Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Star Trek Generations -

As i said i'm not a fan of the Star Trek show but i decided to give the first two TNG films a try since they are on Netflix. I've not seen that much from Star Trek. Probably 20 episodes from TNG and 15 from the original series, still i was interested in seeing the cast and characters from both shows interacting. Sadly no Spock though who was my favourite character from the original. My favourite part of the film was from Picard met Kirk to the end. My problems weren't the fault of the movies but just my difficulty getting interested in the show/movie. I actually zoned out a few times not deliberately but out of sheer disinterest in what was happening. Don't want to keep going on negatively so yeah not a bad film or anything just not something for me. I'm going to watch First Contact since that is the other one on Netflix here. In the Star Trek thread i noticed a few people calling that one one of the best so hopefully that will work a bit better for me.

I wouldn't have recommended Generations to someone who's not a Star Trek fan because there's too much nostalgia there.

I'd recommend giving Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan a try because it's a great action movie, even if you're not into Star Trek. It's just better if you're already familiar with the characters. (You might want to watch the original series episode "Space Seed" first because that's the introduction to the villain in STII.)

But be prepared to watch Star Trek III and Star Trek IV too because that's the trilogy, and there will be unanswered questions if you stop after STII.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I wouldn't have recommended Generations to someone who's not a Star Trek fan because there's too much nostalgia there.

I'd recommend giving Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan a try because it's a great action movie, even if you're not into Star Trek. It's just better if you're already familiar with the characters. (You might want to watch the original series episode "Space Seed" first because that's the introduction to the villain in STII.)

But be prepared to watch Star Trek III and Star Trek IV too because that's the trilogy, and there will be unanswered questions if you stop after STII.
The Wrath of Khan? Best Star Trek movie ever. But I have to admit that even as a diehard Trekkie, I loathe Generations. Whoever decided it was a good idea to kill Kirk should get a foot so far up his ass that he can't sit down for a week.

The Huntsman's Winter War (2016)

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) -

Really good until the end, which... was just weird.
Yes, weird and also kinda rushed in a silly way, unnecessarily so, especially considering that the rest of the film delivered in spades in terms of style. I mean, Aldrich could have taken his time to wrap things up more effectively but, as it is, it ends a bit too abruptly - at least that's how I felt.

But overall, it was just a minor quibble and didn't ruin what was otherwise a great film. I especially loved the mysterious box thing - so Lynchiesque.

A slice of bacon..

This film was let down by the two child actors who had no real chemistry despite the fact they are best friends who run away together, at the beginining one of them say's swear words as the other repeats them "damn".. "damn" "****"... "I can't say that, it's the worst swear word".. what the **** is this, the 1950's.. there were other moments with them that just felt completely stupid, I could almost feel them reading off the script and didn't feel natural at all, just little things... I don't know if to blame them or the direction, luckily the Bacon saved the day with a great performance as a desperate "bad guy" who's day is not going well, and there was some good moments in this movie but at 1hr 24mins it was plenty long enough, also you are not given much background or information but you fill in the blanks with your imagination and it was shot nicely

2.5/5

The sloth scene was something else - am I the only one who actually thought it was more creepy than funny?

Overall, a brilliant movie and a lot of fun.

The Bridge (1959)

-

This movie is set in a small German town during World War II as the Americans are advancing. It showcases 7 boys around their mid-teens, their daily lives, and the bravery towards the situation that comes with their naivete. They are accepted as soldiers, but on their first day, everyone else can see that they are just kids. They are given the seemingly safe and unimportant task of protecting their town's bridge. They end up having conflicts not only with the enemy, but also with their own side, thus learning about the horrors of war. I liked that the story was a little different, and the movie has a great look and feel to it. I thought it ended up getting a little out of hand with the action, but otherwise I enjoyed this quite a bit.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Sicario (2015)

Excellent. Blunt does not play a strong female lead. She is more like a sheep that keeps trying to play civil and legal with monsters, like it's a sustainable option. Fortunately, the male cast restores common sense and saves/spares her life on several occasions. Not sure why she has that useless sidekick with her for the entire film. I really enjoyed the film on several levels. Del Toro and Brolin make the movie great for me.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Triple 9 (2016)

An interesting mess. Lots going on, in a short time. Good watch, but only if you're alert and focused. Filled with great actors and actresses, but unfortunately, with not enough screen time.

Nashville (1975)

So this is why Altman is so highly rated!!!
An asolute masterpiece. All the different plot directions were so interesting and characters well developed that it was so easy to invest in them. And the way they intertwined was incredible.

Stunning!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's in English, but so difficult to understand.
How so? I just watched the trailer and there doesn't seem like there's anything odd with the language. Is it a dialect issue, or is the use of language in the film different than in the trailer?

I've never heard of this movie before, but I'm curious.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
How so? I just watched the trailer and there doesn't seem like there's anything odd with the language. Is it a dialect issue, or is the use of language in the film different than in the trailer?

I've never heard of this movie before, but I'm curious.
Yes, the accent

I understand Ken Loach likes to make movies with working-class settings, and he uses actors that blend in.... I don't like using subtitles, but I might have to next time.

Yes, the accent

I understand Ken Loach likes to make movies with working-class settings, and he uses actors that blend in.... I don't like using subtitles, but I might have to next time.
Yeah, that is understandable a few of his films i've seen are like that. If you ever try Sweet Sixteen i'd suggest using subtitles as it is full of thick Glaswegian accents and slang. Hope you do at some point as it is one of my favourite movies.