Raising Cain and Extreme Measures. Since you like; One False Move and Deep Cover don't forget to send in your favorite Neo-noirs for the upcoming Neo-noir Countdown.

Favorites include The English Patient, Fargo, Mars Attacks, Crash and Trainspotting, but the one I've watched the most is something the world doesn't have enough of, weather movies, and that one is Twister.

Having been way too close to a couple of them, like a couple hundred feet from one and INSIDE another (fortunately minimal), I appreciated the chance to get up close and let someone else do the running and screaming, while I finish my beer.

Good year. Without giving it much thought...

1. Fargo
2. Scream
3. Hard Eight
4. Mission: Impossible
5. The Rock
6. Primal Fear
7. Ransom
8. Bound
9. Mars Attacks!
10. Executive Decision

Victim of The Night
Just perusing the list of all American films made that year I am reminded why I personally feel, for me, that the 90s were a dark, dark period for cinema. I saw a lot of these movies and not only are almost none of them worth even a revisit for me, many of them I think of as bad and specifically what can be bad about American cinema.
So, I'll sidestep the few obviously good films of that year and submit The Craft, Scream, That Thing You Do, and Lone Star as movies that I actually enjoy revisiting.
I'll have to check on the non-American releases later.

The trick is not minding
I’m one of those odd people who thinks Fargo is among the Coen’s weaker films. I’ve watched it about 4 times by now every handful of years, and I still get into it.

The trick is not minding
The only bad thing about Fargo is it overshadows Barton Fink.
Another film of theirs I found ok. I don’t know. I prefer Miller’s Crossing and Blood Simple by a greater margin over them.

1. Hamlet (Kenneth Branagh)
2. Lone Star (John Sayles)
3. Breaking the Waves (Lars Von Trier)
4. Fargo (Joel & Ethan Coen)
5. Sling Blade (Billy Bob Thorton)
6. That Thing You Do! (Thomas Hanks)
7. Schizopolis (Steven Soderbergh)
8. Trainspotting (Danny Boyle)
9. Big Night (Campbell Scott & Stanley Tucci)
10. Welcome to the Dollhouse (Todd Solondz)
11. Mother Night (Keith Gordon)
12. Fly Away Home (Carroll Ballard)
13. Waiting for Guffman (Christopher Guest)
14. Secrets & Lies (Mike Leigh)
15. Gray's Anatomy (Steven Soderbergh)
16. Mother (Albert Brooks)
17. Box of Moonlight (Tom DiCillo)
18. White Squall (Ridley Scott)
19. Flirting with Disaster (David O. Russell)
20. Normal Life (John McNaughton)

HONORABLE MENTIONS: The Celluloid Closet (Rob Epstein & Jeffrey Friedman), Bottle Rocket (Wes Anderson), Walking and Talking (Nicole Holofcener), The Young Poisoner's Handbook (Benjamin Ross), Freeway (Matthew Bright), Ransom (Ron Howard), I Shot Andy Warhol (Mary Harron), Beautiful Girls (Ted Demme), The Crucible (Nicholas Hytner), Emma (Douglas McGrath), Butterfly Kiss (Michael Winterbottom), Courage Under Fire (Ed Zwick), Kansas City (Robert Altman), Tin Cup (Ron Shelton), and Grace of My Heart (Alison Anders)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Deadman is another that is ok.
Man, what’s wrong with me? Lol
Nothing. I can't speak for Dead Man since I haven't seen it, but Jarmusch is a pretty love it or hate it director. Fargo is also more love it or hate it than you would think. I've heard more than one account of people disliking it for being unfunny and/or that they find the accents and Minnesota niceness annoying. I think it's very funny and consider the latter more feature than bug, but that's just me.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
I love Twister but it's overshadowed by the awesomeness of From Dusk Till Dawn.

Also this:

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

THAT THING YOU DO! 1996 Tom Hanks

1h 48m | Romance | Music | Drama | Comedy
Writers: Tom Hanks
Cast: Tom Hanks, Tom Everett Scott, Liv Tyler, Johnathon Schaech, Steve Zahn, Ethan Embry, Bill Cobbs, Charlize Theron

Fun, infectious, feel good movie with great music and a wonderful cast. Impressive directing debut by Tom Hanks!

From mark_f and @Holden Pike favs list. That was a great watch, thanks.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Kolya
Everyone Says I Love You
Shine
Mary Reilly
The Crucible
Fargo
Trainspotting
The Fan
The Cable Guy
Hard Eight
Marvin's Room
The English Patient
Stealing Beauty
The Portrait of a Lady

Fargo!

Not terribly good, but still ones we rewatch now and then: Twister (No. 2 box office), That Thing You Do (Tom Hanks directing)
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.