Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Have not seen it yet but lets me honest.....there are some people who will LOVE IT prior to even walking into the theater. Their mind is already made up because they are "fans".

Jon
That was me before Phantom Menace when I was 16 years old, took me a few years to hate it. The fanboy was strong in me then.

I would like to take this opportunity to share my only complaints here, and not about any of problems I have with the film. Those will come later. It's regarding the consistent bitching from fans and critics about these extremely petty things.

WARNING: "MAJOR LAST JEDI SPOILERS" spoilers below
First off: F*ck Snoke. I'm glad he's dead. I hate to break it to the fanboys on Reddit, but this story isn't about Luke or Palpatine 2.0; It’s about KYLO and REY. Point blank. Not a combination of the 4 that are intertwined. Also, I wasn’t really dying to find out Snoke's Identity or Backstory. People are bitching like “uggh, how can I care about a character’s death If I don’t know anything about him?” He’s f**king dead. Too Bad. So Sad. Move on. And the reason why Darth Maul's death was aggravating is because the rest of the trilogy kept killing villain after villain with no real antagonist that wasn't lurking in the shadows. You had Maul kill Qui-Gon--Obi Wan's master... wouldn't that be a perfect motivator for Kenobi? Thus resulting in a great villain that'll last for the next 2 films? Now, we're already at the second film in this new trilogy. We don't need an extra villain (especially If he's freakin Discount Palpatine) just because he looks oh-so-spooky and you can endlessly speculate on "what his TRUE identity is."

BECAUSE BEN SOLO IS OUR VILLAIN YOU IDIOTS.

You don't have to kill Snoke so soon though, and in such a weak way where the only way to beat him is to trick him. You don't have to kill Luke either, those two could and should as far as I'm concerned have faced each other, even in this movie as I've said previously it's the only Star Wars ep lacking a true Lightsaber duel. Then you can move onto Rey/Ren in the next one. I'm not so sure Ben Solo will end up a villain either, its looking like a weird romance between them.

And there's a reason why the "Snoke Identity Confirmed became such a big meme that essentially pointed and laughed at the fans for their wacky theorizations. Granted, I'm a bit guilty of one myself. But you've never seen me talk to an overwhelming extent while OCDing my "theories” about and what not. Plus, your reactions to my “Theory” post essentially proved my aforementioned point of an oversaturation perpetrated by the fanbase. It honestly feels like you can’t speculate or have any fun unless these YouTube 'Click Baiting' fanboys analyze every spec of every little detail. It’s getting tiresome.

When I first learned of Rey’s parentage, I was shocked but didn’t know how to feel. Letting it sink in for a period of time, made my realize that this is utter brilliance. I’m aware Lucas wanted to keep the saga “Skywalker” oriented. But making her a complete nobody that’s essentially been a bastard her entire life, adds way more strength and complexity to her character that didn’t need a connection to the other Trilogies in order to achieve. Also, If this really feels like a letdown after such of big deal was made of Rey’s identity; then listen here: Rian Johnson took the proclaimed "MYSTERY BOX" that J.J Abrams threw into the Lucasfilm Hat… then Rian f**ked the box up It's the a**. Then he shoved it up Abram's a**, while he constitutionally f**ked Abrams in the a**, while the box and the hat was still up his a**. Then he went ahead and actually DID something with the characters, while moving the films in a very bold and new direction. (Whilst taking massive liberties with the seeds that J.J planted.) I highly applaud him for that.

All annoying rambling aside, this film (so far) feels like it’s garnered the reception that 'Empire' got in 1980. The same bitchy fans/critics who seem to be the vocal portion, will probably die down too as time goes by. In the future, I presume some might even put this film above the Original 'Star Wars' from 1977, but they won't be the majority. Empire will probably forever reign as the best in almost everyone’s eyes. However, I believe this film will eventually be recognized as the biggest game changer in the entire Star Wars Franchise. And for good reason.
I don't think you are right at all about Empire whining fanboys and how that pertains to now. Empire is fantastic, Interesting side characters Boba Fett, Lando Carlissian , a believable Millenium Falcon fault, not the silly out of fuel, that ship is faster than ours nonsensical chase, can only make one more jump. Legendary training sequence on Dagobah and my all time fav film scene, raising the X-Wing from the Swamp. The legendary showdown and twist. Nothing from TLJ compares to any of this.

WARNING: "episode 9" spoilers below
Snoke vs Luke: Force-Ghost Face-off!
WARNING: "ggkgkjkggkgk" spoilers below
Nah Yoda ghost would come back and own Snoke
WARNING: "the big scene" spoilers below
oh no no no, he'll be busy with Sidious, Qui-Gon will have another crack at Maul, Kenobi vs Dooku, it's a force-ghost battle royale!
(It's a shame we can't have Sebastian Shaw vs Hayden Christiansen as Anakin battles himself

To put it in perspective in terms of critic scores vs public scores. Using Metacritic.

The Force Awakens- Critics 81 (out of 100) Public 6.9 (out of 10)

Revenge of the Sith- Critics 68 Public 7.6

Attack of the Clones- Critics 54 Public 5.9

Empire Strikes Back- Critics 81 (not many reviews for obv reasons) Public 9.0 (over 1000 reviews)

The Last Jedi- Critics 86 Public 5.3

You cant really use the argument, "people only rate it if they hate it" as TFA received A LOT of hate but still scored 6.9 from public, but a 5.3 (and going lower from yesterday) from the fans suggests they hate it, that's a score from 700+ reviewers so far, TFA had over 7000 user reviews.

Holy **** as I type this it's down to a 5.2. The critics are way off on this one it seems, corporate whores.
Exactly, TLJ IMDB score has been dropping on a DAILY basis. Sure, that is probably because haters don't have life and create multi account to rate the movie 1/10.

I don't think you are right at all about Empire whining fanboys and how that pertains to now. Empire is fantastic, Interesting side characters Boba Fett, Lando Carlissian , a believable Millenium Falcon fault, not the silly out of fuel, that ship is faster than ours nonsensical chase, can only make one more jump. Legendary training sequence on Dagobah and my all time fav film scene, raising the X-Wing from the Swamp. The legendary showdown and twist. Nothing from TLJ compares to any of this.
I have seen people who hate it so much by listing a bunch of reasons why they don't like the film, though I haven't seen people who love it so much by stating why they love it.

Disney better get there money back from that director after watching that trash.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
To put it in perspective in terms of critic scores vs public scores. Using Metacritic.

Empire Strikes Back- Critics 81 (not many reviews for obv reasons) Public 9.0 (over 1000 reviews)

You cant really use the argument, "people only rate it if they hate it" as TFA received A LOT of hate but still scored 6.9 from public, but a 5.3 (and going lower from yesterday) from the fans suggests they hate it, that's a score from 700+ reviewers so far, TFA had over 7000 user reviews.

Holy **** as I type this it's down to a 5.2. The critics are way off on this one it seems, corporate whores.
First of all, I don't consider metacritic remotely credible, so I could care less what either their critics or public think.

Second of all, what does this have to do with anything I said? You think showing me that other people hate something will change my mind. I would be the "corporate whore" as you eloquently put it if that were the case.

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
Actual user "review" from meta: "Luke said "What did you think, that i was going to save the day with a LASER SWORD?" Not a real Star Wars movie. It felt like a bad Saturday Night Live skit. Nothing good can come from this. Rian Johnson ruined the new trilogy. He destroyed everything that could have been great. He can suck a D."

Yeah, I totally consider this a valid and balanced opinion. I'm gonna have to change my mind now, I guess.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)

This is what happened with TFA. Amazing critic scores which in turn conned the public now the public aren’t buying it. I remember s lot of excuses for TFA...it’s setting up for the next one etc, well look what happened. It’s a ruined franchise and they will continue to release it once a year and it will continue to make money with slowly declining returns until its dead.

The formula is, get the critics early viewings, have them write positive reviews, make money at the box office, nothing else matters. The story, the characters, the directors, doesn’t matter, their formula works.

First of all, I don't consider metacritic remotely credible, so I could care less what either their critics or public think.

Second of all, what does this have to do with anything I said? You think showing me that other people hate something will change my mind. I would be the "corporate whore" as you eloquently put it if that were the case.
Critizize Metacritic all you want but I don't think there exists a better way to rate a movie or a game, TV etc than a consensus score given out by the public. The score for TLJ is dire and getting worse. The scores for the rest of the series are about right, why should TLJ be any different?

I don't care if it doesn't change your mind or if you love TLJ, good for you. For myself TLJ has been an enormous disappointment and frankly huge disrespect has been done to Star Wars and a character beloved by millions of fans.

Does George Lucks look like a genius again?

I felt like I was watching a B movie on SYFY. Rogue One was the best of the 3.

Serenity happens to be on TV at the moment, now there's a hell of a space saga with interesting characters, even if you never saw Firefly, great story, fantastic villain and better than every SW movie since 1983.

Think I've moved from initial shock and bemusement to a cold rage. **** you Disney.

Serenity happens to be on TV at the moment, now there's a hell of a space saga with interesting characters, even if you never saw Firefly, great story, fantastic villain and better than every SW movie since 1983.

Think I've moved from initial shock and bemusement to a cold rage. **** you Disney.
Firefly was awesome!

I wasn't talking about "Empire whining fanboys." The same exact things people said about Empire decades ago and when it was first released, are being said now with this film.

Also, the aspects that make Empire fantastic aren't things you can just pinpoint and say "that was great!" They're conflicts, revelations, character arcs, low points, complex themes,. All of which TLJ had, to a much bigger and greater extent. Empire required multiple viewing for some; and the same thing will be required for this, in time.

And to clarify; I do NOT believe this film is better than Empire, nor the first Star Wars. However, I believe It’s way better than people give it credit for.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

I seriously can't remember the last time a Star Wars film took such a bold and new direction since Empire.

The hate’s got me hyped.
Same. I'm ready to be completely wrong but i'm guessing the controversy is Rey doing something other than being a footnote, the controversy last time was her being able to fight Kylo despite the film going out its way to explain why she could fight him it was never enough.