The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think I got 1917 confused with Dunkirk (the Christopher Nolan film I saw and liked).

Haven't seen Deadpool. Will I end up having a blast with it or tell it to shut up?

I recently got Disney Plus so I can start knocking out the Marvels and Disney animated films (you may be surprised what I haven't seen, like the Toy Stories)

And no, I haven't seen Certified Copy either.

Toy Story 3 is fun and is the closest I’ve ever come to loving any of the Toy Story movies but it was never in serious consideration for my ballot. Its appearance this low makes me pretty worried for the chances of some of the animated films I did vote for.

I can’t say I’ve ever had any interest in Certified Copy.

Seen: 10/18
My Ballot:
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

Here's my review of Toy Story 3:

Toy Story 3 (Lee Unkrich, 2010)
(Rewatch)

Despite my deep appreciation of animation and being something of a Pixar fangirl, I've never loved the Toy Story series. Don't get me wrong, they're charming and funny but I've always just come away feeling like they were only pretty good. Except for this one. Most of it is pretty much on par with the other three films, but that incinerator scene and the scene when Andy meets Bonnie have just enough emotional punch to elevate it for me to an almost love-it level.

Probably more like a 3.75 than a 4, but I'll round up.

Toy Story 3 just barely made my ballot. It was #25. It honestly had no business being as good as it was, being the third installment.

There's a term TV critics have: "schmuck bait." It refers to situations the writers put primary characters in where they're ostensibly in danger, even though any discerning viewer must realize that they can't feasibly be killed off at that point. IE: only a schmuck is nervous about the outcome.

I won't spoil it too much, but, there's some schmuck bait around the end of Toy Story 3 (sort of: the end of the story is one of the times you CAN get rid of major characters), and God help me, it got me. I was actually worried. "Are they really gonna do this?!" I couldn't believe it, even though I didn't quite see how they'd get them out of it.

I'm not sure how, but they got me. It's nice to know movies can still do that to us (me) sometimes. That's why it made my list, albeit at the very bottom.

Certified Copy is the 1st from my ballot to appear. I just recently watched it in the Group Watch thread and thought enough of it for it to be my #21.

I didn't like any of the Toy Story movies and if I remember correctly, I liked 3 the least.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I liked Certified Copy well enough the one time I did watch it, though its constantly-shifting conversation feels like the kind of thing I'd have to watch more than once to fully appreciate - and I probably will end up doing that. Toy Story 3 is fine, though it is definitely a sequel that feels like it's coasting more on fondness for its predecessors than being a strong film in its own right.

Seen: 5 - The Cabin in the Woods - Decent movie, not a fan of it though.

Deadpool - One of my favorite marvel movies and It's #5 on my ballot list

Toy Story 3 - Good movie better then the 4th one imo.

Not Seen: 13

I have not seen The Artist, 1917 and Certified Copy

My Ballot so far:

#5 - Deadpool (2016)
#25 - One Pointer: Purge: Election Year

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Haven't seen Certified Copy and like Toy Story 3 when it was called Toy Story 2. I saw Cabin In The Woods a long time ago and didn't care for it. Didn't hate it but it reminded me of some of the later episodes of Buffy and Angel when I felt that the writers were having a lot more fun writing the episode than I had watching it. This whole film feels like that to me only it doesn't have my love and affection for the characters/franchise to buffer it and so I just get annoyed that it's being clever without entertaining me and, therefore, failing and wasting my time.

As for Deadpool and 1917, not seen either, but do have some interest in seeing 1917. It's on tonight and I've set it to record, but the truth is that I'll probably delete it unseen.

I watched Certified Copy in SpelingError's Group Watch, great idea too...but I just don't get the love for this movie. No votes from me.

Toy Story 3, I haven't seen it, it's probably fun.

Victim of The Night
Well, it's one that I'm hoping I can switch my frame of mind towards and see again, because when a movie (and especially a horror movie) gets this much favourable mention I can't help but want to be in on the fun. Writing what I did about it, I think I'm searching and grasping for the reasons why it hasn't clicked with me yet. Sometimes I can't quite understand why - especially since everything that everyone is writing about makes it seem like an absolute perfect movie for me.
There's a tremendous amount of detail in the script too that is a lot of fun to continue to unravel on re-watches.
Like in the opening scene they joke about the last time they had a problem and how it was the Chem Department's fault (the woman in the lab coat they are teasing and who is there throughout the film is the representative of the Chem Department) and it turns out in this one that it's... the Chem Department's fault that it all goes wrong again. Just one quick line when she admits that the stuff that his weed actually made him immune to all the chemical manipulations. But there's so much going on it's easy to miss little details like that.
A million little things like that are all through the movie and it's really fun to see how pat the movie actually is even when you set all of its moving parts on top of each other.
I actually think it's just CGI-blood away from being perfect.

Toy Story 3 just barely made my ballot. It was #25. It honestly had no business being as good as it was, being the third installment.

There's a term TV critics have: "schmuck bait." It refers to situations the writers put primary characters in where they're ostensibly in danger, even though any discerning viewer must realize that they can't feasibly be killed off at that point. IE: only a schmuck is nervous about the outcome.

