I'm directing a movie and want some people's opinions.

Tools    

Imagine:

Heat of battle, bullets pinging here and there... the hero has taken cover behind an upturned table/couch/whatever... right-handed gun, he's a left hander...
He's having to change mags... new mag in one hand, fumbles for a second or two with the gun's catch to release the empty mag... as the empty mag drops, he also drops the new mag just as more bullets start flinging around... "Sh*t" ... but quick as a flash he grabs the new mag off the floor, slams it into the ass end of the pistol... *k-chunk* of the new round being chambered and after that tension filled 7-10 seconds, he's away, firing again at the bad guys.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Would most people even notice? Hell, I didnt even know guns were left and right handed, but I wouldnt know a gun if I tripped over one and shot myself in the leg.

Does it show I know nothing about guns?

Ok, why not show the reload solely as him pushing the new clip in .... surely he can manage that wrong-handed. Leave the clip ejection off camera. Or does that somehow kill the scene?

I know nothing about guns either. I didn't know there was right handed and left handed guns. I wouldn't notice a problem in your scenario, so why not just go with what you've got and don't stress about it. If the film gets a massive release then it'll just be one of those anomolies people love to pick apart on imdb...oh hang on..

My immediate thought was, what if he's had his right hand amputated and is still trying to get used to using the prosthetic? So he's temporarily using his left – maybe he's even got his arm in a sling? I don't know what the procedure would be for a situation like that in the force, whether it would be like "instant desk job" or he'd be able to carry on in the field.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well in the script the cop has to do a lot of field work, kicking down doors, and shooting, and chases, and things like that. I am not sure if a cop would be allowed to be in the field if he only had one hand. Would he?

Plus the only reason why he would have one hand, is because of a flaw in a prop, and I am not sure I should be making such a specific story change, when the reasoning behind it, is a prop flaw on the set. But could a cop be in the field, with only one hand, and a prosthetic?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Is a reloading shot really necessary?

Or if so, can the reload itself be out of frame? Like just for that shot, put a close-up on the actor's head and shoulders while he goes through the motion of changing a magazine below frame, out of view from the audience? He's slightly looking down to the reloading while looking around to maintain situational awareness. After a beat or two lift the gun into frame in the left hand just as he locks the mag into place with his right, chamber a round, then cut to next shot. I would assume as long as you address the reality that he has to reload and has done so at least once (out of frame), then it might be enough from that point forward for the audience to not question how many rounds he fires. The audience can then assume he just reloads between shots from then on.

None of the awkward hand motion is seen by the audience. Really, he just has to mime the motions below frame and everyone will get it and understand what he is doing even if they cannot actually see him flip the release, pull the magazine, and insert a new. And you're avoiding all the clumsiness of him switching hands that might pull some audience members out of the moment. Just pause the action enough to do what's needed and you're right back into it.

Personally, I think the guy with a few days practice could learn to handle the weapon properly with the opposite hand. He just needs to live with it in hand for a while.

edit for framing:

Well in the script the cop has to do a lot of field work, kicking down doors, and shooting, and chases, and things like that. I am not sure if a cop would be allowed to be in the field if he only had one hand. Would he?

Plus the only reason why he would have one hand, is because of a flaw in a prop, and I am not sure I should be making such a specific story change, when the reasoning behind it, is a prop flaw on the set. But could a cop be in the field, with only one hand, and a prosthetic?
I defer to the members with expert knowledge .

Yes, I could but then the audience will be wondering, why is a left handed cop, using a right handed pistol, wouldn't they? Wouldn't they think, why didn't he just pick a left-handed one?
Hendrix played a righty guitar upside down and he was a lefty. Just use some creative editing and close ups for mag changes. Make it snappy and stylish, you'll be fine.

@ironpony EDIT:

Do a close-up with a reverse flip you can get in editing (image flip). Keep those scenes tight, up close and quick. Problem solved bro.

I Enjoy Working With People
I don't know that movie audiences would make a big deal out of the gun in the "wrong" hand, given that many people in real life use different hands for holding different objects. Many people are somewhat ambidextrous. Some viewers might notice and find it odd, but many would not make a big deal out of it.

I'm also wondering how much time the actor has spent trying to get used to holding the gun in his right hand. Is it really impossible for him to get used to it? He is an actor, after all.....

-- HAL9000

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Okay thanks. Well when it comes to reloading with the other hand, there are ways the actor can do it.

1. He can switch the gun to his right hand to reload and then switch it back to the left.

2. He can keep it in his left hand, and reach his right hand over to the other side, to hit both, the magazine release and the bolt release.

3. He can put the gun in his other hand, eject the mag, reload the new one, switch it back to his left hand, and then hit the bold release with his right hand.

Which of the 3 looks more normal, if any?