Joker origin Movie

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I guess so. But do a lot of people really care about the Oscars though? People will still pay to see a movie regardless if it wins or not, won't they?

A bucket of anxiety
I guess so. But do a lot of people really care about the Oscars though? People will still pay to see a movie regardless if it wins or not, won't they?
I don't think I've ever watched an Oscar show

The majority of the planet are lazy and want things to come to them, rather than do some research and find out what they really like. So they read that a film won a famous award, and think it must be good. So they watch it.

It's tragic.

A bucket of anxiety
The majority of the planet are lazy and want things to come to them, rather than do some research and find out what they really like. So they read that a film won a famous award, and think it must be good. So they watch it.

It's tragic.
I mean I don't blame people for going by other's opinions because they're trying to avoid wasting time and money. They just need better sources, like a critic who matches their tastes. Plus, I really fail to see what research is supposed to prove. Miss Vicky was prodding me for not doing research before watching the Joker and I fail to see what that would've accomplished other than spoiling it for myself or giving me more unreasonable expectations.

I mean I don't blame people for going by other's opinions because they're trying to avoid wasting time and money. They just need better sources, like a critic who matches their tastes. Plus, I really fail to see what research is supposed to prove. Miss Vicky was prodding me for not doing research before watching the Joker and I fail to see what that would've accomplished other than spoiling it for myself or giving me more unreasonable expectations.
Not the actual film plot - research wise, but things like aesthetics or tone or content. If you thought a film was beautiful looking - seek out who the cinematographer was and go watch more of his stuff. Same with Directors. People are too lazy to do this and just want to have things spoon fed to them. My mother literally only watches movies that have been up for awards. I can't reason with her.

"These are experts" she says. "They must know more than you or I", "It's won 29 Oscars so it must be good." as I try in vain to get her to watch a Belgian movie about child loss and Bluegrass music.

I know so many people who will never go to watch a movie if they don't know any of the actors in the film (Nobody would come to watch Midsommar with me). That boggles my tiny mind. Where would we be if we only watched movies with a few select actors in?

As George Carlin said - "Think of how stupid the average person is, then realize half of them are stupider than that.".

I've forgotten what my original point was now anyway.

Miss Vicky was prodding me for not doing research before watching the Joker and I fail to see what that would've accomplished other than spoiling it for myself or giving me more unreasonable expectations.
It would've given you more reasonable expectations. From what I gather, you went in there expecting more of a standard comic book movie, even though the trailers made it pretty clear that wasn't what you were going to get.

I watched the trailers and went in expecting to get a far more realistic take on the iconic villain than we've previously seen and that's what I got.

A bucket of anxiety
It would've given you more reasonable expectations. From what I gather, you went in there expecting more of a standard comic book movie, even though the trailers made it pretty clear that wasn't what you were going to get.

I watched the trailers and went in expecting to get a far more realistic take on the iconic villain than we've previously seen and that's what I got.
Well, I mean I wouldn't consider trailers "research," they're selling the movie, it doesn't really tell you the true quality or at least what you're going to think of it.

A bucket of anxiety
Not the actual film plot - research wise, but things like aesthetics or tone or content. If you thought a film was beautiful looking - seek out who the cinematographer was and go watch more of his stuff. Same with Directors. People are too lazy to do this and just want to have things spoon fed to them. My mother literally only watches movies that have been up for awards. I can't reason with her.

"These are experts" she says. "They must know more than you or I", "It's won 29 Oscars so it must be good." as I try in vain to get her to watch a Belgian movie about child loss and Bluegrass music.

I know so many people who will never go to watch a movie if they don't know any of the actors in the film (Nobody would come to watch Midsommar with me). That boggles my tiny mind. Where would we be if we only watched movies with a few select actors in?

As George Carlin said - "Think of how stupid the average person is, then realize half of them are stupider than that.".

I've forgotten what my original point was now anyway.
I think I get what you're saying. That people won't take the time to find something good to watch, right?

I think I get what you're saying. That people won't take the time to find something good to watch, right?
Yes. We are the minority on this site. We're all fans of film who seek out our favourites.

Most people just choose what is 5 star rated on their streaming platform.

Well, I mean I wouldn't consider trailers "research," they're selling the movie, it doesn't really tell you the true quality or at least what you're going to think of it.
I’d consider watching the trailer to be the bare minimum of research and would give you at least an idea of a film’s tone and direction.

A bucket of anxiety
I’d consider watching the trailer to be the bare minimum of research and would give you at least an idea of a film’s tone and direction.
Fair enough, but as I said before, trailers has had a bad habit of revealing too much, but at the same time, I suppose that trope has been dying down so maybe I'll start watching them again. Plus I think going into a film completely blind is the most fun.

...trailers has had a bad habit of revealing too much...
I never watch trailers as they often spoil the movie. Either that or they make a movie seem like it's going to be very different than it actually is. I'm not taking about The Joker specifically, just trailers in general.

I never watch trailers as they often spoil the movie. Either that or they make a movie seem like it's going to be very different than it actually is. I'm not taking about The Joker specifically, just trailers in general.
Suit yourself, but I wouldn't spend money - especially at the theater - to see a movie without at least watching the trailer first.

Also, I may or may not have just purchased tickets to see it again tomorrow.

3rd time.
Also have already pre-ordered the blu-ray on Amazon.

I think I might just like this movie a little bit.

The trick is not minding
Suit yourself, but I wouldn't spend money - especially at the theater - to see a movie without at least watching the trailer first.
I’m very choosy when it comes to watching trailers, as Citizen is correct about trailers giving away too much, especially in regards to certain blockbusters.
But watching the trailer for The Irishman, for example, gives nothing away that we wouldn’t have already guessed or read about beforehand.

I’m very choosy when it comes to watching trailers, as Citizen is correct about trailers giving away too much, especially in regards to certain blockbusters.
But watching the trailer for The Irishman, for example, gives nothing away that we wouldn’t have already guessed or read about beforehand.
We've had different discussion thread here about trailers and a lot of people have said trailers give away too much. But if I was at the movie theater and trailers were playing, I would watch them. But I never watch trailers online before watching a movie, just because they often give away subplots that I'd prefer to be surprised about.

The trick is not minding
We've had different discussion thread here about trailers and a lot of people have said trailers give away too much. But if I was at the movie theater and trailers were playing, I would watch them. But I never watch trailers online before watching a movie, just because they often give away subplots that I'd prefer to be surprised about.
Totally agreed. Funny anecdote regarding Gene Siskel, the late critic, possibly apocryphal....he used to refuse to enter the theater until after trailers were shown due to spoilers

Totally agreed. Funny anecdote regarding Gene Siskel, the late critic, possibly apocryphal....he used to refuse to enter the theater until after trailers were shown due to spoilers
Good old Gene! I use to love watching him and Ebert on their show.