MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2024 Season

Tools    

The trick is not minding
I've never seen anything like that. Hard to respond without perfectly retracing steps but usually that kind of stuff just ends up being an unrefreshed page or something. I dunno.
It went back to normal once I put Darvish back in but yeah, it was weird. Didn’t mess anything up, thankfully.

Yeah, tons of games getting rained out today.

I have Burnes in my other league and Ragans in this one and I was all hyped to watch them square off! Bleh.

Speaking of watching players, now that the season has started the MLB app is delivering on all the out of market games able to be viewed. I was able to peek at many of my guys games yesterday.

The trick is not minding
Ok, looks like I’m starting to get the hang of this. Pitching is very important, and I my RP’s are doing their job, but I should start looking for another SP. Hitting still needs some work, but it may come around eventually. I may be cutting some people loose a little early, but I need to see if I can fix some issues with waivers.
I was down all the way to 46 points at one point, after a horrific opening weekend that was seriously deflating, but I think I’m starting to figure out my lineup a little.
Let’s see how much I can claw my way back into this.

Ok, looks like I’m starting to get the hang of this. Pitching is very important, and I my RP’s are doing their job, but I should start looking for another SP. Hitting still needs some work, but it may come around eventually. I may be cutting some people loose a little early, but I need to see if I can fix some issues with waivers.
I was down all the way to 46 points at one point, after a horrific opening weekend that was seriously deflating, but I think I’m starting to figure out my lineup a little.
Let’s see how much I can claw my way back into this.

This isn't Fantasy Football. You're fine. PW is dead last and has as good of chance winning the whole.thing as much as anyone. We wont have a true clue who is good or bad until at least 6 weeks in.

The trick is not minding
This isn't Fantasy Football. You're fine. PW is dead last and has as good of chance winning the whole.thing as much as anyone. We wont have a true clue who is good or bad until at least 6 weeks in.
Yeah, I just got take your advice and remember it’s a long season yet. Tomorrow will be interesting, considering there’s only a handful of games.

The trick is not minding
Made the most with what little I had today. Broke 60. I aim to climb back up into contention within the next month or so.
It’s duck hunting season….

Also, sorry to reject St Helens Spruces trade offer, as I always feel bad rejecting them, but I want to see if I can find some SP off of waivers first before I consider trading away what’s looking like one of my few strengths.

Side note: Holds seem pretty difficult to achieve for some reason*, is it just me?

*unless your team is St Helens Spruces, who has 8(!) holds already. 🤨

A system of cells interlinked

Side note: Holds seem pretty difficult to achieve for some reason*, is it just me?
Saves are harder, I think, as there are less guys overall who have that dedicated position, while multiple dudes on a team can collect holds. The middle relievers will start to shake out over the next couple of weeks. The true gems are steady holds guys who collect random saves over the season, as well.

Speaking of that, I am glad to see my buddy Danny Hudson back in form in middle relief in LA. I was bummed when I had to drop him in 2022 due to injury. He was keeping my WHIP low, and I took a hit in that area after his departure.

There's a quirk of language that might obscure the question and/or answer.

Saves are rarer, because only the winning team gets one and they can only get one when the game ends, so at most you can have one per game. Holds, there is no such limit, multiple pitchers can have holds. You can even get holds in games your team doesn't end up winning. But saves might be easier to "find" in some sense because teams announce "closers" and almost never talk the same way about setup men or middle relievers. It's more situational. So holds are both more plentiful but harder to predict on a day to day basis.

All that said, sometimes you'll just have weeks where there's a lot of saves and not a lot of holds, or vice-versa. It's mostly just noise. I mean, I just drafted a closer higher than I ever have, literally the best closer in the game right now, and he doesn't have a single save yet. Baseball be silly.

I really cannot overstate how long the season is, particularly in relation to how it feels day in and day out. A week of a guy being on the bench feels like an eternity when you're getting nothing from his spot, but that one week is like 4% of the season.

I think Yodas most impressive season as a Manager was a season he didnt win, but placed second. No I'm not kissing Chris's ass so he doesn't ban me like he probably should have years ago. This was the season Mikey won with Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera. From what I remember he was a juggernaut from beginning to end, and all the negative energy and luck seemed to go to Yodas crew. They were dead last with no pulse or hope going into the all star break.

It seemed the Force had finally abandoned the Muppet, and you know what he did? Nothing! Absolutely nothing. He told me all his guys were playing way beneath their histories and projections, so best to wait it out as any trade or two wouldn't have mattered. Sure enough, after the All Star break he surged like a tsunami. From last to 2nd inside of 6 weeks, but sadly Mikeys draft blessing was meant to be, and he won as Cabrera and his roster entire never cooled.

Over a decade in this league and there are only 3 seasons I remember vividly. 2011 when I won by gabbing guys in streaks for the weeks I played them, also the last Head to Head season we ever had. The season where I had the draft of drafts, was 1st place with death grip stranglehold, then traded my players away for a bunch of Rays, and then the season Mikey won but is only remembered for the silver medalists comeback.

This is a patient mans game. Fantasy Football is a great movie, but Fantasy Baseball is a great long book. Don't try and read the ending first, just be patient and let it play out.

The trick is not minding
Scoring seems to really fluctuate even after games have ended. I went to bed with 65.5 points. Woke up and I’m at 62. Do they do recalculate the scores often or something?

Scoring seems to really fluctuate even after games have ended. I went to bed with 65.5 points. Woke up and I’m at 62. Do they do recalculate the scores often or something?
No, I don't think so. Are you sure all the games were over? Not just your games, either, but literally every MLB game, since your rankings can go down based on other teams even when yours are over for the day.

West coast games end at like 1:00 AM ET. I routinely go to bed with different standings than I wake up with.

The trick is not minding
No, I don't think so. Are you sure all the games were over? Not just your games, either, but literally every MLB game. West coast games end at like 1:00 AM ET. I routinely go to bed with different standings than I wake up with.
It was at 2 AM. I had Melendez in my lineup, and he was due to be dropped out for a pickup on waiver wire exchange this morning, which I wonder if that somehow effected the score afterwards? It weird, because it’s similar to what happened the other night when I moved Darvish out after games had ended, again late in the morning (like, 2 or 3 am) for wheeler who was due to start. Switching Darvish back in changed it back.

Hmmm. Never seen anything like that in all my years playing here. At least nothing that wasn't explained by the stuff already mentioned.

If you're willing to take screenshots and retrace steps next time I'd be happy to investigate.

Right now my best guess is that it happens if you change your lineup with the StatTracker already open and don't refresh it, in which case it'll calculate what would have happened if you had kept the original lineup.

The trick is not minding
Right now my best guess is that it happens if you change your lineup with the StatTracker already open and don't refresh it, in which case it'll calculate what would have happened if you had kept the original lineup.
I’m inclined to believe 62 is the correct score, and where I started the day at. 62 was where I ended when I checked after the games had ended sometime between 12:30-1:00 am.
It wasn’t until about and hour later or so, when I was checking the standings and looking at our overal totals in each category when I noticed I was now at 65.5. Opening stat tracker revealed the same total: 65.5. I thought it was a weird sudden change after the games had already ended.
62 is probably where it should have been to begin with, so no idea why it would change like that.