I won't spoil it too much, but, there's some schmuck bait around the end of Toy Story 3 (sort of: the end of the story is one of the times you CAN get rid of major characters), and God help me, it got me. I was actually worried. "Are they really gonna do this?!" I couldn't believe it, even though I didn't quite see how they'd get them out of it.

I'm not sure how, but they got me. It's nice to know movies can still do that to us (me) sometimes. That's why it made my list, albeit at the very bottom.
Oh, I'm so with you on this... and then

WARNING: spoilers below

...to have such a great payoff with the big "claw" was something truly wonderful. It felt earned.

Haven't seen Certified Copy, or any Kiarostami for that matter. A blind spot I plan to remedy soon.

I agree with most people. Toy Story 3 didn't have any right to be as good as it was. It's a true delight and I'm always surprised by how much it gets to me, considering that I was already in college when the first one came out Still, I thought about it but didn't include it.

So, this is where I'm at so far...

Seen: 13/18

My ballot:  

Oh, I'm so with you on this... and then

WARNING: spoilers below

...to have such a great payoff with the big "claw" was something truly wonderful. It felt earned.
Yup. Usually I'm really good at spotting foreshadowing and figuring out what's being setup, but that caught me totally off-guard despite being, in retrospect, the perfect solution.

I loved Certified Copy. It was my first Abbas (and still is the only one I’ve seen from him). The good @seanc recommended it…

As for the Toy Story movies, I’m a very huge fan. I grew up on the first two and they were some of my favorite films. I had a shirt of the first sequel and I drew lots of drawings of the characters when I was a kid.

I’ve revisited the first two since too and I still love them. Both are extremely good but the second one is my favorite…

Unfortunately though, the third film has never been that great to me. The last 20 minutes might be though. They are close to the perfect ending for the franchise (the whole escape and then the almost fatal finale and then Andy in the end). But everything before that just doesn’t do much to me at all. I also like the fourth one okay but it hasn’t got anything on the first two.

I’m building quite a little watchlist off this countdown since Certified Copy is another one I never even heard of.

Toy Story 3 was on my ballot. It is top tier Pixar and shockingly serious in the third act, but then manages to close it out in a sweet and emotional way. And even before we get there it’s a funny and entertaining adventure movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Cabin in the Woods is okayish but it's yet another supposedly genius and unique horror film I found underwhelming.

The Artist is a film I loved many years ago. I wonder how I'd respond to it now. But it's nowhere near the top of my rewatch priority list.

1917 was good if underwhelming and gimmicky. The newest adaptation of All Quiet on the Western Front trumps it in pretty much every way.

Deadpool is another superhero/comic-book film on the list that I haven't seen. The sheer fact it's here (along with some Marvel movies) is concerning.

Certified Copy is good but I'm not into Kiarostami whom I always find broadcasting on different waves from mine.

Toy Story 3 is a film I haven't seen. I dread to think I'd have to (re)watch the first two before watching this one, so I'm good leaving them all unseen. I have seen the first two as a kid, though, I believe.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

1917 was good and I recall Deadpool being kind of cool (maybe a bit too meta) back when I saw it. Certified Copy was one of the last 5-10 that got cut from my list and Toy Story 3 is upper tier Pixar. I was definitely a schmuck who took the bait, as Yoda explains above.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

two more from my list, neither of which i expected to make it. kiarostami is my favorite filmmaker of all time and certified copy is one of his best, i had it at #13. toy story 2 was my favorite animated film as a kid and i was as shocked as anyone when toy story 3 nearly lived up to it. i haven’t seen it in years and it may not hold up in my eyes these days, but i had to honor how much i loved it when i last saw it so i put it at #18.

really like 1917 as a very well-executed gimmick movie but it wouldn’t make my top 200. cabin in the woods is fun enough but i don’t have strong feelings towards it.
criticker

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I've seen none of the Toy Story series.
-----

Certified Copy was one of my last cuts. I have it at #28 on my list. Now, I feel relieved it made Top 100.

Here what I wrote in the Group Watch thread couple of months ago:
I saw Certified Copy couple of years ago.
A film full of aromas, also painfully nostalgic at moments. Kind of a walk for the lead characters, at their late mid-age, through the places and memories, trying to catch the feelings of their youth. At least, I felt the film like that.
Juliette Binoche at her best here.
It is definitely a top 100 movie of the 2010's. Unfortunately, may be hard to cover it with this short ballot of 25.

The same as the main characters, we've traveled by car around Tuscany in 2017. This added additional touch to the movie for us.

8.0/10

-----

Top 100 seen 6/18.
(seen 441-458 • 2/18
seen one pointers • 4/35)

--
My list (extended top 60):
9. Albert Nobbs (2011) [#453.]
25. Ága (2018) [one-pointer]

==============================

28. Certified Copy (2010) [#84.]
55. The Descendants (2011) [#98.]
56. 1917 (2019) [#86.]
60. The Artist (2011) [#87.]

I know this tangential to this thread, but now that Stu has clarified he meant Breaking Bad, this post has been sticking with me. I watched all of Breaking Bad (I also watched one season of the Sopranos after it was all over and it kept coming up on top of "best shows ever" lists. But after one season, I saw nothing that made me think it was anything other than what I originally thought it would be, and that wasn't something that interested me a great deal). It really didn't get its footing until... I don't know when, and it got better. But at the same time, it doesn't jump to my mind when I think greatest tv shows of all time