Best Director 2004?

Tools    

Heard the oscars are coming up and this thought came. Your free to post up any directors you think will have a great chance for grabbing the glorious award.
Out of all the movies I have seen in 2004, I believe Wolfgang Peterson will get it for "Troy"(not really the best movie ever; quite some flaws but a brilliant movie and much, much more superior among other epic disasters like "Alexander"

Others I may have overlooked so just let me know on your insights.

Update

CRAP!!!!! I'm REALLY SORRY! I posted in wrong place.

Originally Posted by MOVIE_bug
Heard the oscars are coming up and this thought came...I believe Wolfgang Peterson will get it for "Troy"....

That's HYSTERICAL! Yeah, it's either going to be Wolfgang Peterson or whoever directed 50 First Dates. Can't hardly wait to find out!!!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thats a good one, If this he gets nominated I would like to see Michel Gondry get it for Eternal Sunshine.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

I would like to see Scorsese get it.

I have yet to see Troy so i can't say that Peterson doesn't deserve it but from the movies i have seen i would love to see Michel Gondry win it because Enternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a great movie.

The realistic short list for possible nominees has to be Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood, Mike Nichols, Alexander Payne, Bill Condon, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Mike Leigh, Pedro Almodovar, Mel Gibson, Michael Moore and maybe Taylor Hackford. Walter Salles, Marc Forster and Josh Marston have very outside chances too, though I wouldn't bet on any of 'em making the cut.

Believe me, I'd love to see Michel Gondry get a nomination...I just don't think it's very likely. Hell, I'd really LOVE to see Lars von Trier get nominated too...but Wolfgang Peterson and whoever helmed The Whole Ten Yards have a better chance (and to be clear, they don't have any chance at all).

I'll be shocked if the five eventual nominees aren't found in the first eleven names I listed. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find Scorsese, Eastwood, Nichols and Payne be four of them.

Wolfgang Peterson winning best director of the year? ya right, i thought his Troy tied with Alexander as some of the worst movies of the years. but that's my opinion.

Forget the Oscars. The best directors of the year were Linklater and Gondry and neither of them are going to win it.

[I've not yet seen The Aviator, Sideways or The Life Aquatic.]

Yeah I'd love to see Lars up as well the academy has to notcie these films because there amazing compared to some of the crap they put up.

The Director's Guild Nominations were announced today:
Clint Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby), Martin Scorsese (The Aviator), Alexander Payne (Sideways), Taylor Hackford (Ray) and Marc Forster (Finding Neverland).

I expect the Oscar nominees will be those first three names for absolute sure, with Mike Nichols, Bill Condon, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Pedro Almodóvar, Terry George or Mike Leigh replacing one or both of the other two.

For a frame of reference, in recent years the DGA vs. Oscar breakdown was (with winners in boldface)...

DGA: Clint Eastwood, Sofia Coppola, Gary Ross, Peter Weir and Peter Jackson
OSCARS: Clint Eastwood, Sofia Coppola, Fernando Meirelles, Peter Weir and Peter Jackson

DGA: Stephen Daldry, Martin Scorsese, Peter Jackson, Rob Marshall and Roman Polanski
OSCARS: Stephen Daldry, Martin Scorsese, Rob Marshall, Pedro Almodóvar and Roman Polanski

DGA: Peter Jackson, Christopher Nolan, Ridley Scott, Ron Howard and Baz Luhrmann
OSCARS: Peter Jackson, Robert Altman, Ridley Scott, Ron Howard and David Lynch

DGA: Ang Lee, Cameron Crowe, Ridley Scott, Steven Soderbergh (Erin Brockovich) and Steven Soderbergh (Traffic)
OSCARS: Ang Lee, Stephen Daldry, Ridley Scott, Steven Soderbergh (Erin Brockovich) and Steven Soderbergh (Traffic)

Neutral Milk Hotel
Yes I have Love for Eternal Sunshine and I am A Jackass haha Holden. No Hard feelings. But I am really thinking that Mel Gibson and Michel Gondry are the two who deserve it most but thats not what the academy cares about. Hasnt Clint eastwood been nominated numerous times over the years?
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
But I am really thinking that Mel Gibson and Mel Gibson are the two who deserve it most
Me too, they are both so diverse and different, like to oppsoing ends of a prism of color.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Me too, they are both so diverse and different, like to oppsoing ends of a prism of color.
hahahaha thats funny

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
Yes I have Love for Eternal Sunshine and I am A Jackass haha Holden. No Hard feelings. But I am really thinking that Mel Gibson and Michel Gondry are the two who deserve it most but thats not what the academy cares about. Hasnt Clint eastwood been nominated numerous times over the years?
Not counting his almost sure nomination this year for Million Dollar Baby, Clint Eastwood has been nominated twice as Best Director: for 1992's Unforgiven (which he won) and last year for Mystic River (which he lost, to Peter Jackson).

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
What I don't understand is why Jean-Pierre Jeunet wasn't nominated in 1997 for Alien: Resurrection....

history *is* moralizing
Jeunet and Almodóvar are overrated, and very much so...

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by chicagofrog
Jeunet and Almodóvar are overrated, and very much so...

This is horse****.

history *is* moralizing
sorry i don't feel sorry for not liking them.
for me, they didn't improve with time, and i prefer a lot their first movies.