2009 Portland International Film Festival

Tools    

I'm glad you liked The chaser, it's my favorite Asian film from last year. And I agree with you about Il Divo, I just watched it the other day, very confusing and hard to follow. I'm guessing it wasn't really meant for international audiences. Shame really, I expected more considering it won the Jury prize at Cannes...:\

I'm glad you liked The chaser, it's my favorite Asian film from last year. And I agree with you about Il Divo, I just watched it the other day, very confusing and hard to follow. I'm guessing it wasn't really meant for international audiences. Shame really, I expected more considering it won the Jury prize at Cannes...:\
Yeah The Chaser was insane. I'll definitely be scooping that one up on DVD eventually, even if it's an Asian or European disc. And Il Divo had so much potential but was just incomprehensible too much of the time.

When I was Googling for pics of The Chaser for my review I came across a few pieces that said it's a property that may get an American re-make, with Leo DiCaprio and screenwriter William Monahan attached. It was Monahan who adapted and Americanized the Hong Kong flick Infernal Affairs into The Departed for Scorsese and DiCaprio. It's not even in the pre-production stage or anything, just an idea, but I can't imagine The Chaser making the transition particularly well. And I don't know if Leo is interested in playing the cop-turned-pimp or, more interestingly perhaps, the killer. Either way, I hope they just leave it alone.

Well, today is the first weekend of the Festival, so now my total can really start adding up. In the next two days I'm planning on seeing six feature films and two of the shorts programs with twenty-one mini-movies anywhere from three to twenty-three minutes long each.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

SHORTS PROGRAM ONE
  • Forty Men for the Yukon
    Tony Massil, Canada
    Twenty-minute documentary interviewing two old men, English-born Gordie and German-born Frank, who still live in the almost-all-but-abandoned area around one of the once gigantic gold and silver mines in the Yukon region of northwestern-most Canada. They came with the boom many decades ago when they were still young men and now stubbornly remain among rotting ghost towns, camps and mineshafts. They are both grizzled but not bitter and tell stories with the cynicism and humor earned by a lifetime of unique experience.
    GRADE: B
  • Portrait of a Woman
    Margot Quan Knight, USA
    Perfectly done montage of a woman's face from birth to age sixty, 1947-2007, where the eyes of the rushing pics never seem to move or change. Only two minutes long, but breathtaking.
    GRADE: B+
  • Procrastination
    Johnny Kelly, Great Britain
    Funny and clever animated short where colorful images fold into one another as a voice-over lists the many mundane activities, chores, habits and hobbies one can occupy themselves with instead of getting your actual "work" done. The film probably lists close to fifty things in four minutes and each viewer is sure to identify with at least half of them while being amused by all.
  • Toyland - Spielzeugland
    Jochen Alexander Freydank, Germany
    Set in World War II Germany, a young boy attached to his neighbors takes it to heart when his mother, in an attempt to protect her boy from the horrors of the Holocaust as well as probably a dose of self-denial, tells him not that the Jewish people he knows and loves are being taken to a Concentration Camp from which they will probably never return but instead going to "Toyland". Of course he takes this literally, not as the poor euphemism it is, and when they are taken early one morning he runs away to join them. Perfect ending that is clever and powerful, and emotional impact in only fourteen minutes.
    GRADE: A
  • 6.5 Minutes in Tel Aviv
    Mirev Brantz, Israel
    Quick portrait of a young woman on a bus who goes from smiling and carefree to shaking with fear in a few short minutes due to generations of terror and paranoia leading to profiling and suspicion that underlines the kind of entrenched feelings that make peace in that region of the world seem impossibly distant.
  • The Wednesdays
    Conor Ferguson, Ireland
    We meet an elderly couple who after nearly a hundred years on earth, most of them together, have turned to chemical enhancement to spice up at least one day of their weeks, after they accidentally get their hands on a large bag full of XTC. The smiling, silly euphoria that overwhelms them has brought a spark back to their lives, but what to do after the Police discover their stash and book them? I like shorts that are jokes, but this one doesn't have much of a punchline to build to and the poignancy is forced, so it plays like a hollow sitcom episode.
    GRADE: C+
  • On the Ice - Sikumi
    Andrew Okpeaha MacLean, USA
    Beautifully shot on a remote landscape, it's a quick morality play on the tundra when an Inuit man out for a hunt witnesses a murder and must decide the proper course of action, to either turn in one friend or help cover up the killing of another, with only one left to argue their case in person. Entirely in the Native Iñupiaq language.
    GRADE: B+
  • Friends Forever
    Marcel Fores, Great Britain
    Annoying and seemingly pro-suicide (at least by my read) piece about a boy returning to his High School after his best friend's death at his own hands. But he continues to see him, a sort of punk ghost who shadows his old pal, leading the living kid to eventually take his own life and join him. 'Kay. That this may well be how some teenagers in this grim circumstance feel I can easily grant. That this little movie has no perspective on it other than to show how cool it'll be and the smile on their faces I don't find irresponsible as much as it is amateurish and uninvolving, even as a twenty-three-minute short. And the clunky visual metaphor about the nectar of flowers is beyond pretentious. Ugh.
    GRADE: F
  • Manon On the Asphalt
    Elizabeth Marre & Oliver Pont, France
    In contrast to the completely ineffective Friends Forever, this one is a poetic and amusing glimpse at death. A young woman is hit by a car on her bicycle and as she lies immobile on the street and the onlookers rush to her aide she imagines how her neighbors, friends, family and boyfriend will get and process the news of her death, interspersed with memories of both some of her favorite simple moments and catalog of her "lasts": last cup of coffee, last laugh, last lovemaking, etc. In these calm and fleeting thoughts she finds peace, joy and comfort of her brief time on earth. No frenzy or fear, just the mundane and the sublime.
    GRADE: A-
Toyland and Manon On the Asphalt are two of the five Oscar nominees for Best Live Action Short. Haven't seen the other three (On the Line, New Boy and The Pig), but I can't imagine any of them besting the impact of Toyland.

