Shakespeare in Film

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Actually, no that isn't the way. Forbidden Planet is not adapted from Othello, it's loosely re-worked from The Tempest.

How I mixed that up with the Tempest I don't know. I was thinking of a play with Prospero in it, about a ship and a story...I don't recall ever being exposed to Othello...

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I've never seen Pocahontas and never will…
Good call. I have kids so anything Disney is like a must watch for them. They don't want to be left out of the loop at the drinking fountain.

My favorite Shakespeare-themed movies are:
Shakespeare in Love
Romeo and Juliet (the Zeffirelli one)
Henery 5 (Kenneth)
Hamlet (Mel Gibson)
Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth)

This fall I got back into my Shakespeare kick. Going to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival really helped form my opinions as far as shakespeare on stage goes, but as for film, not so much. Romeo and Juliet opens at my high school Thursday and as a treat for my friends who are in it I was going to have them over and watch their favorite version next Friday; it's the Baz Lurmham version, which I haven't seen yet. I saw the 1968 version which I quite liked so I am looking forward to see how they compare.

I recently watched Roman Polanski's Macbeth in class. I enjoyed it, although I am not so sure I can speak up for my class mates. I particulary liked the first weird sisters scene on the beach. When I covered Julius Ceaser last year in English we watched the Marlon Brando version. At first I was a bit hesitant, mostly because Julius Ceaser is not my favorite Shakespearean thing to read or watch for that matter. I did feel that the supernatural and chain of being theme was magnificently conveyed. I also did A Midsummer Night's Dream last year, as well as Romeo and Juliet (My old english tecaher was a Shakespeare nut). While doing MSND we watched several scenes from different versions, so while I've seen most of the versions, it hasn't been in one sitting. I did watch the play-within-a-play scene in the Royal Shakespeare Company's verion of MSND and was intrigued by the style.

I am hoping to go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival again next year, hopefully at least. Macbeth is the last Shakespeare I'll be covering in school for a while Since AP Comp doesn't cover Shakespeare, so I am going to have to wait until AP Lit when we do Hamlet.

Off film topic- Has anybody seen the stage parody The Complete Works of Shakespeare: Abridged? It's hysterical. I laughed the full 90 minutes, and yes, even during the intermission.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Caitlyn~ That is very interesting. I guess anything's possible... I've heard the theory that he was a group of writers, too. I guess we need that time machine if we're ever to really know.

I've heard that one too… and another theory that he was possessed by a ghost… so, a time machine would definitely be in order… and maybe a Ghostbuster or two too…

Originally Posted by 2wrongs
Good call. I have kids so anything Disney is like a must watch for them. They don't want to be left out of the loop at the drinking fountain.

I can understand that… and I'm sure if I had kids, they would want to see it too... I just wish Disney had made a movie about a fictitious person instead of turning an historical person into a fictitious cartoon character… but then again, history wasn't much better... the word 'Pocahontas' means "spoiled" or "naughty"… no Powhatan parent would have named a child that anymore then an English one would name their child "brat"…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I can understand that… and I'm sure if I had kids, they would want to see it too... I just wish Disney had made a movie about a fictitious person instead of turning an historical person into a fictitious cartoon character… but then again, history wasn't much better... the word 'Pocahontas' means "spoiled" or "naughty"… no Powhatan parent would have named a child that anymore then an English one would name their child "brat"…
Interesting.
Reminds me of another horrid Disney movie I had to sit through...Eloise. Man, it was awful! The child in the books is rotten but the child in the movie was just a beast no one could love.

I can't stand movies about ghastly children that think they're smarter than all the adults.

"I can't help it..."
I did quite enjoy the film O, obviously based upon Othello. I like the fact that friends of mine hate Shakespeare, yet love this film... I don't wanna tell them; it might ruin it for them!
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

I love this one

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Originally Posted by liam5000
I did quite enjoy the film O, obviously based upon Othello. I like the fact that friends of mine hate Shakespeare, yet love this film... I don't wanna tell them; it might ruin it for them!
I really quite enjoyed this as well, but i can't help but enjoy Julia Stiles' movies. I thought Josh Hartnett was really good too as Hugo the overlooked basketball player, i thought it was quite a different role for him and he played it beautifully.

You know,
I don't always admit to people that I enjoyed that movie. I'm a sucker for movies set in highschool.

(I even liked Bring it On---don't tell)

I won't tell if you say that you hated the sequel to Bring it On.

yeah, don't bother with it. It stinks.

"I can't help it..."
To me Mekhi Phifer is the deffinite standout in it, I really loved his performance

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've been on a bit of a Bardathon these last few days - Branagh's Henry V and Pacino's doc Looking For Richard.

Kenny's Hamlet is next (which I saw him do at the RSC many moons ago).

Movie Forums Member
my personal favorite movie was

ROMEO+JULIET
the one starring Leonardo and Kate Winslet

Originally Posted by fireyhope
my personal favorite movie was

ROMEO+JULIET
the one starring Leonardo and Kate Winslet
Oh really if it was one of your favorites then you would know that it is Claire Danes and not Kate with Leonardo.

Originally Posted by nebbit

Thanks Nebbs... the only thing I remember seeing Jason in was Robin of Sherwood...

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I've been on a bit of a Bardathon these last few days - Branagh's Henry V and Pacino's doc Looking For Richard.

Henry V rocks... I started to watch it last night but had company... maybe tonight...