The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Knives Out is not the type of movie usually found on my ballot but I had a blast watching it.

I loved parts of Hell or High Water but didn't love the whole movie.

21. Certified Copy (#84)
22. Knives Out (#74)

71. The Act of Killing

Camera Person or Stories We Tell seem like better guesses (one has been taken), but I guess I'm just sticking with The Act of Killing until it happens apparently?

Knives Out and Hell or High Water...two more films that I haven't seen but I should.

72. American Sniper
71. Ida

I forgot the opening line.
These clues are at a level of inscrutability that I heartily approve of - time to think more outside that box.

74. Knives Out - Saw this for the first time a couple of years ago - and I've only seen it once despite owning it on Blu-Ray. I remember enjoying it enough for it to gain my approval, but if someone broke into my house right now, put a knife to my throat, and demanded that I recount the plot of Knives Out I'd be in serious trouble. Christopher Plummer dies, and it seems like he's been murdered - leading to speculation and a general mystery-solving conundrum amongst a bunch of characters I think. Daniel Craig is in it. I've never had a powerful urge to see it again (mystery films usually don't do much for me is why) so in general it was never going to make my list, despite it's quality. I don't remember if comedy played a big part in this film - but now that I think of it, comedy plays a big part in every big mainstream movie these days, if Knives Out can be classified as such. I have no urge to see the sequel either.

73. Hell or High Water - Yeah, a really good one this. Another case of being top-notch but not so deliriously loved by me to make my list of 25 films. I had to check my list so that I was 100% sure it wasn't there (as opposed to 99% sure) and that always means a film has seriously great credentials. Taylor Sheridan knows how to write a gripping screenplay, and I went through a period where I checked out everything he'd done (he was slipping a little towards mediocrity with Those Who Wish Me Dead.) Jeff Bridges is really, really great in this, and is ably backed up by the other three leads. It's a conflicted film, which adds interest - the villains are robbing banks for a mightily good reason, and when you find out why you kind of start to side with them a little, but at the same time it leaves us unmoored and gives the film a wonderful complexity that adds to the excitement. This film had to be in the top 100 - so I'm glad it's here.

Seen 20/28

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Knives Out for this countdown, and I liked it, but I didn't love it the way most people seem to love it. I usually love these types of whodunit movies, so maybe my expectations were just too high because the reviews were so good for it.

I watched Hell or High Water for the Westerns countdown, and it was a good movie, but it didn't make my list for either that countdown or this one.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Just out of curiousity, how many other people still haven't had one of their picks show up yet? I kind of want to start guessing when it'll happen but now that I've said that it'll probably be in the next set of reveals.
I suspect gbgoodies has not had any, have they?

I've only had one movie from my list show up so far. (My #24 was Avengers: Endgame.)

But I don't expect more than 3 or 4 movies from my list to show up on the countdown.

As ever having to go so far outside the box 'tis but a mere speck in the distance...
72. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
71. Frozen

At last, one of my picks got on the list! But first, Knives Out is a highly comic, twisty, and fun mystery that isn't really a mystery, but then it is. Kind of. I just liked the way it messed with my expectations at least. All the cast was fine, but Daniel Craig really brought the goods with his drawling detective. One of my cuts, unfortunately.

Hell or High Water is my #10. I just loved everything about it. A great movie in my view. Everyone was fine, but Jeff Bridges is the man! Very glad to see it here. Looking at my review, I'm embarrassed to see I used the phrase along the way three times. I should have replaced it twice with something like during the film and maybe, as the film progressed. Oh well, not gonna edit it now. I'm just happy to have one on here. It'll now probably be a long wait for another.

List:
#10. Hell or High Water #73

A system of cells interlinked
Pretty sure #71 is Cameraperson.
#72 is Another Earth

Hell or High Water was sone finely tuned filmmaking, but the story didn't really grip me until the third act, despite the good character development.

83/100. Seen 16/28.