The English Surgeon
Geoffrey Smith, Great Britain

Very effective documentary whose title doc is a London neurosurgeon named Henry Marsh. Fifteen years ago he took a trip to Ukraine when it was still a Communist State in the USSR. Once there he was shocked by the state of neuroscience, or rather the almost complete lack of it. Just in one visit he saw dozens and dozens of cases that in the Western world of medicine would be treatable and have outstanding chances for survival but in Ukraine went either misdiagnosed or undiagnosed, leading to ailments and deaths that seemed appallingly unnecessary. Rather than just get angry he began frequent trips to the country with supplies and knowledge hoping to change at least a few lives for the better, even if others in and out of medicine told him these efforts were a waste of time: metaphorical drops in an ocean. He also met a young Ukrainian doctor in Kiev on that initial trip, Igor Kurilets, who becomes his partner in bringing hope if not help to his people, despite almost constant resistance and disbelief from the Ukrainian system and relative ignorance of its people.

Doctor Marsh is contemplative and wise, confident yet humble, and determined without becoming pushy. We also meet a current patient, a young man from a rural community with an operable tumor that will kill him if not removed, as well as the mother of a young girl Marsh operated on years ago but could not save. Marsh looks like a bespectacled cherub with a voice like John Cleese. Watching him and his Igor play God, for good and for bad, it is a duty they do not take lightly nor does it overwhelm them or turn them into monsters. They do the best they can given the circumstance, and if nothing else they recognize the gift of hope they can give, even if it is a sort of false hope. We do see the operation on the young man's brain, and I must tell you I am not usually queasy with such things but found it difficult to watch. But it is an incredibly moving film, and you won't soon forget any of these people.

GRADE: A

Blind Sunflowers - Los Girasoles Ciegos
José Luis Cuerda, Spain

Franco-era parable about secrets and the limitations of faith. Maribel Verdú, who played the house servant with the knife in Pan's Labyrinth, stars as Elena. As the film opens her pregnant daughter is about to leave Spain for Portugal and hopefully America, escaping with her fiancé who is an idealistic poet condemned to death if caught for his anti-Franco writings. Elena's husband, Ricardo (Javier Cámara from Almodóvar's Talk to Her and many others), is already hiding in a secret room of their apartment, in exile for his writings and very thoughts. Trying to deal with all of this is their seven-year-old son Lorenzo (Roger Príncep of The Orphange). The real villain of the film, other than the oppressive system and Fascist regime is a young deacon, Salvador (Raúl Arévalo). Of course Salvador doesn't realize he's a villain, he's deluded. Sent off to war out of the seminary, the horrors and realities of battle have shaken Salvador's faith. But an older priest encourages him to give it time and places him in a school. Young Lorenzo is one of his students, and when he sees his beautiful mother and hears their cover story of Dad's death Salvador starts an obsession with Elena and Lorenzo. It quickly becomes a sexual obsession. While Elena feels this attention she misinterprets it as suspicion about her husband's disappearance, and likewise Salvador misreads Elena's uncomfortableness as sexual tension. This will only lead to tragedy.

