Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

That's only because you prefer surrealism over narrative.
I wouldn't say so. Surrealism usually tickles me in all the right places, but it would be ridiculous to suggest I don't like plot-based films. And it's not like I love all surrealist movies anyway, for example Un Chien Andalou or Last Year at Marienbad didn't do much for me.

rauldc, on the other hand, I've never seen him enjoy a film that doesn't rely on narrative. He will disparage anything by Lynch and Bunuel simply because he doesn't seem to enjoy these movies. And now 8 1/2. I would honestly like to know how is that not a good movie. Because it's not based on plot and doesn't try to shove its message down your throat?

When Marnie was There (2014)

Finished up Ghibli's filmography of feature length films. 8/10 All around excellent film.
Chrnological order and ratings for all Ghibli films:

Nausicaa (1984) ------------------------- 10/10
Castle in the Sky (1986) ---------------- 10/10
Totoro (1988) ----------------------------- 10/10
Grave of the Fireflies (1988) ----------- 10/10
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) ---------- 10/10
Only Yesterday (1991) ------------------- 10/10
Porco Rosso (1992) ---------------------- 10/10
Ocean Waves (1993) --------------------- 9/10
Pom Poko (1994) --------------------------- 7/10
Whisper of the Heart (1995) ------------- 10/10
Princess Mononoke (1997) -------------- 10/10
My Neighbors The Yamadas (1999) ---- 7/10
Spirited Away (2001) ---------------------- 10/10
The Cat Returns (2002) ------------------ 7/10
Howls Moving Castle (2004) ------------- 9/10
Tales of Earthsea (2006) ----------------- 5/10
Ponyo (2008) -------------------------------- 9/10
Arriety (2010) -------------------------------- 8/10
From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) ------------ 8/10
Wind Rises (2013) -------------------------- 10/10
Tale of Princess Kaguyahime (2014) --- 10/10
When Marnie was There (2014) --------- 8/10

The best animation studio of all time, among the 400 Japanese ones and many dozens of Americans and European ones, it's the greatest of all time without the shadow of a doubt.

I wouldn't say so. Surrealism usually tickles me in all the right places, but it would be ridiculous to suggest I don't like plot-based films. And it's not like I love all surrealist movies anyway, for example Un Chien Andalou or Last Year at Marienbad didn't do much for me.

rauldc, on the other hand, I've never seen him enjoy a film that doesn't rely on narrative. He will disparage anything by Lynch and Bunuel simply because he doesn't seem to enjoy these movies. And now 8 1/2. I would honestly like to know how is that not a good movie. Because it's not based on plot and doesn't try to shove its message down your throat?
Best ones are the ones which mix up the two, like Kaiba, Haibane Renmei and Spirited Away. Have a clear narrative with a high dose of symbolism. 8 1/2 is not that unclear either, though it's obviously not a conventional movie. The Mirror is perhaps more "surrealistic".

Raul doesn't like anything that is more sophisticated in general, he didn't like Utena, Madoka and Stalker, 3 pretty sophisticated and still highly entertaining films/mini-series.

8 1/2 is amazing, but I only saw it once a LONG time ago, like when I was 17 or something. So I need to see it again. It seems more my kind of film than La Dolce Vita, considering I love non-narrative and surrealist cinema, but I loved loved loved La Dolce Vita so I consider it my favorite Fellini for now.

Care for some gopher?
The Fifth Element (F, 1997, Luc Besson) -

Didn't like this movie at all. And the design is ugly as hell!

Care for some gopher?
Yes, ugly. The design, the costumes, the CGI - everything.

I couldn't disagree more, it's one of the most unique sci-fi worlds I've seen. Also it's deliberately campy.

Care for some gopher?
That may be the case but uniqueness is not a quality characteristic.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Hill
Sidney Lumet

Another excellent movie by Lumet! Sean Connery and the rest of the cast offer great performances, and the camera work is stunning! There are some real great directing details too.
It works a bit like Fail-Safe, it starts a bit slow and uninteresting but gets real powerful after the first 30 minutes. The ending is awesome! A movie about war, power, and blind obedience to rules!

+

Fun with Dick and Jane (1977)
It's funny and very well acted...

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

That's only because you prefer surrealism over narrative.

Ask him about Eraserhead.

Ask him about Eraserhead.
Oh come on, we all know Eraserhead is incredibly conventional in narrative.