The 2023 MoFo Film Awards

Tools    

So who do we need to beg to get The Boy and the Heron and Godzilla Minus One onto streaming before the end of April? They're probably the two biggest films I haven't seen - Maestro too, though its prominence in more negative categories doesn't really make me want to watch it haha.

Oh, I almost forgot about Spider-man. Haven't seen that either, and it's all over the nominations list. It and Are You There God? are the only "Best Film" nominees I haven't already watched, though I'm not particularly inclined to check out the latter (since I'm not a fan of coming-of-age films).

Even though Society of the Snow only made it into one category, it was nominated for a couple others, and nearly made it into Best Cinematography, so I might add that one to my watch list as well.

I'm really surprised Barbie didn't make the best film list. I'm also surprised Elemental is on the list for worst Film. It's a bit weak for Disney, but there are a lot of way worse films out there.

I'm also surprised Cocaine Bear, Five Nights at Freddy's, and M3gan didn't appear anywhere. I'm not sure exactly where each would appear, but I thought I'd see them in more categories.
I tried with M3gan with Special Effects and Memorable Scene (where she did that dance).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I forgot to vote. I don't think it would have changed anything, but my ballot would have given Past Lives more votes.

I also would have nominated Jennifer Lawrence for No Hard Feelings but I'm pretty sure nobody else did.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
All of Us Strangers came out in early 2024 in Canada, otherwise, I would have nominated it in a lot of categories. That's on me.

Suspect's Reviews

If anyone is curious about films they loved or voted for that didn't make the cut, feel free to ask about them and I can tell you things like how close it got, how many people voted for it (just not who - that would be up to them to reveal), or if it showed up in categories you might not expect.

One of the films I voted for that didn't get much love was Monster. It caught a few stray votes in some categories, but that was it.

I only voted for two animated films, Suzume and Nimona, but I liked Suzume way more, and was sad that it only got like, 1 more point other than the 5 I gave it.

My two biggest disappointments were Afire (I think I expected too much given how much I loved some of Petzold's other films), and Infinity Pool (which was definitely a mixed bag though I didn't vote for it there). They were both nominated in a few positive categories by other people, and I'm glad those voters liked the films more than I did.

I'm the only one who voted for Dave Bautista for his performance in Knock at the Cabin, and I think the guy needs to get more credit for his acting because out of all the "wrestlers turned actors" I think he's easily the best, and has a lot of potential to grow as well.

Dungeons & Dragons got two "Funniest Scene"s in, but not the one I had at #1, which was the "But we approved your pardon!" bit. At #3 I had John Wick falling down all those stairs, because that was probably the most unintentionally ridiculous things I saw all year haha. I didn't expect anyone else to vote for the latter, but I genuinely thought the former would get a few mentions.

I don't think Monster has come out here yet. Different release dates do make this tricky.
Since it didn't make it into any of the categories, it'll be eligible again next year at least.

One of the films I voted for that didn't get much love was Monster. It caught a few stray votes in some categories, but that was it.

That's only just been released here. it will be high up on my voting for the 2024 list. Lovely film.

How did you get yo see it in 2023? A festival?

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
If anyone is curious about films they loved or voted for that didn't make the cut, feel free to ask about them and I can tell you things like how close it got, how many people voted for it (just not who - that would be up to them to reveal), or if it showed up in categories you might not expect.
Asking via PM or posting here?

How did you get yo see it in 2023? A festival?
I didn't see it until a month ago when it was released on streaming. Since it's a 2023/2024 film, I voted for it just in case other people had seen it early, or watched it as soon as it was available online as well.

Asking via PM or posting here?
It's up to you. If you post about it in the thread, others who voted for it might chime in too. But if you'd rather not ask publicly, you can send me a PM.

I only voted for two animated films, Suzume and Nimona, but I liked Suzume way more, and was sad that it only got like, 1 more point other than the 5 I gave it.

My two biggest disappointments were Afire (I think I expected too much given how much I loved some of Petzold's other films), and Infinity Pool (which was definitely a mixed bag though I didn't vote for it there). They were both nominated in a few positive categories by other people, and I'm glad those voters liked the films more than I did.

I'm the only one who voted for Dave Bautista for his performance in Knock at the Cabin, and I think the guy needs to get more credit for his acting because out of all the "wrestlers turned actors" I think he's easily the best, and has a lot of potential to grow as well.