I get what the movie is saying intellectually about hypocrisy and tyranny, but Arévalo's deacon is such a creepy ******* and the plot so artificially contrived that I couldn't accept enough of the characters as people rather than types or simply cogs in the dramatic wheels. This stripped the inevitable conclusion of any of its potential power for me. In the end when the still clueless deacon confesses his dark tale to the priest but still fails to see his pivotal role in the tragedy I needed him to be gutted or at least kicked in the nuts. I know of course this is the point, that the nationalistic feverishly hiding behind religion were crucially complicit in the power of Franco and of any other dictator, but there wasn't enough artistry here, only a construct to deliver the sermon.

GRADE: D+

Dunya and Desie
Dana Nechushtan, Netherlands

Cross-cultural coming of ager that is a follow-up to a 2002-2004 Dutch sitcom with the exact opposite of Larry David's dictum for "Seinfeld": lots of hugging, lots of learning. Dunya El-Beneni (Maryam Hassouni) and Desie Koppenol (Eva van de Wijdeven) are eighteen-year-old girls living in Amsterdam. They are best friends despite the fact that Dunya's family are Moroccan immigrants and practicing Muslims. They are Westernized, especially Dunya and her brother, but the family still clings to many of the ideals of their culture. Desie is not any kind of religion, she is a sexually liberated young woman who seems to be the exact opposite in temperament from the restrained Dunya. But they are best friends and have each other's best interest at heart. When Dunya's traditional grandparents arrive she begins to realize she is being set-up for an arranged marriage with a distant cousin back in Morocco. Desie has her own problems, namely that her promiscuity has led to a pregnancy. Her boyfriend-of-the-moment encourages her to get an abortion, and when she asks her similarly free-spirited Mom (Christine van Stralen) if she regrets having had Desie in a similar circumstance the answer causes her to sneak away and seek the father who abandoned them when she was an infant. As it so happens his last known address is also in Morocco. So Dunya and Desie wind up together in that strange land, much to the horror of Dunya's mother and father (Rachida Iaallala and Mahjoub Benmoussa).

I didn't know this was continued from a sitcom while I was watching it, but it didn't surprise me to learn it afterwards as it certainly feels like one. Overall it's a decent enough sitcom, as far as it goes, even though there won't be two turns in the plot infused with dramdey you don't see coming many minutes beforehand. True to the sitcom origins it wraps up far too neatly and I didn't ever feel like I was getting a glimpse at the "real" Holland or Morocco. But in spite of all of that Eva van de Wijdeven and especially Maryam Hassouni are very likable, and while this movie may be devoid of any reality the portrait of cross-cultural acceptance and the universality of friendship is a nice fantasy. That it comes from a country with such infamous and deadly examples of extreme intolerance between these two same cultures in recent years I suppose it is, in its own small way, even revolutionary. Revolutionary pop fantasy with a candy coating, but just the same.... Anyway, it's a better TV show-to-movie effort than Sex and the City.

Nice reviews Holds. What a monster post! Thanks.

What a monster post! Thanks.
Well, that was my Saturday viewing: it was a monster. Today will be similar, starting with a shorts program and then three features. I'm planning on seeing a Cambodian movie, a French and a Belgian, but one of the many nice things about having a festival pass is that I can change my mind at the last minute if something else strikes my fancy. I'm for sure ending with the Belgian flick, Eldorado, which I've been looking forward to.

Thanks for the kind word. Many, many more reviews coming. I'm only up to fifteen features and nine shorts. Depending on how many of the press screenings I get to during the day this coming week I'll be on track to be over fifty movies for the first time at the PIFF and three shorts programs.

I do miss sleeping, but really...I'll sleep in March.

You're a Genius all the time
These are very good reviews, HP

I was in Philadelphia yesterday to see a show and there was actually a place near said show that was screening I think all five live action short film Oscar nominees. We paid admission for the whole screening, but we left early because we were running late for stuff and whatnot, but I did manage to catch Manon on the Asphalt, The Pig and On the Line in their entirety. Totally agree with you about Manon - it's the most dreamily satisfying film I've seen in a good long time. Neurotic mess that I am, it made me wonder if I was just born into the wrong country. Because, I mean if all French people have that kind of bemused, irreverent perspective on life and death, jeez, that's where I wanna be, man.

A Cambodian film? I don't think I've ever seen a film from Cambodia, have you? I bet there isn't too many of them. I look forward to your review.
Since Pol Pot finally kicked it, yeah, there have been films coming out of Cambodia. Not a lot of 'em, they don't have a film "industry" or anything, but yeah.

