Steve Martin appreciation thread

Tools    

I am the Nightrider!
Well, even though it pains me to say it, that was a great write up, Holden. I glanced because I've been a huge Steve Martin fan since childhood in the late 70s. I think that Steve should have also had a few Oscar nominations under his belt by now, primarily in these films:

Best Actor: All of Me
Best Supporting Actor: Little Shop of Horrors
Best Actor: Roxanne
Best Supporting Actor: Grand Canyon

I am glad that he put out Bowfinger and Shopgirl in the midst of his retarded slew of films over the past decade+, it shows that he's still a worthy talent to be reckoned with.

Oh, and you forgot his cameo in Movers and Shakers. Maybe for reason.

-UJ

(1987) Roxeanne-

(1987) Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

(1988) Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
+
(1989) Parenthood- can't give objective rating, hardly remember it
(1991) Father of the Bride-
-
(1995) Father of the Bride Part II-

(1998) Prince of Egypt

(2003) Cheaper by the Dozen

(2005) Cheaper by the Dozen 2

(2006) The Pink Panther
+
(2008) Baby Mama

(2009) The Pink Panther 2

I think all round he's a talented actor, who's had a lot of great moments in comedy history. I hope his movies will forever be loved and cherished, and currently I really want to see one

He was fantastic in The Jerk, Roxanne, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, All Of Me, Father Of The Bride, Cheaper By The Dozen, Parenthood, Planes Trains and Automobiles, and ,one of my personal favorites, The Lonely Guy.

I liked him in Bringing Down The House, too.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I've been a fan ever since I saw The Jerk (that film made me and my older brother laugh like a pair of idiots), and I've enjoyed most of his subsequent films. For whatever reason, his performance in Little Shop of Horrors really stands out for me. The rest of the cast is playing the film in earnest, while here's Steve Martin giving his all in a loud, crass, tasteless, blackly hilarious performance that's positively dripping with irony. It's like he flew in from a much darker film. I was impressed by his commitment to being as just plain nasty as he could.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

(1987) Roxeanne-

(1987) Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

(1988) Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

(1989) Parenthood

(1991) Father of the Bride

(1995) Father of the Bride Part II

(2003) Cheaper by the Dozen

(2006) The Pink Panther

Steve Martin has carved out an impressive renaissance of a career out of his humble beginnings as a stand-up comic. His initial years as a stand-up and frequent host of SNL didn't even hint at the resume he would develop as an actor and writer. Martin was very funny in THE JERK and THE LONELY GUY and though he could have made a career out of doing clones of those movies, he took risks with things that paid off (like GRAND CANYON) and things that didn't (like PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, a huge flop containing one of his most affecting performances). Martin always had the ability to produce laughs, but he could generate characters of substance that were warm and engaging, like CD Bales in ROXANNE. I think Martin should have received Lead Actor Oscar nominations for ALL OF ME, ROXANNE, and SHOPGIRL and should have received a supporting Actor nomination for GRAND CANYON. But I still like to believe that there is still an Oscar in his future.

I haven't watched that many of his movies because I really don't watch many family/kid's comedies. But I've always really liked him.

My favorites of his-

1) The Spanish Prisoner
2) The Jerk
3) Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
4) Roxanne
5) Bowfinger

but now you have my attention
Loved Planes,trains..., Man with 2 Brains, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, But the scene in the court room in ALL OF ME cracked me up.

"I haven't had a case with this many clues since I solved the case of the Woman with the Big ****."
It's "I hadn't seen a body put together like that since..." Otherwise the joke makes no sense!

And yeah, great line.

He was very funny in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS but I don't think it was Oscar worthy, but I agree that the other three performances you mentioned should have garnered him nominations. I also nominate him for SHOPGIRL.

Great thread! My all time
1. The Jerk
2. Dead men don't wear plaid
3. Roxanne
4.Dirty rotten Scoundrels
5. Planes, trains, and automobiles

Haven't updated this one in a while, either.

In the past five or six years, Steve hasn't done much, cinematically speaking. He was in Nancy Meyers' pleasant if disposable It's Complicated with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin, and his only other credit of late is in the lifeless The Big Year with Jack Black and Owen Wilson, which despite being adapted from a pretty amusing and quirky book was instantly forgettable as a movie. Steve had nothing to do with those scripts, he was only an actor for hire.

And though he hasn't been making many movies, he has been all kinds of busy.

He has written two more books, one a novel called An Object of Beauty which expresses some of his love of painting, and a fun alphabet book ostensibly for kids where he paired up with cartoonist Roz Chast. But mostly what he's been doing is playing the banjo, including teaming with the Bluegrass group The Steep Canyon Rangers and, most recently, Edie Brickell (who in addition to being a one hit wonder from the late 1980s is also the wife of Steve's longtime friend Paul Simon).

Oh, and he discovered Twitter a couple years back. Joyously.

I still hope he has a couple more movie projects in him that he will write and star in.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	banjo.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	15703  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra