Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Third Man (1949)

Extremely fitting final action scene ending and location. Great to see all the Gösser beer ads, it's one of my favorites. Movie was well assembled. I especially enjoyed the similarities between the opening and closing scenes.

Why is John L. Balderston billed as a screenwriter when he's clearly a butcher by trade? Of all the grave digging involved with this property, that of Mary Shelley's certainly had it the worst. With the brunt of the source material consumed by the original, the leftovers are clumsily stitched together for an utterly contrived sequel. The thematic weight of the original is absent. The tone is wildly inconsistent. This is quite the hatchet job, though a more forgiving viewer might be able to accept it for what it is as opposed to what it's following up.

Aloha (2015)

I have to return some videotapes...
The Light Between Oceans -

Very slow film and if you're a fan of Cianfrance's prior works it's drastically different, so take that how you will.

The Neon Demon. I have a different view to the reviewer above. I thought i twas sensational. In 20 years this will be a classic. It might even be Winding-Refn's masterpiece. It is possibly the best looking film I've ever seen. The subtle use of colours and the not so subtle use of colours are amazingly well done. Plus Cliff Martinez' score really nails it.

Yes the whole of the second half of the movie is perhaps open to interpretation, but isn't that the fun of it? Isn't that the whole point? We know the main theme is narcissism in a dog eat dog world. So why not have fun with it rather than tell a straight drama? There are elements of witchcraft, the occult, eating disorders, and perhaps even purgatory and the religious angle. It is a superb film. Jenna Malone as Ruby steals it for me. She's eerily brilliant. I would give this a 9 out of 10. I was mesmerized for 2 hours and will be thinking about it for weeks.

I'm guessing those people had their own personal problems, thus looking for someone to "lead" them. Some people are so lonely they'll go along with anything, even if they knew horrible things were happening.

I've always thought it would be interesting to have so many different kinds of communities. If I had billions, I'd buy up real-estate and bring in like-minded people and try to live as happily as possible.

Are there any decent commune documentaries? I remember trying to look for some ten years ago, and they seemed more like businesses. Rent was at least $400/month plus a bunch of work and a lot of rules.
I assume you've seen the Jonestown documentary?

The Neon Demon (2016)
+
I enjoyed soundtrack, visuals, Elle and atmosphere, but I still thought that movie is kinda silly & a bit boring at some points.
Worth watching.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Get the gringo (2012)

Somthing akin to Payback, but not as good

I've allways been a sucker for a Gibson film; Payback, The patriot, Lethal weapon, Braveheart, Mad max, Maverick, favourites all. Even in latter years when his rather public outburst have rendered him hard to hire he's poped up from time to time and I've seen them. None of them has been as good as those mentioned above, but this one came...well, not close but considerably less far.

Gibson plays a robber who, after crashing through the us-mexico border in a car with 2 million dollars in a attempt to flee his pursuers, gets caught by the mexican federales and thrown into prison. There, he'll have to survive by his wits and skills while also trying to get his money back.

My first thought held true throughout the movie: "Huh, this sounds alot like Payback." A lone figure tries to get back the money he's owed and get revenge on a former partner who stole his wife (yes, he has a partner who betrayed him and stole his wife in this movie too). The only differenceses are setting and a slight uptick in comedy. And quality, of course. Payback was way better in my opinion. I'd never seen a noir film before I saw Payback, but in my head this was what a noir was; a shlubby anti-hero who's inner monolouge works overtime as narrator and who's out for revenge on someone who wronged him. I was simply waiting for a Chandler-esque opening line like this: "I was nursing the mother of all hangovers from the night before when a gorgeous dame walked into my office and started the waterworks." Time has proven me wrong on that account, but I still consider Payback a noir for that reason. But back to the movie at hand.

While in prison, Gibson befriends a young boy and his mother. The boy, it turns out, is little more than a walking organ bag for the top boss in the prison and soon Gibson must make a choice: the money or the boy.

It's a brisk 90 mins that whent by quickly. Shlock action that can be enjoyed a couple of times before you get bored and go looking for somthing else.

The Killing -

Good film. Loved the visuals. Personally i didn't find the characters or story compelling enough to call this any more than good for me. There was nothing really bad either i just wasn't that invested in it.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Dangerous Game

The darkest "film about the making of a film" I've ever seen.

New Rose Hotel*

Masterpiece.

I have to return some videotapes...
The Invitation (2016) -
++

Feels similar, but in a way different. Felt pretty fresh technically, wasn't a huge fan of the ending though.

Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (aka Turkish Star Wars) (1982) - 4.3/10

The Cantina Scene (he don't need no stinkin' lightsaber)

This movie is nutso.

Shamelessly borrows footage from A New Hope and uses it to fuel it's own bizarro story line. It also pillages music from Raiders of the Lost Ark and other movies.

Scarily, I almost liked it more than the first two prequel movies.