SHORTS PROGRAM TWO
These are all made by Oregonians...
  • Nickel and Dimin' It with Buddy
    Thomas Soderberg, Portland, OR
    Brief look at one of Portland's many houseless residents who spend the bulk of each day looking for empty bottles and cans to return for their two to five cent deposits. Buddy laments that people who don't live on the streets may assume his days are free of the kinds of pressures and anxieties most of us fill our days with, but trying to scrounge up ten or fourteen dollars worth of recycling a day is a fulltime job with pressures of its own.
    GRADE: B-
  • Oscillating Fan
    Rob Tyler, Portland, OR
    Four minute ballet of a couple of ordinary electric fans against a white background set to music.
  • The Mixtress
    Peter Hermes, Portland, OR
    Mini profile of a young Portland woman who makes mix CDs of her favorite and usually unheralded artists, music she wants to share with the world...so she does, one CD at a time. She takes her mixes and leaves them in public places, and she has a handful of her "Ninjas" who likewise leave the mixes wherever in the world they travel. Yes, technically this is illegal and in theory she can be arrested and fined for these activities, but as she explains she would almost welcome it at this point as it would be the best publicity for her passion she could ever get.
  • Across the Sound
    Brian Libby, Portland, OR
    Quick montage of the ferry crossing from Seattle to Victoria set to the French electronica music of Colleen. Simple idea, but obviously shot on the cheapest of video by far less than professionals. Eh.
  • These Pancakes are Small
    Matthew Seely, Portland, OR
    Amusingly animated short that has some honest deadpan laughs as two roommates go out for breakfast and deliver "Seinfeld" like banter to one another, much of it centered around one of them having a size requirement for his flapjacks.
  • Water Paper Time
    Gretchen Hogue, Portland, OR
    Profile of a paper artist who makes her own paper as well as the creations that result, interspersed with some beautiful timelapse shots of the newly created paper drying into snowy relief maps of an imaginary tundra.
  • November Light
    Cheryl Lohrmann, Portland, OR
    Two minute cinematic poem with a voice over lamenting the inevitable change in seasons while a young woman rakes the inevitable leaves from her small backyard.
  • The Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
    Byrd McDonald, Portland, OR
    Twelve-minute narrative of a woman in a station wagon who may or may not have her two children in the backseat but most definitely is suffering from some sort of mental trauma. The movie is stylized from her unreliable and constantly shifting point of view, presumably schizophrenic, and leads to a harrowing conclusion. Simple enough idea, but I didn't think it was executed particularly well.
    GRADE: C
  • To Remember That Our Skies Are the Same Skies
    Chris Lael Larson, Portland, OR
    Exploding chaos of overlapping images and spoken words with some vague point of its title repeated over and over again that, frankly, I never felt in either an intellectual or visceral way.
    GRADE: C-
  • Little Pleasures
    Jamie Marie Waelchli, Portland, OR
    A seemingly endless experiment that moves quickly from amusing to tortuous as a young teenage girl in a fixed medium closeup and not accompanied by music and free of editing cuts unwraps and chews gum: piece after piece after piece after piece after piece of gum stuffed in there - I lost track after she got over sixty of them - until the spit-filled multi-colored wad in her mouth can no longer be contained and is causing a gag reflex with the girl (and the audience). More like a "Jackass" stunt.
    GRADE: D-
  • Dangerous Loop
    Brian Knowles, Eugene, OR
    Stop-motion paper art develops before the camera's eye. Oddly this is silent with no music or ambient sounds or anything.
  • Nous Deux Encore
    Heather Harlow, Portland, OR
    Sweet and honestly sentimental remembrance of a deceased husband by his wife (him Greek, her French), told through voice over and the many snapshots left behind of their time together, most of them shot by her love and his small automatic camera they took everywhere with them. An effective and gentle lament for and homage to a soul she will be connected to forever.

Paper Cannot Wrap Up Embers -
Le Papier ne Peut pas Envelopper la Braise

Rithy Panh, Cambodia

Documentary about the horrors a handful of the young prostitutes that work in and around Phnom Penh face. Well, it's kind of a documentary. Looking at the ravaged shells most of these girls have become I don't doubt that they have gone through the Hells they describe in the film, but there is an odd and, for me, offputting style where the girls aren't being interviewed in any obvious way so their stories of abuse and their perspectives and conclusions come during some of their everyday non-whoring activities. But many of these "conversations" between two or more of the girls are clearly "staged" as if they've been primed and directed beforehand, like they've been told something along the lines of, 'OK, comb her hair while telling the story about the American john who beat you and then the bit about the day the UN forced you back into the country...ready....GO'. I don't doubt the veracity of these young women or the abomination their ordeals and suffering, but the style of filmmaking essentially has them too often pretending as if the camera weren't sitting six feet away from them in an otherwise empty hovel, delivering monologues about their suffering almost as if they were in a narrative film - except their is no narrative. It's difficult to explain, but it consistently degraded the impact of these undoubtedly true and horrific testimonies.

