What's wrong with the horror genre?

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by PrometheusFG
The movies you just listed are amazing to today's standards, which are crap. None of the movies you listed can be compared to The Godfather, Casablanca, On the Waterfront, Sunset Boulevard, or Psycho.
Welp, we're just gonna have to be inflexible here, because I'll personally take Blade Runner over The Godfather, or Eyes Wide Shut over Psycho any day of the week.

That isn't to say the films you're listing are bad films, but if we're trying to rank things here, that's just my preference...

I love Blade Runner, and honestly, there are better movies out there but I would probaly rahter watch Blade Runner instead. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the films you listed are bad either...

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by PrometheusFG
Of course, critics are some of the most sinful, greedy, corrupted people on earth. BUT nevertheless, it is in plain view and blatant that film is nowhere near as good as it once was.

The trend of film has changed dramtically. I'm just gonna say it now; movies suck these days! Compare the amount of great films from yesterday to the amount of great films today! The industry today has a damn hard time producing something as good as The Godfather, Sunset Boulevard, Some Like It Hot, Best Years of Our Lives, Psycho, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, On the Waterfront, or North By Northwest.

C'mon! It's right there for you. I can't think of more than around 5 movies from the 80s or 90s that can be compared to the ones I listed. Now We have to find excuses for great films and our standards have lowered drastically.

The films you have listed are nine of the most recognized, most heralded films ever made. It's a tall order, but I don't think film is as dead as you say it is. Consider the following films from the 80s and beyond:

Unforgiven, Raging Bull, Eyes Wide Shut, Blade Runner, Miller's Crossing, Goodfellas, The Player, The Thin Red Line, Short Cuts, Cidade De Deus, Mulholland Drive, Raiders of the Lost Ark, LA Confidential....

The above films weren't as groundbreaking as the films you listed, but the medium has been around much longer now, so breakthroughs in technique and style will be less frequent these days. The above films represent what I love about film at least as much as the classics you mentioned. They are as indelible as stuff like Rear Window, Vertigo, The Godfather, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and other classics I love.

That said... The 40-70s is my favorite era for film, so I sort of agree to a point that that era holds a lot of the best cinema ever created. Still, I love many films from the 80s, 90s and this decade, as well.... The medium is far from dead, and I am off to watch a film.

I don't know what people see in Schindler's List as a film, it is, to my mind, the supreme example of modern cinematic propaganda and little else.

Wow, this has been quite a heated discussion. It all comes down to this. Times and people change, with that so does film. While it is true that there is much more crap being released every weekend, there is also a great amount of very high quality work out there. You just have to keep your eyes open. Personally, I feel that the best work right now is the stuff that only gets a limited release. So far this year movies like Thank You For Smoking and Hard Candy have come along and are fresh and stylish and really powerful in their own way. Last year, noir films had great success with Sin City and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Films like Crash, Capote, Munich, A History of Violence, and wonderful biopics like Ray, Walk the Line, Man on the Moon, The People vs. Larry Flynt, Capote. Comedies like Anchorman, Wedding Crashers, The American Pie Trilogy, The Austin Powers films. These are just a handful of the movies that have captivated me over the last few years, some of them as much as the classics of yesteryear that have been mentioned in this thread. Film is as alive now as it was then, it is just in hiding and it is left up to us to discover it. As long as there are writers, directors, and people with passion and vision who want to make films out there, we will continue to see quality work produced, and these are the people who recognize the true roots of what they do and want to preserve it. As long as they exist, the spirit will remain alive.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Blair Witch Project is not as original as you claim it to be. I'm talking about the film itself, not it's marketing campaign, which was brilliant and truly original.

What's destroying the horror genre? Remakes. Plain and Simple.

Let's take a look at what the horror genre has offered us over the past few years and years to come.

The Ring (Remake)
The Grudge (Remake)
TCM (Remake)
Hills Have Eyes (Remake)
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
The Omen (Remake)
When A Stranger Calls (Remake)
ETC
ETC

Suspect's Reviews

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Let's take a look at what the horror genre has offered us over the past few years and years to come.

The Ring (Remake)
The Grudge (Remake)
TCM (Remake)
Hills Have Eyes (Remake)
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
The Omen (Remake)
When A Stranger Calls (Remake)
Originally Posted by OG-
The last 10 years:

1995 - Se7en, In The Mouth of Madness, The Prophecy
1996 - Scream, The Frighteners, From Dusk Til Dawn
1997 - Event Horizon, The Devil's Advocate
1998 - Cube, Blade, Ringu
1999 - The Blair Witch Project, The Sixth Sense, Stir of Echoes, Idle Hands
2000 - American Psycho, Audition, The Cell, Final Destination
2001 - Ginger Snaps, Session 9, The Devil's Backbone
2002 - Frailty, Dog Soldiers, The Ring, One Hour Photo, The Eye
2003 - 28 Days Later, Dead End, May, Cabin Fever, House of 1000 Corpses, Bubba Ho-Tep
2004 - Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Ordeal, Shutter, Dumplings, Saw
2005 - The Devil's Rejects, Land of the Dead, Saw 2, The Descent, The Exorcism of Emily Rose
2006 - The Hills Have Eyes, Slither, Hard Candy, Hostel, Silent Hill
Seriously, am I typing in invisible ink or something? How can you possibly say remakes are killing the genre, when just from that small sampling above, the actual number of remakes are tiny drops in the bucket?

couldn't tell you cuase I probably haven't watched a horror film in over a year.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Wow, funny how you forget to mention some films in those years.

I wasn't talking about the last TEN years. Try 2 or 3.

Finally, why the hell is The Devil's Advocate in there? That is not horror. As well as Hard Candy.