MoFo Lists

Tools    

And Yol is well worth watching, at least I think so.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I'm having trouble looking up a title from the Cannes list. It's supposed to be called The Way from 1981. I can't find this film as of yet. Is this its English title? Or does anyone know if this title is correct?

EDIT: I can't see it on the Palm d'Or list so now I'm wondering if this was just a miss print.
Hey PW, you can rent Yol from the King County Library System.

Here's the link http://catalog.kcls.org/search~S1?/Y...ORT=D&8%2C8%2C

Hmm, that's weird. Chelovek No. 217 is the only one that's on the IMDB list (which has 12) when compared to the Wikipedia one (which has 11). This blog has 11, as well, where Chelovek is listed as a competitor but not a winner:

http://histoiredecannes.blogspot.com...l-du-film.html

Definitely something strange going on with the discrepancy. AllMovie.com lists the film as having won the "Grand Prix For Best Director," whereas it has a film like The Lost Weekend, which is on all these lists, as winning the "Grand Prix." Perhaps that's the reason? IMDB is counting the Best Director Grand Prix as the "overall" Grand Prix for some reason?
I think this link from BFI seems to make sense.

Cannes: 1st

I figure the information would be accurate from Cannes website, but on the 1946 list they have La Bataille du Rail listed twice.

Nice one; I'll take a look. I've still got two or three I need to add soon. Hopefully this week! I'm a bit behind on some of the great suggestions here. It takes a little time to sit down and write a script to parse each individual list (some more than others).

Quick update on the Movie Lists area, by the way: I've modified the Statistics column on the right of the page to only include users with more than 10 posts. I think a lot of people sign up thinking the area is about downloading movies or something. A lot of them only check off a couple of movies and never come back. I feel pretty confident stating that these are the result of some kind of misunderstanding, and it drags the averages down pretty badly, so I put in this post minimum, and it seems to have brought the numbers up to something that seems more in line with reality

Quick update: I've added the Film Noirs list Holden was kind enough to post not too long ago:

BFI Screen Guides' 100 Film Noirs

Still a couple of good suggestions made earlier that I'm going to try to get to soon. It just happened that Holden's was the easiest to parse and the first I found when going back through this thread. More fairly soon! Rest assured I haven't forgotten some of the great suggestions here. We'll keep adding and, at some point soon, we'll probably re-organize things a little to accommodate the growing number of lists.

Quick update: I've added the Film Noirs list Holden was kind enough to post not too long ago:

BFI Screen Guides' 100 Film Noirs
Sweetness.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Ahem...

WOOT!

EDIT - Man... one of my favorite genres, and I have a paltry 26% viewed on Holden's list... I have some watching to do!

What's that first image you posted, Holden - with the shadows on the drapes?

Awesome. More the lists, more the Swan is merry.

If it matters any, I would much love to see a good foreign list put up.

I think I like it better when lists get put up full of movies that I've already seen, or mostly seen. Cripes, I've seen more films from the Cannes list than this one.

Oh, well. I did just find a nice shiny copy of Intolerance: Loves Struggle Through the Ages (1916), so I'll finally be able to get the 100 Hundred Years 100 Movies list completed. Umm, yay me.

This list looks fun to work through. Looked up some of the flicks I haven't seen yet, with this list and my recent commitment to boost my percentage for the Westerns and Brit lists I have a lot of watching in the near future.

Welcome to the human race...
Yet you've still seen more Westerns than me, though I could easily overtake that in the space of a single weekend.

But yeah, noir's a good choice for a list, even though I don't feel any raving obsession with getting to 100% as soon as humanly possible - then again, I'm pretty relaxed towards ticking off these lists.