This miscalculation in approach really surprised me as Rithy's previous film, S21: The Khmer Rouge Killing Machine (2004), was done in a more traditional documentary style and is very powerful. Compared to something as effective and moving as the Indian Born into Brothels from a couple years back, this project is a miss.

Modern Life - La Vie Moderne
Raymond Depardon, France

Another documentary, this one made by a professional photographer who has been chronicling his visits to a small region of secluded, hilly farms in France. These hamlets contains fewer and fewer farms - mostly livestock as the terrain does not allow for much by the way of crops, and they are maintained by fewer and fewer farmers, especially as most are quite elderly. Depardon has been visiting for so long that these people trust him and will sit down and answer his questions. His technique is distinct in that he leaves in the long silences and awkward pauses, but that's probably because their faces speak more loudly than the words they form. The countryside is truly beautiful, but this way of life is most definitely dying away. The film gives no overview of the plight of the small farm int he age of agribusiness, instead focusing on the lives of the few individuals left in this small grass-covered corner of the world. But the best parts of the film may be the silent shots as the car tracks around the hilly roads. You aren't going to learn much about 21st century farming or 19th century farming for that matter, but the faces and the landscape are compelling in their own way.

Eldorado
Bouli Lanners, Belgium

Efficient and often amusing road movie written by, directed by and starring Bouli Lanners. He plays Yvan, an aging and generally unkempt rotund man who makes his modest living in rural Belgium by importing and reselling classic American cars. He comes home one evening to find he has been burglarized. In fact, it's still in progress and the would-be criminal is cowering under the bed. Yvan doesn't call the cops but waits him out. When he finally emerges he introduces himself as Elie, a lanky twenty-something in dirty clothes. In the morning Yvan drops him off at the main road to go his way, no harm, no foul, but when he returns hours later to find him in the same spot and unable to hitch toward the French border to visit his parents, Yvan tells him to hop into his station wagon and off they go. It is a fast if uneasy friendship, and the two men endure some very funny pitstops along the way including a drunken fortune teller who collects infamously dented cars and a helpful nudist in an RV. By the time they reach Elie's folks and the movie makes a turn towards poignancy it's easy to go along as they are likable and we have learned why the older man feels protective of this scraggly drifter. Happily Eldorado doesn't overplay the more melodramatic elements of the final third of the movie, with a subtlety that equals the low-key humor from the first parts of the flick.

These are very good reviews, HP

I was in Philadelphia yesterday to see a show and there was actually a place near said show that was screening I think all five live action short film Oscar nominees. We paid admission for the whole screening, but we left early because we were running late for stuff and whatnot, but I did manage to catch Manon on the Asphalt, The Pig and On the Line in their entirety. Totally agree with you about Manon - it's the most dreamily satisfying film I've seen in a good long time. Neurotic mess that I am, it made me wonder if I was just born into the wrong country. Because, I mean if all French people have that kind of bemused, irreverent perspective on life and death, jeez, that's where I wanna be, man.
Yeah, one of the non-Festival theatres here in town, The Hollywood Theatre, is running the Oscar nominated shorts as well. Unfortunately they didn't start until after the Festival began, so there's no way I'm going to get over there before Sunday the 22nd, which is both the last day of the PIFF and the night of the Academy Awards.

There is some horrible annual counter-programming to the Portland International Film Festival here in Portland. The Portland Jazz Festival always overlaps, as does the Cascade Festival of African Films. I'd love to participate in both of them, but there's no way after four weeks straight of seeing two to four movies a day I can manage. I'm always depleted by the end of it, whether I've seen fifty movies or only twenty-seven.

Oh, well.

Nightwatching
Peter Greenaway, Netherlands

Greenaway is one of the most distinctive and divisive filmmakers of the past few decades. His visual mastery cannot be denied even by his biggest detractors, but as far as narratives go.... His latest is one of his most visually lush and theatrical, which considering his filmography (Prospero's Books, The Pillow Book, The Draughtsman's Contract, A Zed & Two Noughts) is really saying something. In Nightwatching Greenaway returns to the subject of Art, this time the Dutch master Rembrandt and the creation of perhaps his most famous and widely interpreted painting, The Company of Frans Banning Cocq and Willem van Ruytenburch, more commonly known as The Night Watch. Rembrandt, played by Martin Freeman (the original "The Office", The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), was commissioned to paint the Captain and nearly twenty other members of the citizen's militia guard of Amsterdam in the 1640s, to be hung in their hall, a sort of deluxe private club. It was to accompany paintings of other previous incarnations of the guardsmen done by other artists. These were all of the same type, essentially glamorous portraits of the men in their best uniforms. Even though he was paid a large sum for the work, as Greenaway's film tells it once Rembrandt met and spent time with these men he became incensed by their immoral behaviors and painted an unusual piece that, in the film's interpretation, most definitely does not portray the company as anything approaching heroic.