Dungeons & Dragons got two "Funniest Scene"s in, but not the one I had at #1, which was the "But we approved your pardon!" bit. At #3 I had John Wick falling down all those stairs, because that was probably the most unintentionally ridiculous things I saw all year haha. I didn't expect anyone else to vote for the latter, but I genuinely thought the former would get a few mentions.

I didn't think of voting Infinity Pool for mixed bag. It certainly fits. That was a WEIRD one.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Dream Scenario actually got the same number of points as All of Us Strangers, Are You There God?, Past Lives, and Spider-man. I already mentioned that Zone of Interest was bumped off due to a late ballot that really boosted Spider-man, but The Iron Claw would've made it if one of the later participants hadn't given Dream Scenario the extra points it needed to push ahead that little bit. It's proof that every vote counts!

I really liked Dream Scenario and had it on my ballot in a number of places, so I'm perfectly happy with that outcome haha.

M3GAN was nominated in a number of categories by a couple people, but didn't quite have enough points to break into them. Five Nights at Freddy's didn't get much attention, but it was nominated in both Overrated and Underrated, which I thought was amusing.

Indeed, thank you for running the contest!

I voted M3gan and Five Nights at Freddy's for several categories, but I'm a weirdo. 🤓

Thanks again for running this, Cosmic.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
1. Were there some other mentions than mine in the nominations of these four movies: Inside, Coup de chance, The Teachers' Lounge, Io capitano [The Captain]?
2. Aside of its two categories inclusion, how was Asteroid City in the other segments?
3. Were there some other mentions than mine for Adam Driver?
4. What are next two or three films in the queue for Worst Film.

Io capitano [The Captain]?
That's another that will be in next year's list. Was only released in January. Absolutely terrific film though with one of the best lead performances in years.

1. Were there some other mentions than mine in the nominations of these four movies: Inside, Coup de chance, The Teachers' Lounge, Io capitano [The Captain]?
Unfortunately not for the first two, but The Teacher's Lounge and Io capitano both had support in the foreign language category.

2. Aside of its two categories inclusion, how was Asteroid City in the other segments?
Asteroid City was all over the place. It was also nominated by multiple people for Best Film, Worst Film, Best Screenplay, Biggest Disappointment, Most Overrated, Mixed Bag, Best Cinematography, Best Visuals.

A few people nominated Wes Anderson for Best Director as well. I think you were the only one who voted for any of the actors though (other than as an ensemble).

3. Were there some other mentions than mine for Adam Driver?
Not specifically. His other film 65 had a few votes for Worst Film and Biggest Disappointment though.

4. What are next two or three films in the queue for Worst Film.
Meg 2: The Trench was next, and after that both 65 and No Hard Feelings were tied.

I forgot the opening line.
Here I go! - I managed to see every single film involved with the previous awards and I've seen a fair few of these. I might struggle when it comes to documentaries and their availability. The worst aspect of covering all bases is having to watch the Expendables 4 (I haven't even seen the first three - but I can't imagine that mattering) and Quasi. What on earth is Quasi? Otherwise, a good chance to mop up what I overlooked or didn't get to in '23.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The worst aspect of covering all bases is having to watch the Expendables 4 (I haven't even seen the first three - but I can't imagine that mattering) and Quasi. What on earth is Quasi?
I also had never heard of Quasi, until a couple people voted for it.

All the Expendables movies are pretty bad, but the others were at least a little fun at times. I really do not recommend watching the new one just to be more confident in how you're voting for Worst Film, especially if you have no history with the previous entries. Though if you do decide to check it out despite that warning, remember that this isn't a Hall of Fame and you can turn it off at any point.

Otherwise, a good chance to mop up what I overlooked or didn't get to in '23.
Yeah, that's one of the things I like about the Film Awards. There have been a number of good movies I wouldn't have bothered to watch if it wasn't for this, and it really helps me get to films in a timely manner instead of putting off watching them until I forget they exist haha.

Ant0man really shouldn't be a "worst" film of the year when Flash and Marvels came out.

Happy to see Godzilla Minus One, Dream Scenario, and Saltburn show up...little sad that Infinity Pool and The Iron Claw only registered a single nom.