22.83%
29 votes
Other
40.94%
52 votes
None
127 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Originally Posted by John McClane
They're allowed to use public areas for meetings. They just can't recruit people on public property.

My troop meets at a local church, like most of them do.
Must be a regional thing then. Every Troop I have belonged to with the exception of the one at my catholic school met in a public school facility.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Othelo
Must be a regional thing then. Every Troop I have belonged to with the exception of the one at my catholic school met in a public school facility.
Just recently, they have not been allowed to use government facilities. So military bases are no long an option for Jamborees.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Just recently, they have not been allowed to use government facilities. So military bases are no long an option for Jamborees.
About three years ago when we lived in Fla, my son attended cub scout meetings at his public school. This must be a very recent development. I can't say I disagree with it though, although it does open the door to all kinds of legal challenges to freedom of speech and public assembly.

Originally Posted by Othelo
About three years ago when we lived in Fla, my son attended cub scout meetings at his public school. This must be a very recent development. I can't say I disagree with it though, although it does open the door to all kinds of legal challenges to freedom of speech and public assembly.
Well, who was the charter?

I was raised southern baptist, but I have since reounced it. I have no religion, its not for me.

rhymes with Goebbels
Nice ol' generic agnostic.

I was raised baptist but am not currently attending church right now. I respect religion but am a bit confused.

None........................I'm into love and Peace

Most of my family says the exact same thing when they find out I'm atheist. "Oh no. That's not good." My mom says I shouldn't label myself, especially with such a harsh word. As she so put it.

Most of my family says the exact same thing when they find out I'm atheist. "Oh no. That's not good." My mom says I shouldn't label myself, especially with such a harsh word. As she so put it.
My family is the same way. My brother is an atheist & my mom is always saying that she is going to pray for him, as she continues to shove religion down his throat.

I've found myself in a situation where two of my closest friends, who are girls, are devout believers. So anything I say is wrong. And they try to serve me guilt on a platter afterwords.

I've found myself in a situation where two of my closest friends, who are girls, are devout believers. So anything I say is wrong. And they try to serve me guilt on a platter afterwords.
That makes me want to shun religion...

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
That makes me want to shun religion...
I like the conflict actually. It's amazing how the "moral" people get absolutely pissed off when you question them.

Actually, just recently I had an exchange of e-mails with this one Christian and they were very well thought out and extremely nice. Neither one of us called the other stupid, dumb, etc. I used the word ignorant in the being of the conversation but I don't consider that an insult. But I think that word is what really gets me into my predicaments; ignorant. I don't think many people really understand what it means and think of it as an insult.

there's a frog in my snake oil
But I think that word is what really gets me into my predicaments; ignorant. I don't think many people really understand what it means and think of it as an insult.
Well, it's rarely a complement. What's your definition of 'ignorant' then? (And can i borrow your dictionary? This could get me out of so many past arguments )

Originally Posted by Golgot
Well, it's rarely a complement. What's your definition of 'ignorant' then? (And can i borrow your dictionary? This could get me out of so many past arguments )
Well, that I know. It's more like a neutral term. You're just uninformed or not educated on the subject. Or you make a statement that is lacking information.

Dictionary.com:
  1. lacking in knowledge or training
  2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact
  3. uninformed

You think that's neutral? To suggest that someone has no idea what they're talking about?

(What were they talking about anyway? )

You think that's neutral? To suggest that someone has no idea what they're talking about?

(What were they talking about anyway? )
I really don't find it to be an insult. If someone called me ignorant and I didn't think I was, I'd show why I wasn't ignorant. If I didn't know anything on the subject, I'd go research it.

We were talking about condom use being sinful.

I really don't find it to be an insult.
It definitely ain't neutral tho is it

Originally Posted by JM
We were talking about condom use being sinful.
Ok, I can imagine what kind of argument you were having.

You might be interested in this:

Teenagers special: Going all the way

It drives home the message that abstinence isn't a 'cure all' (to socially transmitted diseases etc) - But it also suggests that contraception-advocation promotes sex a bit too readily n'all.

There's still a meeting of minds to be had on where contraception and morality contribute to a better way of living. (Altho on Africa you've pretty much got the argument won )

Don't think that just coz they're fact-less in some of their decisions that they're entirely wrong tho. That's all

There's still a meeting of minds to be had on where contraception and morality contribute to a better way of living. (Altho on Africa you've pretty much got the argument won )

Don't think that just coz they're fact-less in some of their decisions that they're entirely wrong tho. That's all
My argument was pretty much completely reserved towards AIDS in third world countries. So I don't exactly see how someone could be right on deeming the use of condoms sinful in those disease stricken areas.

My argument was pretty much completely reserved towards AIDS in third world countries. So I don't exactly see how someone could be right on deeming the use of condoms sinful in those disease stricken areas.
I agree with you there JM.

And i agree that their 'it's a 100% sinful' attitude is definitely ****e.

But...

Just coz they're wrong on Africa (and they pretty much are) doesn't mean they're 100% wrong all told.

(And if you go around calling them '100% ignorant' they're never going to listen to you at all )