Any piece of art is open for interpretation, and great art even more so. With a painter like Rembrandt and a piece as dense and layered as Night Watch, wow. The theories presented in the movie are fascinating and as valid as any, including one surprise "twist" left for the end for anybody not overly familiar with the work. The very ideas and of course the visuals, which perfectly recreate Rembrandt's palate and lighting, are magnificent. Freeman is surprisingly perfect in the lead, and the script has him speak directly to the camera like Albert Finney in Tom Jones (1963) throughout. The narrative does get a bit bogged down in the complicated web of offenses and scoundrels within the guard and elsewhere and the last half before the glorious revelation of the painting become repetitive. But overall it is a bold and exciting response to the kind of light, mainstream paintingography as exhibited in The Girl with the Pearl Earring (2003) and the other such novels written by Tracy Chevalier. Like him or lump him, Greenaway is one of the most consistently interesting filmmakers around. Nightwatching will start debate among art lovers and likely delight his fans, possibly even winning him a few new converts as well.

Karamazovs - Karamazovi
Petr Zelenka, Czech Republic

A theatre troupe from Prague travels to Poland to present Evald Schorm's play based on Dostoyevsky's novel The Brothers Karamozov at a special art festival. The festival is being put on at a functioning steelworks. As they arrive by bus for a rehearsal at the factory, they intermingle with the workers still on the site. Much like Louis Malle's Vanya on 42nd Street (1994), the actors have conversations in and out of character, often in the same scene, and one of the key audience members is an older steelworker whose son has been recently injured on the job and is fighting for his life at the hospital. The staging of the play, which is an inventive take on Dostoyevsky's themes of faith, doubt, murder, reason, God and the Devil wrapped in patricide, is fascinating in and of itself, so much so that I would love to see a "straight" adaptation of the play with these same actors. But the addition of the other textual layers moving between the novel, the play, the movie and "reality", whatever in the Hell that is, is quite well done. The Byzantine structure lends itself perfectly to the project, which I suppose may be maddeningly confusing for some and a pleasure to decipher for others.

The Necessities of Life - Ce Qu'il Faut Pour Vivre
Benoît Pilon, Canada

Set in 1950s Canada, Tiivii (Natar Ungalaaq) lives off the land in the northeastern most territories with his wife and two young daughters just as his ancestors have done for generations, if not centuries. But after a government-mandated medical checkup reveals he has tuberculosis he is forced to leave his family and eventually is placed in a sanitarium in Quebec City. There he is stripped of his clothes and given a shave and haircut, but he speaks no French and certainly nobody on the staff or any of the other patients understand his native tongue. It is beyond alienating, both the culture shock but also the worrying about his family a seeming world away. When he understands enough of the diagnosis that it may take as long as two years to cure him, he makes an unsuccessful escape attempt, then starts slipping quickly toward despair. But a thoughtful young nurse on the ward (Éveline Gélinas) finally has the bright idea to bring in somebody else Tiivii can talk to in Inukitut. It's a young Eskimo orphan named Kaki (Paul-André Brasseur), also suffering from TB, who she has moved into their sanitarium.

It's a fairly straightforward but pleasant little drama, and Ungalaaq has a winning screen presence. The scenes on the tundra are magnificent, and even with the movie-of-the-week melodrama plotting the two Native characters seem plenty authentic.

Under the Bombs - تحت القصف
Philippe Aractingi, Lebanon

Powerful mix of fictional narrative and documentary footage set in Lebanon and filmed around the aftermath of the Isreal & Hezbollah warfare in the summer of 2006. The film opens with actual footage of the bombs and missiles landing all around Lebanon and then we meet Zeina (Nada Abou Farhat), a woman who steps onto the docks that so many are trying to flee from. She has made her way from Dubai via Turkey, though she was born and raised in the southern part of Lebanon, near Tyre, which isn't far from the Israeli border and has suffered greatly during this most recent of the never-ending wars. She has to make her way down there now since over a week ago she lost contact with her sister, who has been keeping her only son for her. The only cab driver willing to take her is Tony (Georges Khabbaz), a young man willing to make the risky journey for enough money. Along the way they witness firsthand the destruction and sadness left in the wake of the bombs.

