#20 Very Possibly
#21 In A Lonely Place (33)
#22 Doubtful
#23 pretty f@ckin doubtful
#24 The Killing (52)
#25 Fingers crossed for 1 pointer category
Watched: 42/80

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Rio Bravo was a pretty good film, but a little bit of a letdown anyway after so much "masterpiece!" cries I heard for all these years I haven't seen it. I eventually ended up giving it a 4.0, but it may as well be a strong 3.5 film. There are better westerns. Even classical westerns.

I guess I have to rewatch Tokyo Story and then possibly I will even rate it 5.0. I still prefer some other Ozu films (including 3 from the 50's), but it's a masterpiece nevertheless.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Rio Bravo is a film which elicits great love from its fans. I think more of it now than I once did - I'll even watch it every time it's on if there isn't something else I haven't seen. But I still don't see why so many people find it so cool or something to "hang out" with (other than my having it on in the background ), and I grew up with it. I guess I don't belong to the cult of Hawks, even if I think he's a good director and the auteur theory makes watching films more interesting and significant. Most of those comments could probably apply to Ozu's Tokyo Story, often most people's entryway to Ozu. Most people know that Ozu's technique is deceptively simple and that many of his films are about the everyday lives and worries of families, yet all his movies tend to explore their themes in profound, meaningful ways. Needless to say, they weren't on my list.

I had Rio Bravo all the way down at #24, which means eleven of mine have shown up already, with eleven more to show up in the top 20.

My List:

6. Pickup on South Street (#72)
8. Mon Oncle (#67)
11. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#37)
12. Wages of Fear (#50)
13. From Here to Eternity (#76)
16. Stalag 17 (#48)
18. La Strada (#41)
19. The Killing (#52)
21. Room at the Top (#73)
23. Les Diaboliques (#57)
24. Rio Bravo (#22)

More from my list! I was hoping for a slightly higher finish for Tokyo Story, but 21st is a good result nonetheless.

My list so far, with predictions:
1. Top 10
2. Tokyo Story (#21)
3. Top 5
4. The Man Who Knew Too Much (#47)
5. Top 5
6. Floating Weeds (#78)
7. Top 20
8. Won't make it
9. Tokyo Twilight (#91)
10. Won't make it
11. Won't make it
12. The Killing (#52)
13. Won't make it
14. Throne of Blood (#38)
15. Top 20
16. Forbidden Planet (#55)
17. Top 20
18. The Day the Earth Stood Still (#36)
19. Top 10
20. Top 5
21. Rebel Without a Cause (#39)
22. Top 20
23. Won't make it
24. Won't make it
25. Probably a one-pointer

I expected Tokyo Story to be higher. I suppose it is pleebs like me who find Ozu pretty light fare that it's not. It was hanging on to the last few on my list for a bit but ended up being a late cut.

Rio Bravo is on my list of shame. Hope to get to it soon.

Coming down the stretch...

Seen: 43/80 (+6)
My List: 12/25 (+4)

My List: 12/25
1. Tokyo Story (21)
4. Pather Panchali (40)
9. Wages of Fear (50)
10. Wild Strawberries (23)
11. Nights of Cabiria (71)
12. Tokyo Twilight (91)
14. Night of the Hunter (25)
16. Sansho the Bailiff (34)
18. Rififi (53)
19. Hiroshima, Mon Amour (75)
24. Witness for the Prosecution (24)
25. Throne of Blood (38)

4 of the last 5.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Two more movies that I've seen and liked, but I didn't love either, so neither made my list. I liked Rio Bravo more than Tokyo Story, but they're both good movies.

Rio Bravo is a fine movie but didn't make my list. I still enjoy it immensely. My favorite moment from the film is the gif in the post.

I think I had Tokyo Story at #12.

So Pickpocket isn't going to make it huh? I had it high.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Care for some gopher?
Only seen Tokyo Story. I was a bit underwhelmed but did like it.

Not seen Rio Bravo, looking forward to it though as i've really liked the 3 Hawks films i've seen. Tokyo Story was my #7. I wrote this about it:

Tokyo Story - 8.5/10

Woah very powerful film, I came very close to crying at a film for the first time in ages. Quite a bit of it resonated with me. I think everyone is a little guilty of neglecting certain loved ones once we start building our own lives. At times it was a little hard to watch the parents being spoken about, passed around, treated like an inconvenience, etc. Even though it clearly wasn't done out of malice. I think this shows Oz us power as a storyteller that he can make such a simple story seemingly mean so much.

Setsuko Hara was delightful, it was nice to see her character pay so much attention, take days off work, etc to spend time with her in laws when their biological children never made the same effort. It was also touching that she felt she was being selfish, as she was lonely. Anyway fantastic film, completely deserving of its big reputation IMO. Looking forward to more from Ozu think I'll watch Late Spring in the next few days.
My List - 10/25

04.Night and Fog
07.Tokyo Story
09.A Place in the Sun
10.Wild Strawberries
14.Witness For The Prosecution
15.An Affair To Remember
17.Throne of Blood
19.From Here To Eternity
22.Anatomy of a Murder
23.Invasion of the Body Snatchers

I really ought to get around to Tokyo Story (and Ozu in general) at some point. Rio Bravo was another that was played a lot in my childhood but has not been revisited as an adult (I'm not big into westerns if you can't tell) and was therefore never in with a shot for me.