Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Inside Llewyn Davis

Ah man, what did I miss? I hated this movie and I'm a hard core musician who loves all of the great folk artists. I just could not stand the conceited tone of this film. It was so hipster-ish for lack of a better word. It made me want to go and watch The Rose just to cleanse my palate and I didn't even think The Rose was that darned good. Maybe I am missing something but I was almost pulling my hair out. I was bored and upset that this movie was even made. I usually have nothing but high praise for anything Coen brothers related. This is easily my least favorite film of theirs. No competition. And I also happen to really like The Ladykillers so maybe I should see a doctor?

Inside Llewyn Davis
I loved it.

THIS IS THE WORST PIECE OF GARBAGE EVEN AMONG THE LITTERAL GARBAGE!

Really, I've better things to do in life. I endured until that dude got out the pool, but no further. I DO NOT want to look at a guy wiggling his *ss in front of another guy and turning his head around giving him a seductive look!

I know I haven't seen the entire movie, let alone the franchise, so technically I'm not entitled to review it, but it was unbearable.

F*!

!

btw notice how it's pretty clear that John's playing the guitar. You can recognize his unique style.
Yeah, I was pretty sure it was him. Pretty cool little tribute they did.

Nausicaä, I saw that the movie Swung that you mentioned, has Elena Anaya in it. She's a very pretty woman. I've only seen her in Wonder Woman and half her face was covered, kind of like The Phantom of the Opera in that, so you didn't get the full effect of her loveliness. I'll have to seek out more movies that she stars in. Also, the Never Let Go movie cover you posted...I swear, I thought that was Jennifer Aniston with the gun on the cover! I thought, "No way!" Then I looked it up on IMDB and saw that she looked very different. Kind of relieved, because I can't see Aniston doing a film like that...I'd be forced to see it just for sh**s and giggles.

movies can be okay...
Distant (2002):

I'm contemplating whether this has the best cinematography I've ever seen in a film...It's really good, and go figure, the main character is a photographer, not to mention, this is from the same director of "Three Monkeys" and "Winter Sleep", which are both stunning. So yeah, it would be an understatement to say I was just blown away by the film.

Mahmut, a lonely photographer who has become distant from the people around him, especially after his divorce from a woman he's not completely over, and the visit of a broke cousin who is looking for a job in the city is just another brick to add on top of his internal condition, that pretty much resembles a high heap of debris.

Cousin Yusuf is a country mouse who has left his small town to seek a job in the city of Istanbul, contrary to Mahmut, he is family oriented, compassionate and vibrant of emotions, but finds difficulty fitting into this foreign place he intruded.

The slowly built up tension between the cousins leads to a predictable and expected clash, a clash between two different yet identical worlds. From the surface, they're black and white, Mahmut is financially put together and socially capable which is what Yusuf lacks and craves, the latter can't even attempt to make a conversation with a woman, he is fearful of rejection, intimidated by the urban life styles, and alienated from the citizens, but he has ambition, passion and compassion, all things that Mahmut has lost.

Their personnel problems could be the other's solution, but they are so distant from each other that they can't even see that, why ? Is it because of shame ? Jealousy ? Fear ? All of the above ? Nuri Bilge Ceylan leaves so many details to pick up on so the viewer could not only hear what is not said, but also interoperate an answer to any confusion one can have, especially after the haunting ending.

I would call this a masterpiece, but I would rather watch it again first.

9/10
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Inside Llewyn Davis

Ah man, what did I miss? I hated this movie and I'm a hard core musician who loves all of the great folk artists. I just could not stand the conceited tone of this film. It was so hipster-ish for lack of a better word. It made me want to go and watch The Rose just to cleanse my palate and I didn't even think The Rose was that darned good. Maybe I am missing something but I was almost pulling my hair out. I was bored and upset that this movie was even made. I usually have nothing but high praise for anything Coen brothers related. This is easily my least favorite film of theirs. No competition. And I also happen to really like The Ladykillers so maybe I should see a doctor?
I don't get the love for it either.

Suspect's Reviews

Black Death

(Christopher Smith)

This is the third film from director Christopher Smith that I have seen, the other two being the disappointing Severance and the sometimes good, sometimes bad, Creep. Both of those films had some great elements, but ended up on the disappointing end of the scale. Black Death walks a fine line as well. Much like Nic Cage's sword flick Season of the Witch, Black Death is a little known film that deals with the black magic. Much to my surprise, the film decided to leave out a lot of the fight sequences one would expect from this type of story and instead relies on a tension, which was appreciative.

The plague is taking over England and there is word of a small village, untouched from the disease. A small group of men are sent to uncover the truth, they bring a young priest with them to find the way.

The film felt like the Wicker Man at parts and it seemed to forget the fact that it was a period piece. For those expecting something along the lines of Neil Marshall's Centurion, you'll probably be disappointed. This film has one battle sequence, which is relatively short. The rest of the film sees the men walk across the land to get to this one location. The climax of the film is actually well done and suspenseful, despite the lack of action for those seeking it.