Director Philippe Aractingi took his cast and small crew into the actual countryside in the days during the U.N.-sanctioned ceasefire after nearly a month of explosions, so the reality of the warfare isn't at all faked. The two main characters and the people they are searching for are fictional constructs, but the rubble and wails of pain and loss are most definitely the real thing. This doesn't come off as exploitative in the least bit, instead a worthy use of such unnecessary devastation, to reflect the tragedy back upon itself as cinema. Nada Abou Farhat and Georges Khabbaz are both particularly good, but it is the inherent power of the ruins captured for the drama that elevates the nightmare road odyssey of Under the Bombs.

there's a frog in my snake oil
No more updates from Portlandland? (I can only imagine the size of your pineal gland right now )

Tokyo Sonata
Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Japan

Family drama where its disconnected members slowly slide toward crisis, but will they survive the catastrophes and emerge from the other side? The Sasaki family consists of the father Ryûhei (Teruyuki Kagawa), mother Megumi (Kyôko Koizumi), late teenage son Takashi (Yû Koyanagi) and pre-teen son Kenji (Inowaki Kai). As the film opens Ryûhei, in his late forties, has just been downsized from his middle management office job. But he doesn't let his family know, instead dressing in his suit and leaving the house each day to look for a new job, which he finds in the current market and with his age and experience finding anything similar with comparable pay is impossible. The teenaged son is disillusioned to the point where he is wanting to join the U.S. military to fight in Iraq. His younger brother has started a bit of a war with his teacher, but is drawn to a young piano teacher he sees working out of her house on his way back home each afternoon. Mom seems to be the best off off the four, though her duties as a housewife are becoming less and less satisfying the more and more distracted and withdrawn the men in the house become. Ryûhei happens upon a former schoolmate in the same jobless predicament who has seemingly mastered the art of wasting time each day and concocting cover lies for home.

After Takashi does leave for war the tenuous grasp the other three have on normalcy quickly loosens. On one fateful day each have a circumstantial intersection with fate that allows them to desperately try and escape their lives, and its Mom who takes the most outrageous and impulsive leap. That turn in the plotting in the final third of the movie is built to slowly but comes like an avalanche when it hits. It may wrap up a little too neatly, but what it says about quiet desperation and lack of communication and honesty is effective enough, though nothing new. The cast is quite good, especially Teruyuki Kagawa as the fading patriarch, and they elevate the material a bit.

Empty Nest - El Nido Vacío
Daniel Burman, Argentina

Drama about a late middleaged couple, Leonardo (Oscar Martínez) who is a once successful novelist and Martha (Cecilia Roth) who has gone back to university to continue her education. As the film begins Leonardo has started noticing the differences in their personalities after all these years: Leonardo is modest, prefers quiet and order, and doesn't much care for people, especially in groups. His wife is the opposite, a vibrant spirit who loves to fill their home with the noise of parties and lots of different kinds of people to interact with. Leo still loves her, but his eye, or at least his mind's eye, has started to wander a bit. He's never cheated on his wife, but finds himself becoming more and more obsessed with a lovely young dentist (Eugenia Capizzano) he saw in a restaurant. Martha may be having an affair of her own with an old classmate (Jean Pierre Noher), and with their two children grown and out of the house with their bodies starting to show their ages they seem to be ripe for temptation.

Martínez is appealing on screen, I adore Cecilia Roth (Almodóvar's All About My Mother) and it becomes more and more clear in the final act that the movie is employing a literary device in its narrative which I found less than satisfying as it should have been either more subtle or more outrageous. Not a bad film, certainly, but ultimately pretty minor.

The King of Ping Pong - Ping-Pongkingen
Jens Jonsson, Sweden

Odd little flick about an odd boy named Rille (Jerry Johansson), an obese teen with a love of ping pong, which he considers the last egalitarian sport. From the first few scenes and the credit sequence it seems to be setting up a Wes Anderson-like tale of a misfit using his differences to triumph. But as it progresses it quickly becomes much more a family drama with tinges of oddball comedy. Rille has a younger brother Erik (Hampus Johansson) who is in many ways his opposite: thin, attractive, popular with both girls and the older kids in the neighborhood who usually bully Rille. But at least when they are at home Erik does look up to his big (very big) brother, and no matter their differences he admires his ping pong skills which he displays at the local rec center and does have an affectionate bond of love. Their Mother, Ann-Sofie Nurmi, is more obese than Rille and seems to be carrying on an affair with a local sporting goods salesman (Frederik Nilsson), a balding, timid man the boys show no respect for. Their Dad (Georgi Staykov) is rarely at home, being a commercial diver who goes all over the world for his job. The few days a year he's actually in town he tries to charm the boys with treats and activities, but his main flaw is that he's a drunk. Not a mean, abusive drunk, but an irresponsible lout who, though physically attractive, commands no true respect.

