Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Wyeth (2018)

For those of you who love fine painting and their artists, Wyeth is a "must see". Seasoned director/writer Glenn Holsten's magnificent and fascinating documentary about Andrew Wyeth --one of America's finest painters-- puts us inside Wyeth's mind, his studio, his family, and his life-long use of his native eastern Pennsylvania for subject material.

Director of photography, Phil Bradshaw, captures such beautiful landscapes and interiors that they would be absorbing alone as pictures. His artistry beautifully compliments Wyeth's paintings and story. The narration is very tasteful, never pushy.

Available on Amazon Prime and PBS.
Doc's rating: 9/10

Never heard of this & Netflix does not have it. Strange.

A Raisin in the Sun (1961)

One powerful drama! and a film classic. Based on the stage play, this is all about intense dialogue, fervent emotions and brooding drama that grows and grows until it reaches the boiling point. In that way it reminded me of A Streetcar Called Desire.

I'd give the first hour a solid 5/5 for it's dynamic character interaction and powerhouse dialogue. The second hour goes more broader in it's character's actions and I preferred the more tightly focused 1st hour. I'd give the second half 4/5

The film broke new cinema ground bringing to the screen for one of the first times the issues of black identity and cultural awareness. A must see film for both it's place in cinema and for it's historical hard hitting expositions.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	55523  

Me either. He’s super-handsome & I love his voice.
I love all 4 but Alex is the handsomest. Stellan is amazing and he carried the acting trait to Alex, Gustaf and Bill. I haven't seen any of Valter's films. Gustaf was handsome when younger and had hair. More blonde than Alex.

“I was cured, all right!”
The Perfect Storm

★★★★

The first point that caught my attention in this film was the 'fishing' - which I find a terrible and cruel thing, and here is portrayed in a realistic way, all the impiety before the fantastic beings that inhabit the seas of this planet — from swordfish to sharks — being horrible killed, I confess that this realism made me uncomfortable to the point of having to pause and do a quick search on the violence contained, I found a cozy truth, Petersen did not even use a real fish during the filming - and back to the movie ... even with that accurate information, everything was still incredibly terrifying, a great feat!
(https://www.peta.org.uk/media/news-r...-off-the-hook/)

There is a lot of negative criticism about the filmy, especially the lack of backstory on some of the characters, of course, much more could have been explored in George Clooney's character, by far the most complex of all of them, but The Perfect Storm is not about their characters, but rather about an event. The English/Original name is much better than the one we got here, and I do not understand the reason for the exchange, after all, "The Perfect Storm" not only sounds better than "Sea in Fury" in portuguese, but also matches the events proposed by the narrative, including the phrase is sung at a certain moment.

In Air Force One the soundtrack, Jerry Goldsmith knew well to balance the patriotic moments and of the tension, however, in Sea in Fury, the trail of James Horner is pure hunting nickel! There is a lack of identity, a lack of accompaniment to the events on display - such as the climax, where the track insists on slow tones already used in excess during the most dramatic moments, and when finally it decides to follow the fast pace, the sequence ends.

More terrifying than fishing, it is the event, I recommend everyone to watch with the best image quality possible, because its special effects continue to holds up, without embarrassing moments like the Air Force climax. The sea in this film is scary, and sometimes beautiful: nine-meter waves; the tone darkened; the closes on the moist and frightened faces, the open plans of the boat, like an insignificant needle in the middle of the storm.

Petersen departs from the easy protagonism formula, and adds some other characters (all linked somehow to catastrophe), some work, like the crew aboard of another boat; the drama of the rescue team; the slight participation of the man of time, astonished by the storm itself; the character of Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (she's very good here)... and a few others, do not work, is the case of all the arc of the character of Diane Lane and those who are waiting for news about their loved ones.

The Perfect Storm is a staggering experience, as I said, this is a film about one event, and although not perfect, this storm deserves to be rediscovered. It's one of Petersen's great films.

Spider-man: Far From Home

Virtually perfect, Tom Holland continues to nail it as Spider-man while the supporting cast all does a great job Ned chews that scenery like a man possessed. But I feel like the MVP of the film in Jon Favreau who has a moment that kicks you straight in the emotional feels.

'Midsommar' (2019)

I can't help compare it to Hereditary. And the bottom line is - it is not as good.

Hard to really review it without spoilers. There are flashes of great cinema with some lovely visceral shots and shocking imagery. Florence Pugh is great. But there is just too much here of a derivative nature and too much that doesn't really feel like it makes any difference. I sense there were alot of discussions over the final cut - as I'm pretty sure there are scenes that are in the trailer that didn't make it into the film. That tells you all you need to know about the pacing, and the middle of the film just felt too long.

That said, it is worth watching and has some very memorable scenes.

A Woman Of The World (Malcolm St. Clair, 1925)

Early Ned Flanders mix of melodrama and the light-hearted

Aala Kaf Ifrit [Beauty And The Dogs] (Kaouther Ben Hania, 2017)
+
Aptly titled (in English) but sadly feels a bit like a ruff cut rather than the finished article

The Mule (Clint Eastwood, 2018)

Clint Eastwood produced, directed and stars in this story of a 90 year old man who drove drugs across country for a powerful cartel. It's not an action packed thriller-chase movie, so if you go into this with that mindset you're going to be disappointed. Except for a few brief tension filled moments, the film is laid back and directed in the no-nonsense style that has became a hallmark of Eastwood. You won't find flashbacks and flash-forwards...you won't find three different time frames presented in the same movie...and you won't find shaky cam or 360 degree rotating camera shots. Like I said this is no-nonsense story telling, pure and simple.

+

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	to-baporaki.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	55535