The characters are one dimensional. The only one really given anything is the priest, played by a then non-famous Eddie Redmayne. He's in love with a young woman, but is confused about whether or not he should love her, or his faith. Religion and God are mentioned a bunch of times and it's actually quite a huge part of this film. The men believe they are sent on a mission in the name of God and the village they seek appears to worship no God. It dealt with religion a lot more than I expected it to, weaving it into the core themes of the film.

Black Death is a decent flick at best, it's much more focused on the story being told than trying to impress the viewer with some slick fighting sequences. This is both positive and negative because, even though I'm all for story, it does seem to drag on and on in a lot of places. No one is given more to do than what is required. This means we have your typical archetypes characters such as: the hero, wise-ass, inexperienced one, respected one, crazy one, etc. The film takes an odd twist in the last five or so minutes. I don't know if I like it or not. That will probably be the case with most people, a love it or hate it ending. I would recommend the film to those who like the genre, but don't expect a blood bath.

Blitz

(Elliott Lester)

I should have known Blitz was going to be your run of the mill Jason Statham movie, but at the same time it manages to be a little different. Different how might you ask? Take a charismatic lead, one who has the skills to fight and look like a badass while doing and throw all of that out the window. Blitz never utilizes its main star and is a rather full experience for it.

Brant is a rogue cop, like we've never seen one of those before, on the streets of London. He's got a serious attitude problem and he doesn't care. He's partnered up with a homosexual detective to take down a cop killer.

Statham has found his calling in these films, but after the success of Spy, he should definitely branch out to other roles. We've seen this guy do this film and do it better. Blitz is some kind of other monster all together. As I mentioned earlier, it never uses Statham to his full potential. There are no action/fighting scenes. Instead we are treated to one rather lazy and not in the least thrilling chase scene. I'm all for using Statham in unconventional ways, but this film felt lazy and uninspired. The biggest problem is how lazy Statham is here, it looks as if he doesn't even want to be in the film. Maybe he did it as a favour to a friend back in England? I would much rather see an unoriginal run of the mill Statham flick than this again because this film doesn't even try.

Paddy Considine is the homosexual detective who partners up with Statham. This relationship is never explored. There is zero chemistry between the two, no conflict, no friendliness and no inner struggle. Zero balance and lots of apathy. The one bright spot is it looks like Aidan Gillen is enjoying himself. He plays the Blitz, a guy running around killing cops. The reason is justified, but in the end it comes off as rather pathetic and not poetic enough.

The film is dull when it should be entertaining. This is probably the least entertaining Statham flick I've ever seen. It's not dramatic enough to be considered a serious film. It has subplots that have no relevance to the main point of the flick. Characters that come out of nowhere, have a few scenes and disappear again. An abrupt ending that doesn't wrap much up and a bored audience that wants their time back. Blitz is a film that I warn you to miss.

Jaws (1975) -

Checking one off that life of films I should've seen by now but for some reason haven't
Ha! Thanks to that excellent movie, I've been unable to wade into the ocean above waist deep.......since 1975!!..

~Doc

Welcome to the human race...
Damn, Suspect, what's with all the bad movies lately?

Baby Driver -

Not a bad movie.

So I went for this triple feature event with my wife last night.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - I had seen this movie many many times, and the experience was always the same. We heard a lot of audience clapped hands when the credit started rolling. IMHO, this is the strongest film in this trilogy.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Not as emotional as the first movie, but still a very solid story. Last night was my 2nd viewing, and I still liked it a lot.

War for the Planet of the Apes - Not gonna lie, both my wife and I were disappointed. This movie, for whatever reason, chose to carry a different tune, which left a different taste in the mouth. I was defending it by saying maybe the director wanted the audience to feel the pain and desperation from the war. Regardless, I am not a big fan of this new 'slow pace' style. Also, I saw a lot of typical Hollywood lazy writing in this movie, I said "How convenient!" many times during the movie. It seemed like they just wanted to put a quick end to this franchise. Please take this as a warning that the IMDB current rating is very inflated and do not hold your expectation too high.
Overall, I gave this movie a
and I knew I was being generous for the sake of Caesar.

War for the Planet of the Apes - Not gonna lie, both my wife and I were disappointed. This movie, for whatever reason, chose to carry a different tune, which left a different taste in the mouth. I was defending it by saying maybe the director wanted the audience to feel the pain and desperation from the war. Regardless, I am not a big fan of this new 'slow pace' style. Also, I saw a lot of typical Hollywood lazy writing in this movie, I said "How convenient!" many times during the movie. It seemed like they just wanted to put a quick end to this franchise. Please take this as a warning that the IMDB current rating is very inflated and do not hold your expectation too high.
Overall, I gave this movie a
and I knew I was being generous for the sake of Caesar.
What about the 81 from Metacritic or 93 on RottenTomatoes?