Rille tries to hold it all together, and though he is a sad boy he seems to be equipped to survive. As the narrative unfolds Rille reaches a breaking point during Spring Break, but will he make the right decisions once the ***** hits the fan and who can he really count on? The snowy rural Swedish setting adds a lot, but while never dull and Rille is worth rooting for an inconsistency in tone keeps the movie from becoming anything truly special. Still enough good things to recommend it, but it's not among the best of the Fest.

Captain Abu Raed - كابتن أبو رائد
Amin Matalqa, Jordan

Nadim Sawalha stars as Abu Raed, a lonely widower in Amman, Jordan. He misses his beloved wife and other than reading books and one-way conversations with her when he's in the house the only thing Abu Raed has to fill his days is his job. He's a janitor at the airport, a job he does well but without any passion. One day on the job he finds a pilot's cap in the garbage and on a whim takes it home. This will irreversibly change his life. One of the neighborhood boys who never took any notice of him before sees him wearing the cap home and is instantly intrigued. He aks him to tell him about the places he's seen, but while amused Abu Raed tries to tell the lad he is not a pilot. But the kid thinks he's just being coy, and the next day he brings a bunch of other kids from the neighborhood to see him. He resists but then decides to go with the illusion, and he starts telling the children about the wonders of the world, wonders he has never experienced first hand but has read about in his books.

While Captain Abu Raed might have remained a light comedy about the old man interacting with the kids, instead what happens with this reawakening of Raed is that he can no longer ignore the minor and major injustices he encounters each day and finds a new courage to face the world. The confrontation the plot builds to with one of the boy's abusive father makes the finale a kind of Jordanian Gran Torino. Nadim Sawalha is very appealing on screen, playing the kindly old man with more depth than the script has developed for him, the child actors especially the two main boys are fine kid actors, and Rana Sultan who plays a young female pilot Raed befriends is a stunning beauty. Jordan hasn't had a film industry to speak of in decades and while Captain Abu Raed is no masterpiece it's a good flick and hopefully ignites more cinema from that country.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oo, whine and you shall receive. Cheers Holdster

Thanks for the reviews. I was expecting a lot from Tokyo Sonata...:\

Tokyo Sonata is fine, and it's definitely a change of pace from the thrillers Kiyoshi Kurosawa has been doing. But it's sort of a Japanese mix of the Oscar winners American Beauty meets Crash, though not as stylized and more subtle than both of those flicks. I think if the dramatic turn in events had come earlier in the film and more had resulted from them or if it had remained a quiet character piece without the bits of craziness toward the end it had the makings for something very special. As is, decent movie, definitely worth seeing, but doesn't quite pull it off, you know?

Not for my taste, anyway.

Originally Posted by Golgot
No more updates from Portlandland?...Ooo, whine and you shall receive. Cheers Holdster
I had been to three screenings on Friday then four screenings a day for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Even for me, that's a lot. I needed at least one night of sleep, plus I had that pesky thing called a job to go to.

Fear not, my batteries are not dead yet! Still eleven days left with twenty-six features and two shorts programs down, and twenty-some movies to go!

A system of cells interlinked
Nightwatching looks so very interesting. I still can't find a copy of Prospero's Books, which I believe is Linespalsy's favorite film of all time, which has me damned interested.

Thanks for the excellent posts, once again.

You might wanna clear Cape no. 7 and The country teacher off your schedule, if they were on it . The former is mainstream Taiwanese cheeseball "comedy", the latter just a terribly written coming out drama with no sense and plenty of bad acting.

Edit: And wow, I just found out The country teacher is from the director of Stesti which I loved.*talks to himself*

Nevermind, I see The country teacher was screened a couple of days ago, hopefully you gave it a miss.

Let us know if 24 city is worth a watch, it's showing at the local art theater tomorrow...

Nevermind, I see The country teacher was screened a couple of days ago, hopefully you gave it a miss.

Let us know if 24 city is worth a watch, it's showing at the local art theater tomorrow...
Didn't see The Country Teacher, and I don't think I'm going to get to 24 City...so you'll have to let me know how it is.

Got a few in the pipe from last night and this morning, plus a couple more I'm about to see tonight. So very late tonight or early tomorrow I should have another five reviews up.