How Much Did You Like the Movie Forrest Gump?

Tools    

i love it, love it,love it,love it,love it......

I find the popularity of the movie disturbing. If Carl Jung was correct in that stories reflect the values of a society then movie has me worried for our society. This movie is the embodiment of the selfish notion that every life is important and that we all are destined for something great whether we know it or not. In the movie Forest influences everything from dancing, to watergate. It attempts to make the case that every life is equally sacred, and I am not a fan of that idea.
Not a big fan of Carl Jung

everybody's life is sacred to someone

Yeah, not to pile on, but I disagree vehemently on both counts: the idea that every life is sacred is inarguable for anyone who values their humanity, I think, and it's not what Forrest Gump is about, anyway. If it's about any one thing (and I doubt that it is), it's about how the basic tenets and truths of life are accessible to even the simplest of people, and that all our collective intelligent and ambition is often as likely to obscure them as illuminate them.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I find the popularity of the movie disturbing. If Carl Jung was correct in that stories reflect the values of a society then movie has me worried for our society. This movie is the embodiment of the selfish notion that every life is important and that we all are destined for something great whether we know it or not. In the movie Forest influences everything from dancing, to watergate. It attempts to make the case that every life is equally sacred, and I am not a fan of that idea.

Will you be my new best friend?

I agree with you in life philosophy (on that point) and in part on the movie. I do take a bit of the nihlistic view that nothing we do really matters in the end. And yes, that view does seem to oppose a lot of the messages in Forrest Gump. I don't think the film is saying that every life will make a difference, but it does say that each life may matter in some way.

The sad thing is a lot of people's lives don't matter. I do think the film tried to take a person who would be at the lowest tier of society (a retard) and show that even they have something to offer.

I think agree with you on these points.

However.

That does not make it a bad movie. It's a movie I enjoy very much. I would not call it great, but it's pop/art at its best.

I do think people tend to praise it too much because of the content. It's a nostalgic walk down memory lane for people who lived during that era, so it will be interesting to see how it is viewed once those people start dieing off from old age in the next 10-30 years.

Rating it, I rate it in the B letter grade range.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
I recently rewatched this, and my feelings for it haven't changed. But did anyone else find this reoccurring bit annoying?

Forrest (narrate): Bubba knew everything about the shrimping business.
Bubba: I know everything there is to know about the shrimpin' business.

This happened at least seven or eight times easily. It got so old!

Doesn't bother me a bit little lady. Of course, I happen to think its one of the best movies made in the last 20 years though, so yeah, I'm biased.

If you don't really like the movie why would you rewatch it?

She should, it's a great film. And I just read your post from several months ago about how you use it in your class. I think that's great Mark.

Gump is a very personal movie for me on a few levels. Especially a lot of the Lt. Dan scenes. I can really relate to a lot of his inner pain and strife and later his peace as well. It's a very similar journey that a recovering druggie like myself can and did take.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Forrest Gump is a top 50 film for me no doubt, and probably top 25. The repeatability quality of it is just too good. It is also a film that you can't help but feel involved and attached to the characters of the movie. Great film, no doubt.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Actually, teachers at my school love this movie. I saw it again this semester. I don't think it's amazing or anything, but I don't really dislike it. I can't deny that it's interesting. It's got a few laughs and talented cast, but I don't rave like a lot of people do. I just wondered if the whole repeating thing ever got on anyone else's nerves

Don't know if it's a good or bad movie. Just know that me and the missus will dust off our copy of it every year or so and enjoy it immensely. From the many replies it's obvious that viewers can take a lot of differ interpretations away from this movie, and that's got to be something of an accomplishment. I tend to view it as the story of a decent person who did the best with the hand he was dealt, and by simply choosing to do what's right, rather than what's easy, he lived a rich and full life. All of the encounters with famous people along the way are handled with a great deal of whimsy, so I don't try to force a super-serious meanings onto them.
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Forrest Gump is a flippin' modern masterpiece that I've yet to tire of even slightly. It's gutsy and funny and moving and brilliant, and I very rarely issue poster-ish sounding quotes like that about any film, because I feel so few work on so many levels. You know that old saw, "I laughed, I cried..."? That actually applies here.

You're crazy people for having a different opinion than me.

I love it
def. in my top 5 fav. films ever
Verry powerfull movie

(an important element is the music in the film,original score by Alan Silvestri,music in film is imho verry important,its importance is underrated imo)

another interested point is that if you would explain what the film is about;there wouldnt be that much to it.
Its an extraordinary story happening in our reality,which makes it believable even if the story itself is unbelievable (hard to explain)...
The way the story is visually and auditoraly(?) told results in that amazing chemestry...

I recently rewatched this, and my feelings for it haven't changed. But did anyone else find this reoccurring bit annoying?

Forrest (narrate): Bubba knew everything about the shrimping business.
Bubba: I know everything there is to know about the shrimpin' business.

This happened at least seven or eight times easily. It got so old!
(I guess you could see this as either :his stupid side or his hidden intelectual side ; using the exact same words of someone in the story to tell that story,even if 4 or 5 years have passed since...I think its a fun detail of his personality)